DrCharlieM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Adding sounds or audio to places

I am working on a topophonics project and would like to know how to add sound files, audio to specific places please? 

Thank you

Dr Charlie Mansfield 

12 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Audio for Places on Google Maps - The Urban Topophonics Project at Plymouth University

@LucioV I merged the posts as they were duplicative. 

@DrCharlieM Please make sure any images you upload to Google Maps abide by our policies. Adding large watermarks (or in this case a QR code) is not permitted. Nor is it all that practical honestly as most people are using Maps on their phone so wouldn't be able to take a picture of a QR code on their phone... The idea of an aural recording is very interesting though. I'll make sure we include this feature request in our next report to the product team. Thank you for bringing your creative idea here to our community 🙂

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

Re: Adding sounds or audio to places

Photos only. No video or audio

Level 7

Re: Adding sounds or audio to places - urban topophonics

A step forward today in my research project on urban topophonics, Using Google Drive and Google url Shortener I have made a QR Scan link to my short audio recording from a place on Google Maps.  Please take a look at this url https://goo.gl/maps/aha1mVqkia82 - it is an ongoing development so I am keen to hear any suggestions for improvement.

Warm wishes from Devon in the UK

Charlie

Level 10

Re: Adding sounds or audio to places

You can use third party tools, as like as Kolor PanoTour Pro to add sounds to your 360. 😉

Level 7

Audio for Places on Google Maps - The Urban Topophonics Project at Plymouth University

3-March-2017, England: I have been experimenting with adding sound files to places on maps that capture and present some of the atmosphere for the visitor. It can all be done using Google's free user applications. Please take a peek and let me know what you think. It is part of a 5-year post-doctoral project with Plymouth University and so hopefully I will be able to update you on developments and collaborations https://goo.gl/maps/aha1mVqkia82

Best wishes

Charlie

Dr Charlie Mansfield

Level 10

Re: Audio for Places on Google Maps - The Urban Topophonics Project at Plymouth University

Level 7

I am not sure how the merge happened. I'm still new to this forum. 

Warmest wishes from England

Charlie

Level 9
Level 9

@DR CharlieM wrote:

I have been experimenting with adding sound files to places on maps

A fascinating idea but are you sure Google approves of this? It would be a great pity to find it's not permitted and have all your work removed. Perhaps @Corrie or @TraciC could comment?

Former Google Contributor
Solution

@LucioV I merged the posts as they were duplicative. 

@DrCharlieM Please make sure any images you upload to Google Maps abide by our policies. Adding large watermarks (or in this case a QR code) is not permitted. Nor is it all that practical honestly as most people are using Maps on their phone so wouldn't be able to take a picture of a QR code on their phone... The idea of an aural recording is very interesting though. I'll make sure we include this feature request in our next report to the product team. Thank you for bringing your creative idea here to our community 🙂

Level 7

Thank you for that @Corrie our university research project in the UK and France to add sound to guided heritage walks for people continues. It would be very exciting if Google were interested in making it easier to add audio to places and to routes.  I am making some mock-ups at the moment on Berry Pomeroy Castle here in Devon, UK for a conference on topophonics and during early April 2017 we will be working with a group of guides in Nantes, France to design a new walking route with audio recordings.  

I am always very keen to hear from other researchers working in this field of visitor guides.

Warm wishes from England

Charlie

Dr Charlie Mansfield

Plymouth University

Berry Pomeroy Castle in Devon, UKBerry Pomeroy Castle in Devon, UKDetail of the 400 year old seats at Berry Pomeroy Castle, Devon UKDetail of the 400 year old seats at Berry Pomeroy Castle, Devon UK