Sangamesh-P-H's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Access to Google MapMaker

Hi Team,

I am looking for access to Google MapMaker. Currently all places in Karnataka are not named with regional language (that is Kannada). Most of users in Karnataka are not able to effectively utilise Google maps because of this. There are 1 million cab drivers who only speak, read and write Kannada. There are integral part of Karnataka who provide very valuable service to every person visiting Karnataka. I somehow missed the window of adding alternative name in native language using Google MapMaker. But given an opportunity I would love to do this job. Please provide this option (May be in controlled manner) and we shall help many people.

If there is any other way to solve this problem, I would be happy to listen. 🙂

Thank you,

-/Sammi

2 comments
Level 8

Re: Access to Google MapMaker

Hi @Sangamesh-P-H,

Google Mapmaker is closed at the end of March, 2017.

Google is developing functions to Maps.  Not much progress has been published in Maps so far, but I can see some encouraging signs they are coming anytime.

If you want to assist in correcting language specific issues of Names in Maps, you can submit a spreadsheet containing the list of Names in different language.  Sometimes, Maps team will pick that up for their future use.

Level 10

Re: Access to Google MapMaker

Hi @Sangamesh-P-H

It seems Google Maps recognizes Kannada language with no issues. If you change the language of Google Maps (on desktop) to Kannada (either from the hamburger menu at the top left or adding/changing this tiny URL parameter at the end of the URL of a place to ?hl=kn), and suggest an edit, click on the name, you will be able to add a name in Kannada language. Here is an electronic goods store (or whatever) for instance, "eZone. It only has an English name at the moment but you can add your own name to it. 

It may seem to be quite a big job to do this with all important places of course. 

On a mobile, you need to change the whole UI language to be able to do this.