MichaelPeculiar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

what is the difference between Google Map developers and Google Local Guides

Please can someone help explain the difference between Google Map developers and Google Local Guides?

Ado Ekiti, Nigeria
6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: what is the difference between Google Map developers and Google Local Guides

@MichaelPeculiar - as @VijayDesai has said above.

Google Map developers are employees or contractors of Google who works on developing, improving and managing the Google Maps platform and infrastructure. 

Local Guides are anyone who help to share personal experiences and updated data/information into Google Maps in our own personal free time voluntarily. Local Guides don't touch the platform or infrastructure, we only assist to add/update/maintain some of the data in Maps.

View solution in original post

Level 10

Re: what is the difference between Google Map developers and Google Local Guides

Hi @MichaelPeculiar

In my opinion, Google Map Developers are employees of Google with unlimited access to map for development, edits, redesigning etc. While Local Guides are like me and you volunteers, doing updation of map with very limited access, to help people and with some limited perks.

Level 10
Solution

@MichaelPeculiar - as @VijayDesai has said above.

Google Map developers are employees or contractors of Google who works on developing, improving and managing the Google Maps platform and infrastructure. 

Local Guides are anyone who help to share personal experiences and updated data/information into Google Maps in our own personal free time voluntarily. Local Guides don't touch the platform or infrastructure, we only assist to add/update/maintain some of the data in Maps.

Level 10

Dear @StephenAbraham

Just now I have received message regarding Solution awarded to you for this thread.

With due respect, I want to know that, what is the difference between my reply(first I replied) and your reply, except you have written some technical and glorified words.

It is not the words but meaning of reply with simple words, which common person understand.

Is it not important to consider, whether person understand with simple words or not ?

I have put my point of view here, you are the authority to decide.

Thanks.

Vijay Desai.

Google Moderator

Hey @VijayDesai,

In fact, it was me who accepted @StephenAbraham's reply as a solution. 

I agree that you explained the difference between a Google Map developer and a Google Local Guide in simple words, and I thank you for that.

But since we can't accept more than one answer as a solution, I decided to accept @StephenAbraham's response. He provides some additional details, and he also mentions you as the first person to respond.

Hope that helps. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Hi @DeniGu

Please look it from LG point of view, you may be aware that all LGs are struggling to increase  "Solution"(most difficult among all) count in his/her profile, as there are less opportunities and more compitition and inspite of his best efforts, he losses it,  just because he uses simple language. This is demotivating factor to LG.  And in my personal opinion, preference must be given to first replying person and grooming LG.

With due respect, your agreement, kudos and thanks won't help me to motivate, at least for time being.

Being authority, your decision is final.

Dear @StephenAbraham

Please note, this is nothing personal with you. You are one of the best icon for many LGs like me, feel free to give your comments. Thanks.

Regards.

Vijay Desai.

Level 10

@VijayDesai don't worry, no tension here. 🙂

To tell you the truth, I really don't check or track how many points, badges, kudos, solutions I have or earn. Neither do I personally mark any of my replies as solutions no matter how complete I feel it could be. It's up to the author or other moderators to mark as they feel fit. 

I am here just to help where I can, by adding information where useful. 

@DeniGu Thanks for replying.