YK1001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Multi language

@YK1001, fantastic I found this thread.. 

Regarding "After 9 months, I find the feature is quite stable, and Places with Multiple Language Names are more abundant."

I find many POIs that don't support multiple language names.. some does, some don't .. in same setting on my browser and pc.. and even same categories like say some Restaurants, I just cannot input different language names for some POIs, the second field just don't show up..

Why is this so, I could not find an explanation.. 

Level 8

Hi @StephenAbraham,

Can you link some of those POI that you cannot add Names in extra Language?  It will allow me to do some studies.

Level 10

@YK1001, never mind.. I figured it out just now.. apparently after I add in the second language, when approved and applied, and if I edit again, only a single field shows up.. double field only shows up if the secondary language name is blank..

I must have got confused because some POIs may already have a second language, but the second field doesn't show up when editing.. it basically means, it's already there.. 

Thanks again.. for making me investigate and understanding.. 🙂

Level 8

For me, when a POI already have Names in 3 different language which all of them are different than the language my mobile is using, when I do an edit, 4 fields will be shown.

So it sounds to me something is not right if you only see 1 language fields if that POI already has Names in two different languages.

Level 10

@YK1001 Thanks.. I am using Desktop Maps on Chrome. I will check out the Maps app later.. I suspect that should be fine as you state.. 

Connect Moderator

Re: To enter Place Name in Multiple Languages

Level 8

Re: To enter Place Name in Multiple Languages

Thank you for your kindness, @ErmesT!

Level 8

@YK1001

Thank you for your tutorial, but I think Google is getting it wrong when trying to translate all names of places. Yes, the Eiffel Tower is known as such in English and we do not call it the "Tour Eiffel" unless you speak French. But some names, in particular names of restaurants and businesses, the name is part of a brand. The "Tour de France" does not become "Tour of France" in English.

Now, changing them to another script (e.g. as Chinese letters are not the same as English letters) from one language writing style to another, that all makes sense. But when I am in Spain and a French restaurant is called "Mon Ami" it does NOT make sense to translate this to "Mi Amigo".

Level 8

Hi @JeroenM,

POI Name translation is tricky - no doubt about that.

Just that I am not sure where does those POI names in extra languages come from?

One for sure, is we LGs can add them.  But is Google using Auto-Translation to come up with those extra names?  

I also want to know.

Level 8

@YK1001

Yes,  I am under the impression that Google makes some auto-translations. However, when answering Do you know this place? questions (not to confuse with check the facts) I have been asked about a name translation as well. That, to me, makes a lot more sense, before putting silly unhelpful translations on the map. 

My concern is, that the question asked is wrong. It asks about the translation, so people might think yes that is what it translates to, HOWEVER the question should be, how do people call this place in English (read: replace English with other languages)? That is not the same as how do you translate the name.

When I come accros this, I flag the question and when I come across a silly name, I edit it back to the name "Mon Ami" as per my above example. I have not noticed that these Name edits of mine are not approved, but I shall look into it again, as they are pending for a long time.