AndrewJens's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Address range problem

Hi all,

I believe that there is a problem with the way that Google Maps represents a street address range.

For example, if an address for a business is entered as "5 - 15 Clarke Street" Google Maps will change that to be "5/15 Clarke Street". I don't believe that "5/15" is correct because (at least in Australia) that really means "unit 5 at 15 Clarke Street". "5 - 15" should mean "the business that occupies street numbers 5 through to 15".

An example of this happened to me this morning when I suggested moving the map marker for the business Coles Supermarkets in Earlwood, Sydney, Australia: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Coles+Supermarkets/@-33.9259059,151.1231253,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1...

I think that my suggested move is pending, however you can see that the way that Google Maps is rendering "5/15 Clarke St" is causing a real problem. Because Google interprets "5 - 15" to be "5/15", it has placed the marker close to (where it thinks) "15 Clarke Street" is located – which is a couple of hundred metres west of where the business really is (opposite the intersection of Clarke St and Clarke Ln). The following picture shows where Google incorrectly placed the business and where it should be (at my blue cross in the yellow circle):

Earlwood5to15.GIF

I'm pretty sure that there's close to 0% chance of getting the way a street range is rendered altered in Google Maps, but it does seem to be a real issue.

Cheers,

Andrew.

5 - 15 Clarke Street, Earlwood, New South Wales, Australia
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: Address range problem

Hi @AndrewJens,

I guess you can either mention the Experts to draw their attention to this topic, or  cross link to the "Mapping your World" board later if your question is still not resolved.

Mapping Your World

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @AndrewJens,

If I recall correctly, I read from Mapmaker forum that we need to use the same format for Address in Maps - for everywhere in the world.

Now, the problem is, when there are countless different local formats and meanings, what is the best practice to adjust them to fit into the single Maps format.

For example, in Hongkong, the local format to represent street number range is also No. 17-25.

But in Taiwan, if you see No. 36-1, it is actually means "Part 1" or Number 36.  (For how many parts Number 36 has been sub-divided, it is not know)

So far, I don't know what is the correct format in Maps for Street Number range, thus I want the Experts can jump in and give us more ideas.

Our Mapping Experts usually monitor more close at the "Mapping your World" board - as it is exactly created for this kind of questions.

Level 8

Hi @YK1001,

Do you have a link to the "Mapping your World" board?

Would you suggest reposting there or should I post a link to this thread?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Level 8
Solution

Hi @AndrewJens,

I guess you can either mention the Experts to draw their attention to this topic, or  cross link to the "Mapping your World" board later if your question is still not resolved.

Mapping Your World

Level 8

Hi @YK1001,

Thanks. I've recreated the issue at Mapping Your World: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Address-range-problem/td-p/66150/jump-to/fi...

Cheers,

Andrew.