Andras_H's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

what is the best 360 camera for street view?

I would like to get real experience (street view 360 usage) not the specification of the camera:) e.g. for gear 360

-so how fast is it,

-how stabale,

-what about the connectivity (to S7 edge)

-any issues? (connection loss, freeze, crash etc)

-real battery capacity

-overall experience

-any other important fact

11 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: what is the best 360 camera for street view?

Hi @Andras_H

• so how fast is it,
    Once you set it up, it takes a few seconds to shoot the image.
  • how stable,
    I use it with an S7 Edge myself. I cannot complain: it has never crashed (although froze a few times)
  • what about the connectivity (to S7 edge)
    As far as I remember, since September, it only lost connection to the phone three times. Had to close the app and restart it and it "fixed" the issue. Do not go away like 10's of metres. 🙂
  • any issues? (connection loss, freeze, crash etc)
    like above
  • real battery capacity 
    360 videos can suck the battery dry in an hour or so. You can have spare batteries and simple 360 photos do not do much harm - I can use the gear for days when only taking photos.
  • overall experience 
    I like it. It could have bigger resolution and better HDR functions (be careful, do not buy the "new" gear 360 2017 aas it has lower resolution.
  • any other important fact
    It can be easily mounted on tripods or monopods. For a tripod, I also add a selfie bot so that the gear is a bit further from the tripod head and it looks much smaller in the nadir.

View solution in original post

Level 5

@Andras_H 360

@AndrasH wrote:

I would like to get real experience (street view 360 usage) not the specification of the camera:) e.g. for gear 360

-so how fast is it,

-how stabale,

-what about the connectivity (to S7 edge)

-any issues? (connection loss, freeze, crash etc)

-real battery capacity

-overall experience

-any other important fact

Level 10
Solution

Hi @Andras_H

• so how fast is it,
    Once you set it up, it takes a few seconds to shoot the image.
  • how stable,
    I use it with an S7 Edge myself. I cannot complain: it has never crashed (although froze a few times)
  • what about the connectivity (to S7 edge)
    As far as I remember, since September, it only lost connection to the phone three times. Had to close the app and restart it and it "fixed" the issue. Do not go away like 10's of metres. 🙂
  • any issues? (connection loss, freeze, crash etc)
    like above
  • real battery capacity 
    360 videos can suck the battery dry in an hour or so. You can have spare batteries and simple 360 photos do not do much harm - I can use the gear for days when only taking photos.
  • overall experience 
    I like it. It could have bigger resolution and better HDR functions (be careful, do not buy the "new" gear 360 2017 aas it has lower resolution.
  • any other important fact
    It can be easily mounted on tripods or monopods. For a tripod, I also add a selfie bot so that the gear is a bit further from the tripod head and it looks much smaller in the nadir.
Level 8

Thank you, @Csaba for your comprehensive answer! Sounds really great, especially because you are also using it with an S7 edge 🙂

Level 10

Yes, @Andras_H, all in all I am satisfied with it. When the sun is too bright, you may want to wait until a small cloud covers it - or stand under a tree in the shade - to avoid issues with its low quality HDR. Also when the lighting conditions are not ideal (too much direct light from lamps), it does not take nice pictures. 

I added this new exhibition last week. Lighting is terrible: 

https://goo.gl/maps/ypehVs1Zjkw

While in this church, lighting is much more even and the 360 photos came out fairly well: 

https://goo.gl/maps/3FiHQvSKVRr

I suppose most "budget" 360 cameras have the same or similar issues however. 

Level 8

I'm shooting with S7 edge too, but..

For closer objects it has stitching issues.

You need tripod and Nodal Ninja with modificated 360 head for better, Pro quality

Level 8

Hi @akaS

Thanks for suggestion.

Actually I have a mobile case which can be mounted into a standard tripod.

Sometimes I am using it as well 🙂

Level 8

Hi @Csaba 

Nice share. I like the your light effects concept photosphere. Really wonderful..

Thanks 

Level 8

Hi,

I use a ricoh thetas,

Love it  - small + easy Top handle.

Best wishes Helmut 

Level 7

If budget permitted, I'd like to recommend 360fly 4k camera come with 64GB storage, GPS, Waterproof and more.   Most important of all , very easy to use.