PetriM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Adding category: iceroad to a place in maps

Hi!

How do I add the category iceroad (jäätie in Finnish)? I just added this place to maps https://goo.gl/maps/MggMruz2dBL2 but I could not categorize it correctly. It is the only iceroad that is maintained by the state of Finland. There are plenty of private iceroads during wintertime. Iceroads shortens travel distance during winter time. This iceroad currently as a weight limit of 4,5 tons.

Cheers,

Petri

ps. are there other local guides from Finland here? 

16 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Adding category: iceroad to a place in maps

Hi @PetriM,

For today it's not possible for the normal users of Maps or Map Maker or Local Guide.
The only way is Send a feedback to the Google Maps Team through the app or web service
as it is described in this Google Maps Help Center article:

Steps to report an error on the map

Please add all necessery data, description, even images to proof that your report is full and reliable.

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

Hi @PetriM,

For today it's not possible for the normal users of Maps or Map Maker or Local Guide.
The only way is Send a feedback to the Google Maps Team through the app or web service
as it is described in this Google Maps Help Center article:

Steps to report an error on the map

Please add all necessery data, description, even images to proof that your report is full and reliable.

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Level 9
Level 9

Hi @PetriM

The feature you have added is not mappable and you should delete it right away.

The fact that you couldn't find an applicable category is often a good sign that something can't be added by Local Guides. It's tempting to use a 'workaround' but that ends up with bad data on the map. As it stands you have created a listing for a fictitious business called Räisälä Ice Road and they are an asphalt contractor - though you have given them the website for the real company, Finferries.

Level 3

Thanks Jacek will send feedback to the maps team. Along with photos and videos.

Cheers,

Petri

Level 3

Hi Philip,

The only thing fictitious about my post is the Asphalt contractor part. The company Finnferries are the ones maintaining the iceroad and the short ferry route in summer time. The phone number is specific for this route and iceroad. Please see webpage http://www.finferries.fi/en/ferry-traffic/ferries-and-schedules/raisala.html. The reason why this place should be is that the iceroad shortens the distance from the nearby Suomu ski-resort to Kemijärvi quite a bit. Additionally should tourists find the iceroad on Google Maps it could be considered quite an exotic place to see and even drive your car on the iceroad. This iceroad in Räisälä is the only one maintained by the state of Finland, through Finnferries. It would be nice if maps could add weight restrictions etc. to the spot as well. What do you think could be a more appropriate category? Also will follow Jaceks advice in giving feedback along with photos and videos to the maps team.

Cheers,

Petri  

Level 9
Level 9

@PetriM wrote:

The only thing fictitious about my post is the Asphalt contractor part....What do you think could be a more appropriate category?

Hi Petri

Your reasons for wanting the ice road on the map are completely understandable and laudable but that's not how Google Maps and the LG program work. As was mentioned above, adding an ice road is not something that can currently be done by us normal users, so it's not a question of finding a more appropriate category. 

Level 3

Hey Jacek and Philip. 

IMG_20170102_164609-01.jpeg

Just wanted to post the link to my video so I can show you proof of the iceroad. Here it goes. Apologies for the shakes and low light. Time was 16:45ish we only have ~3h on day at this time of the year. Have sent feedback to the maps team. Unfortunately the function did not allow me to send videos or photos. Also a photo of the phone-number, which is the same as in the FinnFerries website along with breaktimes for the ferry-drivers when the ferry is in use. Obviously during the iceroad period these are no in use. I want to note that is ferry is during summer time free of charge.

Cheers,

Petri

Level 9
Level 9

Hi @PetriM great video and I would certainly love to do that drive! Just to be clear though, you didn't need to post that because the existence of the iceroad was never in doubt, you don't need to prove anything. The problem is not a lack of proof, the problem for you is that Google does not map seasonal roads. There are many things that exist in the real world that Google does not map. You can see those things, touch them, take photos and videos and it won't make any difference, they are simply considered not mappable.

Level 10

@PetriM

Great job!

@Pea

Many things are not mappable by normal users but we don't know what is mappable by Google.

For example it's possible to add public transport informations by special tool for transport authorities.

Another exmaple - ski lifts. Google was able to add to GMaps ski lifts in some countries.

So, reporting via feedback tool some things that we think that should be published to the maps is the way that could solve such "lack" of the maps.

Maybe not at once, not today or not in this year, but many reports of such lacks could occur that some day Google publish such changes.

Regards,

Jacek

Level 9
Level 9

@Jacek NK wrote:

So, reporting via feedback tool some things that we think that should be published to the maps is the way that could solve such "lack" of the maps.

Maybe not at once, not today or not in this year, but many reports of such lacks could occur that some day Google publish such changes. 

Absolutely, yes it's always worth putting through feedback like that as a kind of wishlist. I was just referring to things as they stand now, hoping to manage Petri's expectations so he's not disappointed or returns here in a few weeks saying "I put in that report and nothing has happened yet, when will the ice road go live" because in all likelihood it won't. A request to implement seasonal roads was put in many years ago under issue #565 and AFAIK nothing happened, so don't hold your breath in expectation.

In the meantime we are left with Petri's original submission live on the map, a listing for an asphalt contractor that doesn't exist.