Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps

Googler

UPDATE: As of June 11, 2020, we now have a new process in place for reporting abusive activity on Google Maps. You can report entire profiles on Google Maps from your mobile device. Read this post to learn more.

Have you ever come across a place on Google Maps that doesn’t really exist? How about a place with incorrect details that look suspicious? These edits violate the Google My Business guidelines and Local Guides guidelines, and they’re considered fraud.

People post fraud on Google Maps for the sake of profit-generating scams, which hurt legitimate businesses and make Maps less useful for everyone. You can help fight spam by reporting violations.

Maps listings with keywords in their address fieldsMaps listings with keywords in their address fields

.:: How do I identify fraud on Google Maps? Look for the following.

• Businesses that list a P.O. Box, post office or virtual office as an address. A business needs to have a real-world address to be listed on Google Maps. Virtual offices and shared workspaces are acceptable if they’re staffed during typical business hours, but be aware that using these types of places as addresses is a popular fraud technique. P.O. Boxes are OK in countries where they are essential, such as Kenya and the U.A.E.
  • Online-only businesses. Online businesses that don’t meet customers face-to-face are not eligible to be on Maps.
  • Businesses that don’t exist. If a business is on Maps but is not real, it should be reported.
  • Businesses that use employees’ addresses. The scam here is to make it appear that the business has locations in places where it doesn’t actually operate. If you see a business that seems to be in a purely residential area, this might be the reason.
  • Keyword “stuffing.” If you see search terms “stuffed” into place names or address fields, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Fake websites or phone numbers. For example, a fraudulent hotel listing might include a hotel booking site instead of a site for an individual business. If a business’s site seems broken or distributes malware, that’s a sign of a fraudulent listing.
  • Business impersonators: Some people create fake listings for real businesses, such as national chains. If you think a listing might be fraudulent, check the brand’s official site to see its legitimate locations.
  • Reviews that point out abuse. Sometimes, people will notice a fraudulent listing and note it in a review.
  • Profanity. Sometimes, people will deface legitimate listings with edits that include foul language.
  • Illegal businesses: If a business is illegal where it operates, it can’t be on Google Maps.

.::How do I report fraud on Google Maps?

1. Find the business on Google Maps
  2. Scroll down and select Suggest an edit
  3. Tap Place is permanently closed or has never existed
  4. Select Spam, fake or offensive as the reason
  5. Tap Submit

Report the listing as spam flowReport the listing as spam flow

.::Reporting a Local Guide

If you've found a Local Guide contributing content or behaving in a way that seems to violate our policies or Local Guides program rules, you now have the ability to report these profiles directly in the Google Maps app. In order to do so, click on the user name in the list of Reviews/Photos they contributed or the Question/Answer they posted to get to their profile page. Once on their profile page, click on the three dot icon. Choose ‘Report’ from the menu on iOS or ‘Report profile’ on Android. For additional information, read this post.

.::Reporting spammed, fake, or duplicate prominent locations to Google Moderators

There are certain prominent places which Local Guides can’t edit in Google Maps, such as cities, towns, rivers, natural formations, and more. If you come across a spammed, fake or duplicate location for which you cannot submit an edit or your edit is automatically rejected, let us know in a comment below. Make sure to tag a Google Moderator and provide the following details: 

• Google Maps URL of the location (Eg: https://goo.gl/maps/qAZfCWDfZzoqchHL9);
  • What’s wrong with the place? Is it spammed, fake, or duplicate?
  • Which is the wrong information? Is it the name, category, or contact information?
  • What should the correct information be? Tell us the original name of the place in English and in the local language (if applicable), the right category (Zoo, Museum, etc.), and the correct contact information (official website, address, phone number, etc.).
2,851 Comments
Level 6
I have run into a network of local guides that are violating Google Maps' policies or Local Guides program rules.

They are placing fake reviews of multiple google businesses which all link to the same telephone number.

Reporting each of these users separately via the normal way(in the google maps app) would belie the orchestrated way in which they work.

@BruceDM could we open a line of communication to resolve this please.

More details on the issue :

I searched for a service provider in my area via Google Maps and noticed a lot of different business names but with similar phone numbers.

I'm quite amazed that this kind of scamming is possible since its so easy(algorithmicly) to check that multiple business pages doesn't point to the same cellphone number.

I analyzed the first 5 pages of Google results which gave 92 business names.

Of these 92, 40 are real and a staggering 52 are 'purposeful duplicates' meant to funnel customers away from real competitors.

Of these 52 'purposeful duplicates' 34  point to the same cellphone number.

The second biggest scammer has 10 of the 52 businesses pages pointing to his/her number.

I decided to report each of these businesses as duplicates but as I viewed them I realized that all of their reviews were done by family members with the same surname.

I decided to report these users as well. But then discovered that although it was often a user with the same name and surname, if was actually about 8 different google accounts with the same name.

That's when I decided to not manually report any of the guides/businesses and rather turn to the Connect Forum for assistance.
Level 8

L9 Local Guide, 317 videos and 10K images uploaded, but only 7 reviews and 4 rates.

Most videos are virals.

Former Google Contributor

@NiloV - check your inbox! 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 5

Hi, @JeslynL! I know you're not able to share the results of the investigation, but the reviews are still there more than a month later, and I know for a fact the place isn't open since I drove by there a few days ago and there's still an "Opening Soon!" sign in the window. I guess Google doesn't care that people are leaving reviews for (basically) non-existent places?

Level 8

I know it the policy of google that they won't share investigation result, but we true google local guides deserves to know.

Level 7

Nice question @Djohnson

Level 10

@MariaBi

Thank you for your introduction.

Regards,

LG Summit Attendee in 2016 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Regional Lead before 2017

Hey @KathB,

I'll be moving your post to this thread in order to keep our discussions organized.

Thanks for understanding!

Level 5

Hi @GeorgesHR, how can i report a Local Guide that uses it's account only to abuse of the questions and answers function to spam its activity?

Hey @lollofra,

Thanks for reaching out.

I will contact you over a private message with more information. In the meantime, please note that I have merged your topic here - Report a Spammer.

As a side note I would like to remind you that in order to participate in the Local Guides program, you have to be at least 18 years old - Local Guides Program Terms and Conditions.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 10

@Atsukot

Kindly send private message since i noticed Spam for for a Reviewer having   so many Reviews  which were having  only one word 'good'  and getting 11 points and no tools to filter it. Another thing  is that  most of such reviews are getting helping votes 6 or  with  one or two days.. That means the Reviewer has duplicate accounts or getting help from friends. Kindly do the needful. 

jojo
Level 10

thanks, and that's a LOT OF READING, almost a deterrent for those who have a life and wish to make maps a better place, I suggest a SPAMMER hotlink

where gross offenders an be reported without the master class of google TOS.  and BTW my tagging moderators has not resulted in the SPAMMER in question having been dealt with, he is now a jolly level TEN and 1005 based of trash posts.

JMS
Level 9

@jojo522

Search for Digital Marketing you will find masters in Spam 

We at Kerala Local Guides are removing spam . But claimed business owners will break the rules 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 10

SPAM is disgusting and contaminates everything where it appears.  Current TOS and violation report procedures in place are OBSTACLES and

time consuming for any putative SPAM of ABUSE reporter.  Imagine the 911  emergency number would be "emergencyreportinghotlibeforurgencasesforwdslashavailabletwentyfourhousesunderscore_readinstructionsB4pickingupyourphone_anddial911"

this extreme example is my perception of google maps SPAMMER reporting procedure.

let's make MAPS more useful and take down bad hombres (and mujeres) who post SPAM as a sport.

JMS
Connect Moderator

Hello @C9H13NO3,

Reading over your many posts in many threads, I ask you to consider a few things:

1. Reporting someone and then less than 24 hours later complaining that it isn't resolved in unrealistic.
  2. Posting the same basic message multiple times in multiple threads, including starting a new one, is somewhat spammy behaviour in itself
  3. @Csaba already explained that no action was occuring as you were tagging incorrectly, but you then proceeded to use the same incorrect tagging procedure in this new thread
  4. Considering #3, #1 hasn't even occured yet.  And considering it is the weekend, and a holiday weekend in many countries, there hasn't even been 24 hours since Csaba created a tag for you. 
  5. Once a report is taken from you it will be passed to the correct team to process.  They will already have other cases on which they are working, your report will have to wait its turn.

Reporting spam is not that difficult and does work.  Creating your own process and then complaining that you didn't get an instant results from it does not suggest that the current process is broken and needs replacement.

I'm happy to see another person passionate about spam fighting.  If you wish to truly pursue it do realize that cases need to be investigated and that spammers will keep on trying, so it is a pursuit that requires lots of patience.

Since there is a thread already ongoing about reporting spam in which you are already participating, I will merge this new thread into that thread.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

I will seize my _spammy behavior" with THIS, my last post on the subject. just a s Fb consists conservatively of 30% fake accounts, I venture to say that MAPS suffers from at least as many SPAM "High Level Local Guides" due to it's "already in place" streamlined reporting mechanism and otherwise self-satisfactory effectiveness.

As to the MAPS  local guide "ratings" i would say 95% are useless and any consumer's waster of attention.

Thank you for ignoring my personal opinions, a lovely day to ya'll.

I will henceforth look the other way when I say trash and wait for the wind to sanitize el  mundo mejor que no es posible.

adios!

"spammy me"

JMS
Level 5

I would like to report someone who is continually posting the same response to questions all over the world. No matter the question, his answer is always to call the establishment.

Hi @thedave87,

Thanks for reaching out. I will send you a private message with instructions how to report this Local Guide. Please note that we won't be able to share the results of our investigation.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

Hi @TraciC I have a similar situation. I need to report a local guide who has reviewed 34 fake businesses in my area. The businesses are all for the same type of service and all share the same phone number.

What steps should I follow to report this local guide?

Hello @Rusticusd, thank you for reaching out to us! Please see: How Do I Report?

I sent you a private message, please check your inbox. 

Level 1

Hi, I'm looking for some help regarding a Local Guide who seems to be spamming reviews with no comments, including one for my business.
I would appreciate some help looking into this matter.

Hi @ThirdRabbit,

Do you mean that they are leaving ratings without a review? This is generally not a violation of our rules. Could you please go through our Local Guides program rules and Local Guides community policy? If this Local Guide's contributions don't adhere to the above mentioned guidelines, feel free to let us know, so that we can review his behaviour.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 1

Yes.
However there was a number of reviews made within about a hour (minutes apart), all without comments, on around 50 other places - not just my own. 

Level 10

Hi @Rodrigo_P 

What can I *really* do with a spammers, registered on GMB? How do I really report fraud or Spam on Google Maps? All your wonderful suggestions are totally useless.

Herewith a few examples:

1. Nonexistent objects.

The big chain of fake nonexistent optics. In fact, the owner doesn't have a single real object, this is just an online service. The name itself are spam too: "NetOptika - buy contact lenses in Moscow". I managed to delete 5-10 objects of the chain. All other attempts are always denied.

2. Spam names:

These are only 3 examples from the legion.

I made the list in which I added the most stubborn offenders. Every day for several months I begin by correcting these object's names. But within an hour or two owners revert the name to spam. 

How many hundreds of times does the owner have to break the rules so that my report is finally noticed by Spam Team?

Level 5

There is a Local Guide in my area who has a non-human name and non-human photo and posts spam to local business pages. I can only find how to report individual posts, but not how to report a whole account. How do I do this?

Level 10

Did you search before writing this post, sir? I think there is at least some topics talked about this issue.

LG Summit Attendee in 2016 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Regional Lead before 2017

Hi @jojo522, I sent you a private message, so please check your inbox. Thank you!

Level 5

Yes I did, but I could only find personal invitations to message a specific moderator, and did not want to spam them. It was not clear which moderator to message, or how to find the right moderator to message.

P.S. I am not a "sir." 

@ThanhLan wrote:

Did you search before writing this post, sir? I think there is at least some topics talked about this issue.

Hello Miss @Maltee 🙂 Thank you for reaching out to us. I moved your post to the Report a Spammer thread as it is more appropriate for this issue.

I sent you a private message with more details about sharing such information with the team. Please check your inbox. 

Level 4

Hello @GeorgesHR, I found a local guide that has been posting random facts as their reviews and answers to questions. They also post pictures that are not related to the business, primarily flowers and a cat. I was not sure how to report them other than flagging each item, but there are too many to count at this point.

Level 10

congratulations, there are 1000s of nefarious "local guides" but the celebrated _system to report them is a bit to labor intensive for me, sad to see maps is such a messy state.

JMS
Level 4

Hi,

There is a fake reviewer I would like to report.

98 reviews at the same time with the majority of places given a score of one!

Can someone please contact me so I can give them the details?

Thanks!

Level 8

@C9H13NO3 wrote:

congratulations, there are 1000s of nefarious "local guides" but the celebrated _system to report them is a bit to labor intensive for me, sad to see maps is such a messy state.

Unless we report the problem is not going to get better.

So it is better to report even bit by bit which you feel are messy things.

Cheers

Level 7

Hello Google Moderators,

I would like to report some reviews shared on a Google Maps listing of a particular business, the purpose of which is to deliberately harm this business. Please keep in mind that each of them has been flagged numerous times so far.

Would you be able to assist? @Atsukot, @MarinSt , @GeorgesHR, @NadyaPN

Thank you for your time!

Best Regards,

Valentina

Hi @ValGetova,

Thanks for reaching out!

I will reach out to you in a private message with more information.  I have moved your topic here - Report a Spammer.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 6

Need a mod to assist in reporting a local guide.  That person has multiple reviews with inappropriate language that personally attacks people and calling people foreigners. 

Not sure if there is a way to generically tag mods, so picking you @ArielleM_.

Level 6

Can any other mod help?  Tried to be nice and only tag 1 at random but not hearing back.

@Atsukot, @BruceDM, @MarinSt@GeorgesHR@KlaudiyaG, @NadyaPN@brittym

Hi @iambenlaw - I am going to reach out to you now with further instructions.

I am not available to respond on the weekend

Hey @iambenlaw,

My apologies for the delay. You can report a Local Guide, or content on Maps via the instructions posted here

Thanks for tagging us moderators, that was the right move.

Level 6

No worries and Thank you for the link.  I'll check it out

Level 6

Wait... @ArielleM_ you just linked me back to the article that states:
      Create a post about the issue and tag a Google Moderator.

Talk about a circular reference.  Didn't mind you didn't reply timely, but wasting time I do mind. 

@BruceDMI wish I saw your answer first as that was actually the correct answer I needed.  Please mark your answer as correct and not @ArielleM_answer to avoid confusing others.

Level 6

Actually, figured out I can change accept solution myself.

Hi @Rodrigo_P,

first of all, thanks a lot for the information!

I've recently come across a quite interesting problem regarding non-existent places: I came across this event, that's categorized as an "event site". I've tried to edit this particular event to be a non-existent place, but the attempt failed. So my question would be: How do I treat events that, on Maps, seem to be actual places?

Now the more interesting part, some notes and thoughts on the topic:

I didn't spot an option to edit the event in a way, that would make it appear only when it actually takes place. Neither is there a category that's called "event".

That would be a nice feature though, wouldn't it? Being able to categorize events as events (instead of event sites) and being able to set dates for events (so that they wouldn't show up on Maps, if they don't actually take place right now. E.g. summer festivals in winter, stuff like that...). This would also add a lot to the quality of Maps, since you'd then know when and where an event takes place by searching for it, even though you wouldn't see the spot when it is irrelevant.

I hope this makes sense and I'm looking forward to hear back from you!

Best,

Kartenhouse.

Spoiler
TravShirt_Kar10 wrote:

Hi Rodrigo_P,

first of all, thanks a lot for the information!

I've recently come across a quite interesting problem regarding non-existent places: I came across this event, that's categorized as an "event site". I've tried to edit this particular event to be a non-existent place, but the attempt failed. So my question would be: How do I treat events that, on Maps, seem to be actual places?

Now the more interesting part, some notes and thoughts on the topic:

I didn't spot an option to edit the event in a way, that would make it appear only when it actually takes place. Neither is there a category that's called "event".

That would be a nice feature though, wouldn't it? Being able to categorize events as events (instead of event sites) and being able to set dates for events (so that they wouldn't show up on Maps, if they don't actually take place right now. E.g. summer festivals in winter, stuff like that...). This would also add a lot to the quality of Maps, since you'd then know when and where an event takes place by searching for it, even though you wouldn't see the spot when it is irrelevant.

I hope this makes sense and I'm looking forward to hear back from you!

Best,

Kartenhouse.

Sorry, I didn't realize that Rodrigo isn't actually a part of the mod team on Connect. So, I guess I should be tagging @Atsukot instead?

Level 5

I too am getting handfuls of fake reviews at my business. 

Where is this "flag as inappropriate" feature you speak of?

It should be trivial for google to spot when a "local guide" is posting several dozen reviews per day, 

instead of relying on us victims of this poorly designed service. 

You can tell by my tone I'm not thrilled with the google local guide service. Such an obvious target for fakery when people can earn for posting unverified noise on dozens of businesses. 

Hey @gordwait,

Thank you for your feedback. Below you'll find a screenshot showing how you can flag reviews that don't adhere to our Local Guides program rules and Local Guides community policy.

12345.png

Hope this helps!

Level 5

Ok, I found that option. None of the categories aligns with the goal of reporting fake reviews.

Which category will indicate the reviewer is posting reviews of businesses they haven’t been to?

Level 8

Dear Moderators,

20mins ago, I made a post in "General Discussion" to report on a spammer on Google Maps.

To my surprise, my post was instead tagged as spam and removed from the "General Discussion" forums.

Is this normal?

Hello @StanleyPh, did you include any personal information (username, POI name, etc) in the post? 

Do you want to report a spam? Please read this post: How to identify and report fraud on Google Maps. Thank you!

Level 8

The images have been removed, but the google map links remain so that Google Maps team can track the spam. 

But my post itself is not a spam, it is very important information for the Google Maps team. It would be ironic if I get booked for being a spammer for reporting a spammer.

写真があるけど、Ermestのアドバイスを聞いて、もう全部写真を削除しました。

大切なのは、私のポストはスパムじゃない、Google Maps チームに大切な情報です。

できれば、すぐに調査する方がいい思います。