DrHARSHA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

what is the use of earning Points and getting Photo Views?

what is the use of earning Points and getting Photo Views?

Dear Friends,

Good morning

May I know which benefits we get,

If we earn Total points 10,000 and 1,000,000 Photo Views

Please explain

Have a good Day

Thanks a lot

HARSHA

harsha the creator
15 comments
Level 8

Re: what is the use of earning Points and getting Photo Views?

Hi @DrHARSHA,

At Level 5, I am sure you know what is the meaning of LG points from 1 to 500 than most of people.

Many of us are also searching for meanings for points above 501.  You can easily find different kinds of discussion in the L5 dedicated board.

For me, points from 501 upwards, is one indicator of how much of my efforts towards Maps is recognized by Google.

Photos View counts are similar.  It is an indications of how popular of your photos are.

Other than that, there seems no direct "usage" of those points and view counts.

Please let us know if you find any.

Level 8

RE: --Photo impact upon the world.

I have to admit, beyond the little perks Google gives its Local Guides, one of the things that I appreciate most are the update emails showing how many times my photos have been viewed. It's incredible to imagine how much impact a set of photos you took from your phone can have on the world and people's everyday decisions.  

I don't know if that's any consolation beyond the 500 point level, but it means something to me I suppose.  

🙂

Former Google Contributor

Totally agree with what @Justin-A @YK1001 have shared. You can check out the benefits as you level up as a Local Guide by contributing to Google in 5 different ways

The photo views showed how many times your photo have been viewed.  While the photo views do not add to the point system, they have been useful to users around the world when they are searching for more information about places. I don't know about you but when I see that my photos have helped hundreds of thousands of people around the world, I can't help but feel motivated to help people even more! 

Level 10

Talking from experience, having lots of points neither gives you access to additional benefits nor an extra edge over other L5s (other than people giving me that kind of look when I tell them that I've a five figure points ;)) Like @YK1001 mentioned, it feels  really good to see your points climb up - it kind of serves as a motivation to contribute more. And don't fret too much about the points - just keep up the good work.

During the Geo Walk conducted in Bangalore and Hyderabad, we were asked to compare our photo views with fellow Local Guides as an ice-breaker. The top five were given a diary and a lapel pin as a token of appreciation for their efforts.

This is what the top five received (image courtesy - Arun)pbs.twimg.com Crcq77XUIAA5JYq.jpg

Does photo views matter? I would say YES *evil grin*

Level 10

@AmithES wow I want that pin!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: RE: --Photo impact upon the world.

@JustinA wrote:

I have to admit, beyond the little perks Google gives its Local Guides, one of the things that I appreciate most are the update emails showing how many times my photos have been viewed. It's incredible to imagine how much impact a set of photos you took from your phone can have on the world and people's everyday decisions.  

I don't know if that's any consolation beyond the 500 point level, but it means something to me I suppose.  

🙂

What you say about the pictures is true. I've kept all the emails and even made a spreadsheet (using Google Sheets of course) so I can see a graph of how many views they get and how it progresses over time. For me it's fun, a hobby, and that is my reward.

Level 5

Do we know for sure what the view counts mean? When exactly is a view counted?

Level 8

Hi @HikingMike,

If we compare to Google AdWords, which there is distinction between an impression and a click.

My guess is a photo view equals an impression.

Level 5

Ok thanks. I'd have the same guess.