OkanS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Adding old photos

Hi I have added malaysia Kuala lumpur petronas towers photos which I took in 2004. One of my friends advised that this is not proper with the aim of Google maps because 1- we should add the latest photos where we have visited 2- Google maps is not our personal photo storage. 

But I think if I add a caption (description) of a photo and write that this photo was taken in 2004 do you think does it comply with the Google maps rules or goals? I believe it is a public service to maps users that they can see the older photos of the place where they plan to visit.  

5 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Solution

Re: Adding old photos

Hello @OkanS

Maybe to add on what @Pea has contributed. On a personal level if the place hasnt changed since then. Like the physical structure and wordings about the place. I believe it can be added.

Regards

JonasK

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

@LuisRG perhaps you, @Corrie or photo expert @AnnaDickson can comment 

I discussed this elsewhere with Okan, my concern is that we can't know if a 13 year old photo is still relevant to a place and photos should be added to reflect our recent personal experiences and help map users understand what places look like now, not be an historical record or a global personal album. A custom map might be better for that https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

Level 10

@Pea it's absolutely right!

As soon as a photo is valuable for the placepage, you should post it, if you deserve right to do so!

Sometimes i stretch this rule, uploading historical pictures of a place, to show what was like, many years ago.

Level 9
Solution

Hello @OkanS

Maybe to add on what @Pea has contributed. On a personal level if the place hasnt changed since then. Like the physical structure and wordings about the place. I believe it can be added.

Regards

JonasK

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Level 5

Thank you @LucioV that's what I exactly think.  As long as uploader describes to the users this photo is taken on xx year it is not erode of trust and may still be beneficial to maps users 

Level 7

@LucioV - How are you labeling your slightly 'historic' poi's or photos?  I've run across this issue and generally don't add pictures unless the building and business haven't changed.  But there are some historical buildings that were torn down or landmarks or places with significant community value.  I'd like to stick to whatever convention is accepted.

(as a caveat to this, there have been discussions in the Google Earth forums on time metadata (from and to) being included.  I know this doesn't exist in Google Maps UI at the moment)