TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Re: Answering accessibility questions on Google Maps

I believe that it is up to us as 'local guides' to include these types of places in our photo reviews and comments about places.

Level 1

@TraciC I have a question regarding the parameters and minimum dimensions used to determine accessibility when answering accessibility questions on Google Maps. According to the guide, the requirement for an entrance to be accessible is for it to be approximately one meter wide. Where does the one meter width requirement come from and was there any consultations regarding the minimum requirements for accessibility? This just came to mind, because I find the one meter width requirement a bit stringent, especially since most typical doors range between 760 mm and 950 mm. I believe that having one meter as the minimum approximate width is great but wouldn't that also mean that most locations would be identified as not accessible? I was also recently living in Taiwan and the minimum accessibility standard for door width there is 800 mm. If you can please give me more information on what the process was in determining the minimum requirements for each features that would be great. Thank you. 

Googler

Hi @kevin_nyk. This guide was created with the American Disabilities Act in mind and we encourage you to consider both one meter as a measurement as well as the width of two people, knowing that that can vary from place to place. Unfortunately there are no universal standards for wheelchair accessibility and many places are not wheelchair-accessible. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 2

Answering accessibility questions on Google Maps

how luckely i am.

Level 1

My dad just moved to the Denver area and he needs accommodations concerning mobility. Does anyone have a resource I could use to help me in my search to help my dad?

Level 6

I came here with the same question and request.  Many businesses are one story, therefore do not require an elevator.  Answering yes is lying because an elevator doesn't exist and gives the false impression of another floor with products/services, answering no gives an impression of inaccessibility.  I agree with the not applicable option, showing that the establishment has no need for such a accommodation.  How many stores do you know are 2 floors without an elevator for shopping carts compared to one story stores, except in older cities?

Once a not applicable option is added, this question will need reset for all businesses to gain the true answer for one story establishments.

Former Google Contributor

Thank you for the feedback, @Patch207. I definitely agree that accessibility questions do not apply to all businesses or places. When you come across such questions, feel free to flag them (this feature is available on Google Maps on Android only) so we can make improvements to the questions asked. 🙂 I will pass along the feedback to the team nonetheless.

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 6

WE ALL NEED THIS!!

At some point in life, everyone has changes in mobility and abilities.

In the meantime, there are 4 people in my life who (when out) are dependant on the kindness of others, to move tables, hold doors, help them in the bathroom, etc...

It often leads to avoiding going out at all. Seriously!! Don't get me started!!

There has been too little care and thought given to (some truly amazing) people of different abilities.

We all miss out by keeping them from access to the places we freely go in and out of. 

I am excited and hopeful that this project will not only make life easier for ... EVERYONE, but that it may encourage change in existing and future architecture.  

Yay!!! 

@TraciC wrote:

When answering questions on Google Maps, you may encounter four different kinds of questions related to accessibility:

Is there a wheelchair-accessible entrance?

Is there wheelchair-accessible seating?

Is there wheelchair-accessible parking?

Is there a wheelchair-accessible elevator?

Here are a few tips for answering these questions accurately to help those looking for accessible places:

Entrance.png

Is there a wheelchair-accessible entrance?

Answer yes if the entrance to the business is approximately one meter wide and does not have steps. One meter is approximately the minimum comfortable width for two people to stand right next to each other. If there are one or more steps, there should be preferably a permanent ramp, or at the very least, a moveable ramp. Entryways that consist of only revolving doors should be marked no.

Seating.png

Is there wheelchair-accessible seating?

Answer yes if the main area of the business can be accessed entirely without stairs and there is enough space that someone with a wheelchair can navigate and sit at a table. If all tables are high (e.g. at standing level), the business would not be wheelchair-friendly.

Parking.png

Is there wheelchair-accessible parking?

Answer yes if there is a parking spot specifically marked for those with accessibility needs. These are usually marked with specific painting on the ground, placards, or signs.

Elevator.png

Is there a wheelchair-accessible elevator?

Answer yes if the business is multistoried and there is an elevator that is large enough to accommodate a wheelchair.

Thank you for making Google Maps better for everyone!

Level 8

Hi Traci,  Thank you and your Google team for hosting the Accessibility meeting for Local Guides participants last night.  I was touched and learn more about how best improve the lives of those with access challenges.  I have one follow-up question: do you have the information in this as a PDF (one-page sheet).  I will like to share with others at work.  Thank you very much again.  Your enthusiasm to help others in contagious.  Best regards, Eduardo  PS say hie to Neil for taking my group around the exploration. 

Former Google Contributor

@eduardoj40, would this be what you are looking for? This post has more information and could potentially be something to share more widely. 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.