berndkorz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Maybe a BUG? Cannot remove a place I never visited

Hi,

I have a very annoying thing in Maps. Often I get places that I should rate which Google tells me I visited. I remove them EVERY DAY and tell Google I was never here. Next day they are back 😞 I tend to write a review just to get rid of it. In my rating suggestions I have at least 50-100 places I removed often and they are always back...

Anyone else with same experience or any suggestion to get rid of it?

Feeling like Groundhog day 🙂

61 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Maybe a BUG? Cannot remove a place I never visited

Hi @berndkorz,

Thanks for sharing your question on Connect!

Please follow these steps to change your settings about receiving notifications of reviewing places (Rate& Review places): tap the Menu > Settings > Notifications. You can click on the options to change your preferences of what you would like to receive and what not.

IMG_5449.PNG

IMG_5448.PNG

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

View solution in original post

Level 8

"I haven't been here" not working

Hello,

I apologize if this is the wrong location for this post. I've noticed under 'My Contributions' both in the Google Maps app on my Pixel 2XL and on Google.com/Maps > My Contributions on my desktop that if I mark a location as "I haven't been here" then leave My Contributions and go back in, that place shows up again, asking for a review. I've checked my timeline and confirmed the places do not show up there either so I'm not sure why I keep getting prompted to review these places.

One example is yesterday. I flew from Atlanta back home to Pittsburgh. My plane flew over the Appalachian Mountains so Google Maps wants me to review them (they rock? lol) even though I was 30,000 feet or so above them at the time and my phone was in airplane mode. I marked this as "I haven't been here" and also confirmed that this location doesn't show in my timeline either. When I go back into "My Contribution" it shows up again. Is this a known issue?
P0ffee, Pittsburgher for life
Level 8

Re: "I haven't been here" not working

As an update, choosing 'Dismiss' instead of 'I haven't been here' seems to work to get places to not ask me to review them. Also oddly I'm randomly seeing places from 2+ years ago that I know I've never been to and probably just drove by, which I guess could also be attributed to the phone I had at the time being not so great.

Level 8

Re: "I haven't been here" not working

As an update today, when I went to 'My Contributions' it's showing all of my places, including places I've previously reviewed. When I click on the starts to submit a review, it shows the information that I previously entered for that location's review and allows me to resubmit it.

Level 5

Problems with Dismiss and Have not been there.

I am rapidly losing interest in being a local guide. I enjoy posting when I find a location that is of interest but I am tired of being nagged about places that either I have not been, or chose not to review. I stopped in a local church parking lot to check a text and guides wants to know how it was. I pick "Have not been there" and it goes away. A few days later and it is back. I try "Dismiss", same effect. I have dozens of places like this that I keep being nagged about.

I visit a local fast food chain drive up, I got what I asked for in a timely fashion. I choose not to review it as in my opinion if you don't know what a McDonalds is or what to expect, you won't understand my comments. If there was an issue or if the window server was especially good or bad, I would rate it. I should be able to choose not to and not be nagged for months about it.

I live across the street from a catering service. It does not offer walk in service. I have no first hand knowledge of the service they provide. Yet I am repeatedly requested to rate it. If I do just to make the nagging stop, how valid is that review or the thousands of others from guides like me who just rate a place to get it off the list?

And why is there no Helpdesk or General topic offered? This really does not fit in any of the available topics.

Suggestions?

Former Google Contributor

Re: Problems with Dismiss and Have not been there.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, @KKrofft. Let me know if you find your solutions in Answer questions or the Local Guides Help itself.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Hi @KKrofft repeatedly being prompted has been an issue from time to time, normally when you dismiss them they do go and not come back. Are you running the current version of Maps?

Level 5

@PaulPavlinovich Maps show it was updated 10 hours ago. So I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Connect Moderator

Perhaps its a new "feature" in this update @KKrofft I've not had it pop up with mine (preview or normal).

Please keep us informed.

Regards Paul

Level 5

@IrrPavlova Thank you for the suggestions. Neither link was any help with the issue which is still occurring after the latest update.