szliuyun2011's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

"There is no royal road to learning..."

"There is no royal road to learning."

As the old saying goes, the road of study is filled with endless hardship. Students in East Asian countries, primary secondary and tertiary, have been taught, emphasized and proving this old proverb exam after exam, years after years, generation after generation.

Moreover, the further you advance on this road, the more loneliness you would feel. Just like the man walking in the dark empty corridor in the photograph below:Camera body: Nikon D750, Lens: Nikkor AF-S 24-120 f/4G ED VR; Aperture: F5; Exposure: 1/100 sec; ISO: 100. No flash, no exposure bias.Camera body: Nikon D750, Lens: Nikkor AF-S 24-120 f/4G ED VR; Aperture: F5; Exposure: 1/100 sec; ISO: 100. No flash, no exposure bias.

P.S.: This photo was taken near Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School, my dream school even after being an office worker for so many years. Peking University and Tsinghua University are the "Top 2" academic institutions in mainland China, just like Harvard and Yale in the United States, or Cambridge and Oxford in the United Kingdom.

A picture is worth a thousand words. (^_^)v

My Instagram: szliuyun2011
中国广东省深圳市南山区丽水路北京大学深圳研究生院
19 comments
Google Moderator

Re: "There is no royal road to learning..."

Hi @szliuyun2011,

Your photo has this mysterious, and a little lonely feel to it, indeed. Thank you for sharing it, and for adding details about the camera.

I agree with you that pursuing a degree requires a lot of dedication, and some sacrifices. But if you're spending time learning something that you enjoy and feel that it's useful, then it's all worth it, in the end. 🙂 At least this is how I felt at the end of my university studies. 

If you were to study at Peking University, what would you choose?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@DeniGu 

Thank you for your timely reply, though my post is more like letting off the blue emotions and has little to do with photography. 🙂

"But if you are spending time learning something that you enjoy and feel that it's useful..."

In China and other East Asian countries with fierce social competition, there is a widely perceived and accepted logic chain: "elite" kindergarten => "elite" primary school => "elite" junior/high school => "elite" university => a high-salary job and noble social standing. In this case, high school students learn their lessons and fight their exams mainly to compete against peers, rarely for "enjoying" or "feeling useful". In fact, usually they have little knowledge or understanding about majors or careers when making relevant decisions and applying universities to attend, nor do their parents or teachers.

Finally, I would definitely choose finance if admitted to Peking University as a postgraduate. It is similar to those who flock to business schools in "Ivy League" universities in the US or G5 in the UK.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @szliuyun2011,

I agree with your words that there is no easy way, no golden and fast way to achieve your dreams and become who you dream to be. All of this takes its needed time, but as @DeniGu shared if one loves what s/he has chosen at the end it is really worth it.

I know to some extent how the situation is in China and Asia as I lived for some years in China. I know that there people put a lot of pressure on education and being in the best universities. This is somehow part of the culture and undoubtedly Peking University and Tsinghua University are top universities to go to study and grow.

On the other hand I believe that the university doesn't make who you are, but what defines you is your heart and passion and most of all humanity.

Me personally while living in China I have studied in two Chinese universities both located in Beijing: Beijing Language and Culture University and Capital University of Economics and Business.

Caption: A photo of me enjoying beginning of summer and last days at my first Chinese university - Beijing Language and Culture University. (Local Guide @TsekoV)Caption: A photo of me enjoying beginning of summer and last days at my first Chinese university - Beijing Language and Culture University. (Local Guide @TsekoV)

It is good when one advance with the light and surround yourself with light. This is my way. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@TsekoV Well, thank you for the personal experience shared, and the comforting words anyway. Actually, both Tsinghua University and Peking University have graduate schools in Shenzhen, and they are located in the same neighbourhood. As the only place attracting my visits times and times again in the city, I would contribute more landscape photos in situ later.

Are you located in Shenzhen @szliuyun2011? It is a place I have always wanted to visit. I have heard it is quite a famous and interesting city and many young people choose it to be. And there is no pollution there. :  )

P.S.: Did you introduce yourself to the community? If not, why not visit our monthly thread Introduce Yourself — December 2018 and share a few sentences about yourself. There you will get to meet many new Local Guides who have recently joined Connect.

Level 8

@TsekoV   

Yeah, I am a local in Shenzhen, the most innovative and progressive city in China. You can find numerous video clips on Youtube, which would help you forming a more visually specific image about the city than my words.

As of the introduction, I joined the community in September. Yet currently I just want to post my works here. They will speak for me, I suppose.

你好 @szliuyun2011

有时间我也想访问深证。对我来说这个城市是在全中国最好之一。

我只是想给您分享Connect平台的意义。它是一个认识其他在地向导、分享您的故事、提供功能请求、组织聚会、互相帮助。分享您的回响等的地方。参与的人都来自世界各地的谷歌地图的所有成员。

这里你可以分享你的爱好、旅游故事。你也可以给大家介绍你国家的一些文化特点或美丽的景点。这里你也可以学到很多东西。我建议你感兴趣的话看看以下的两个文章Tips on using Local Guides ConnectWhat are Connect topics?

如果你遇到任何谷歌地图问题你可以随时提问我们。

Level 8

@TsekoV  谢谢分享,不过城市的名称叫“深圳”而非“深证”哈。我感觉与一河之隔的香港相比,深圳在国际上的知名度还是比较低,以后会多贴一些这儿的照片上来,让你们欣赏下深圳的山海美景与城市风光。

你好 @szliuyun2011

我期待看看你未来的帖子。很想多认识认识深圳的特点。

我好像刚刚打汉字打错了,是深圳。 :)