VictorBana's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Beach or Touristic interest point

I tried to add a nice Beach in my area and I had no category for something like this, just gave me options as a religious point of interest or beach resort, but many travellers use Google Maps in order to find a nice beach in coastal areas, It will be great to add some beach details: as sand or rock beach, with restaurant or services, with parking, with life guard or not, quality of the water; and even real time flags and security advices. 

I'm sure Google maps users will love this category.

There is any way to add or suggest a new category?

Palma de Mallorca, España
12 comments
Level 10

Re: Beach or Touristic interest point

Hi Victor, 

I remember having had a "Public Beach" category (not even too long ago) but I cannot find it in Maps now. It is still there in MapMaker however (the categories seem to be completely messed up though).

Level 7

I searched for it in English and Spanish and no BEACHES or PUBLIC BEACHES, only Touristic Beach complex and othes shown in here

playa categorías google maps.jpg

Level 8

@Csaba @VictorBana,

When using Mapmaker with Chinese (Taiwan) as Display and Input language, pointing to random location in Taipei City, entering in Category "海灘" I got:

- 海灘(beach)渡假村(resort)

- 海灘(beach)遊戲(game)用品(goods)店(shop)

- 公共(public)海灘(beach)

When using Maps, entering "海灘" or "公共" I only got:

- 海灘(beach)渡假村(resort)

- 海灘(beach)遊戲(game)用品(goods)店(shop)

No 公共(public)海灘(beach) is available.

Thus Maps and Mapmaker available categories are different.

Level 7

Thank you @YK1001, as stated, No Beach or Public beach category. Thanks for your input¡¡¡

Level 7

Hello VictorB,

You can use the official Google My Business Location Categories to search for the possible names for beaches or coastal areas. It is also in multiple languages. 

Level 8

Hi @Osioke,

Thank you for the list.  First of all, there is no table for Chinese Taiwan.  It is not just a matter of translation.  Even for different English using regions, similar places will use different terms.  As the table has no Primary Key to relate the different language terms, it is not clear if they mean the same type of place in different languages.

Secondly, in that table, there is nothing closely matching Beach in Chinese-cn.  I can understood that, as it is from GMB - which is business oriented.

I really hope Google can bring more coherent environment among the major players in the Maps ecosystem.

It will make our life much easier.

Level 7

True @YK1001, I just use the name with the closest meaning, ask around what people would likely call the place and also compare across the en-GB and en-US sheets. Its a bit stressful, but I don't mind the stress because I know once I'm through it will make finding that place easier for the next person than it was for me.

Level 7

@Osioke Thank you for the input.

In English I have found NO:

Beach

Public Beach

Just found:

"Beach Resort"

In spanish:

"Complejo turístico en la playa":  Beach Touristic Complex

"Centro vacacional de playa": Beach Holiday Center

So there is not even 1 to 1 category translation.

There is a lot of work to do.

How can we help?

Level 8

I would like to see the official reply from Google about this issue. I remember I had asked the same question in the appropriate group on Facebook, but there was no reply at all.