BigDumbJay's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Adding captions to Google Maps photos on desktop/laptop computer

Does anyone have a way to add captions to Google Maps photos using a desktop/laptop computer?

Yes, I know it is easy to add captions with your phone in the Google Maps application, but I upload a lot of photos from hoity-toity restaurants featuring dishes with elaborate French names that are a pain to type out on a phone for a non-native French speaker like me.

There used to be a way to add captions using the now-deprecated Google+ Classic.

With the death of Google+ Classic, it seems that Google has killed any way for someone to add captions to photos on their desktop/laptop computer. Why would they do this?!

5 comments
Level 8

Re: Adding captions to Google Maps photos on desktop/laptop computer

Hii @BigDumbJay

That depends on how you add the photo to Maps. I usually do it lately on my Android phone by going to the Google Maps app first, finding the business-restaurant..etc. then choosing to "add photo"  Once I either take the photo or choose it from my gallery ( stored in Google Photos), there is an onscreen option to write a caption. Then after writing the caption, I click on the "send" icon and it gets shared to maps with the caption. See screenshot below.

If you want to go back and add a caption or title after you have already shared to maps, you can do it by the following method.

On an Mobile device, go to Maps, go to the menu in upper left. Select "my contributions". Find your photos. Click on the pencil (edit) icon. You will then have the opportunity to add a caption.

On a desktop  Go to Google Maps, menu in upper left, select "my contributions", find the photos category. Select the photo you want to edit. It will open full screen, then click on the name of the photo in upper left. It will then open ( eventually ) in Google + photos. To change the title of the image, click on the "i" (for information) On the right side you can fill in a name for the photo.

I think the first method is easier

I hope it helps you.

Keep Up The Good Work.

Level 10

Hi @BigDumbJay

This is my workflow of adding photos to map places (I like to do it from desktop as I can see larger than on my phone): 

1. I use Google Photos (GP) to organize my pics.
  2. I add maps photos to albums in GP and tweak them there (straighten, usually add the "auto" filter which works well most of the times, crop etc.)
  3. Under the "Info" menu, there is a description field (see attached screenshot - obviously not of a "mappable" picture though 🙂
  4. Once you write something in there and add the image from "Your photos" on desktop (see attached pic #2), that description text will also be transferred to the map image.

Important notes: 

1. You need to put the image into an album in GP as maps do not recognize individual photos otherwise. 
  2. The description will obviously only appear in a single language in place of the place name when viewing the photo (see attached pic #3 - a food photo with a description in Hungarian language)

Sorry, it seems that for some unknown (buggy?) reason I cannot attach pictures. I hope the description is still clear and I will try to add the photos later. 

Edit: I uploaded the images to GP so that you can see them here: https://goo.gl/photos/BvUeiEXjkd45Ge7w8

Level 9

The desktop method no longer seems to work - after clicking on an image, there's no title to click on and edit.  If I click on the name of the place in the top left corner, the photo opens in Google+, but there's still no title to click on.  I don't like typing on my phone, so maybe I'll in stall an Android emulator on my computer...

Level 8

I have the same problem.
Good to see Google support is doing it's usual banged up job.

Original problem posted April 2018, it's now the end of October.

Connect Moderator

Adding captions should be a very simple procedure but sadly it's not....get behind this suggestion to muscle up some interest and encourage Google to do something about this.