TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

Tip: Sending a private message

As Local Guides Connect is a (mostly) public forum, you should never share your personal or contact information publicly. Instead, we encourage you to use the private messaging feature available here on Connect once you are logged in.

Sending a private message from the private message area aka your inbox

Visit the private messages area, accessible via this link or by navigating to your face in the top right corner and clicking on the mail icon:

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 5.56.47 PM.png

Once in your private messages area, click on "New Message" on the right:

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 5.57.59 PM.png

In the "Send to" area, input the Connect username of the person you want to message (which you can find based on their post or by searching within the community). If there are multiple people with the same username, you will see a list of people with the same username so you can select the correct person:

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 6.02.03 PM.png

Create a subject, write a message and then send! 

Sending a message from someone's profile

Click on someone's Connect username when you see them in Connect (shown in orange below when viewing their post):

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 6.08.45 PM.png

You'll be taken to their profile where, if they have private messaging enabled, you'll see an option to "Send this user a private message" on the right: 

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 6.11.45 PM.png

Click on "send this user a private message" to open up the private messaging feature with the person's Connect username pre-populated, create a subject, write a message and click send: 

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 6.14.42 PM.png

I hope this information has been helpful! 

P.S. If you do not want to allow others to send you private messages, you can turn that option off

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
11 comments
Level 10

Re: Tip: Sending a private message

@TraciC

Could you please show me what different between two kinds of send-button on some Local Guides' profile, like these pictures below?

Thank you so much.Blue Send-ButtonBlue Send-Button

Grey Send-ButtonGrey Send-Button

Thanh Lan

LG Summit Attendee in 2016 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Regional Lead before 2017
Former Google Contributor

Hello @ThanhLan,

Both send buttons perform the same function. If you want to send a message to another Local Guide, feel free to click the option most immediately presented to you. Hope this helps.

Level 10

Thank you @ArielleM_

That's help about the function of the buttons, but it not my point. I think/guess the colour of the button is the way to distinguish between online account and offline account, it doesn't mention to Googler account or normal user account.

Level 9

very informative. Thanks for sharing

Nigeria  
Level 6

Thanks 

Quyết
Former Google Contributor

Hey @ThanhLan,

Sure! Would you mind providing a bit more detail around your experience then? Where did you navigate to find the blue "Send this user a message" text? This display is not specific to messaging a Googler, in fact, it is not present when I attempt to replicate from my end. Are you viewing the website from your phone? Perhaps your desktop?

Let me know, thanks.

Level 5

Not use incorrect web browser .

Only use safe browser

Level 10

Dear @ArielleM_

The photo in the previous post (which replied to TraciC) was taken from a Firefox browser on my desktop.

The photo below was taken from my mobile phone with iOS 10.2, Safari browser. I just checked with some Connect users with ID 559809, 9, 277, 343, respectively.

Blue & grey send buttonBlue & grey send button

Thank you for your care.

Level 10

Namaskar..

@TraciC 

Thanks for this info, which I experienced form 2 year's,

But sometimes I don't show private message Link / option for some once profile, then how to connect them privately..