YK1001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Multi language

We can discuss how to make a good Name translation in another thread.

This thread is for those of us LGs that already know the correct Names in extra Languages, that just need a little help on how to enter them into Maps.

Level 8

Re: Multi language

Level 10

Re: To enter Place Name in Multiple Languages

I had done that few months ago and collected some points. I thought that Is is familiar to all.

Its quite good to see our place in our language and  other languages too. Thanks for sharing @YK1001

Level 8

You are welcome, @BishowvijayaP!

Level 10

Hello SampsonF, 

I read the clarification in this post which I needed badly and more. 

I live in Chennai, Tamil Nadu State, India In Tamil Nadu. There are resident people who speak Languages of the neighbouring states besides English & Hindi as Tourist Languages. So, there is a need to tag the title at least in five different Languages, namely the Regional Tamil + the neighbouring Malayalam, Telugu, Hindi + the Default English. This is required very much to ensure that the other language speaking people mispronounce or mistranslate. Though the people in India open Google Maps in default English Language there is often a misunderstanding in pronunciation or meaning as it is in English -not every one will change to the regional language for browsing ( as misunderstanding normally happens from English to other languages in the absence of phonetic symbols)  It may be difficult to switch over to other language in the OS and it becomes cumbersome. 

As a suggestion I would like to add a screen shot of how wikimapia enables an option to change the languages - toggle from one to another very easily in the default English page itself ( without changing the language in the  operating system.

Screen Shot of Wikimapia  page for  editing /adding  different languagesScreen Shot of Wikimapia page for editing /adding different languages

(1) Is it possible to add multiple Language Title in the Google Maps / or this can be enabled in future?

(2) Having tagged the different Language Title in the present system will the Google Maps segregate automatically in different Languages?

(3) In the absence of such provision will Google Maps Admin accept the translated/Transliterated Titles  in the Review field?

(4) If not, will the Google Maps Admin consider introduction of another field for "Description" of the Title so that the contributor would briefly add the meaning of the title with translated content in order to ensure the correctness of  the transliterated title which are mostly translated very awkwardly ?

(5) In the absence of possibility of anyof the above, will a Textual image containing the title in other languages will be accepted.

Solution to all the above points will be highly appreciated and help all other contributors too who face a similar need.

I wish to remain as a Global Contributor.

with regards 

Dhanasekaran

(ðʌnʌseɪkərʌn  >> தனசேகரன் )

Dhanasekaran
Level 7

Hindi name of places

How to add hindi name of some places. Feel glad if anyone will help me.

Level 9

Re: Hindi name of places

Hi @mogulshri:

Have you seen this post? It has some information on how to add multiple languages for places on maps.

I'll also be moving your post to keep the discussion together. Thanks!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 7

Re: Hindi name of places

It means i can but by desktop not by my mobiles maps application?

Level 10

Though I find  a Language toggle available in the menu at the left margin, it enables to add in different language in addition to the original default post in English - i.e. we need to click again the option as  "Add a missing place"  to add a title in a different language. This results in two or more different tags at the same spot.

In a tourist spot it is desired that several Languages may be tagged. If this is edited several time in different Languages at the same spot the map will show the spot awkwardly. Instead, typing the different languages in the default title field or in the secondary, third,... title field (usually not available for edit  at present) may be accepted/ approved by Google Maps.

It may please be appreciated ( as we see in some currency notes) multiple language is necessary in the default map itself; one default English, the regional, the national the neighboring State/Country Language at border posts.Usually the title limits to certain fixed characters in display. The display can be shown in full on hovering the mouse over it. 

Two more languages in the default title field itself are necessary for the following reasons.

1. Whenever a proper noun of the title in other language is posted in roman script the English title is mostly mispronounced.

2. The English transliteration of proper noun is awkward discarding the period of the syllable, stress of syllable.

3 The silent letters are actually pronounced in other non European languages. 

4. Some syllable in english has to be transliterated in other languages very differently (Nation will be Neshan in Tamil or Hindi for transliteration)

5.The natural tendency of the reader of the title will be in their own mother tongue when the title displays in many languages and " not to be regarded as a Clutter" to allow two more languages.

6. Alternatively, the Admin may introduce a system for automatic tagging of the languages in its individual Language page while the contributor will be required to edit just once with different titles in the default page.

- Dhanasekaran M    

Dhanasekaran
Level 8

Hi @Dhanasekaran_Muthu,

We should not add the same POI twice, ad you said, it will create duplicate POIs.

When adding a missing place, we enter details in ONE language.  Then we wait for the new POI to be published, then edit in a second language, etc.