Victoria_v's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

"I and palm tree" - are you taking pictures yourself in the background of the sights?

08690-711x600

When I go on a trip I like to bring not only photos of new places, but also my photos against the background of these places. But these photos are of the same type. It seems that just someone is changing the backdrop at the photo studio.

Although I'm watching pictures taken by professional photographers, it's impossible to apply it in practice. All attempts at creativity are so terrible that I do not risk putting it out in public.

Are you taking pictures yourself against the background of the places you visited? How to choose a camera angle to be interesting, but photogenic? To be seen that it's me, not a small point, against the backdrop of the mountain. To see what kind of place, and not just a portrait on an incomprehensible background?
Are there any simple tricks? Or is it not possible for a not professional photographer to combine all this?

6 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: "I and palm tree" - are you taking pictures yurself in the background of the sights?

It is good to put yourself into scenes in some of your shots for later perspective to help you remember the scale of things are. I usually take a selfie or two. I would suggest not putting them onto Maps though. Thanks for sharing @Victoria_v.

Level 8

Re: "I and palm tree" - are you taking pictures yurself in the background of the sights?

@PaulPavlinovich ,thank you for sharing your opinion.

Level 8

Re: "I and palm tree" - are you taking pictures yourself in the background of the sights?

Hi @Victoria_v How are you?  I have not seen you around much lately...🚶‍♀️

To try and provide some feedback:  I personally do not take pictures of myself when covering a POI for Google Maps or otherwise for that matter.  Perhaps I should.  It is an enticing idea 🐣

This is me at the Botanical Garden this summer 2018 taken by a friend...This is me at the Botanical Garden this summer 2018 taken by a friend...

This is the very rare rare time when I have asked someone to take my picture.  Now I think I am going to do it more and more... 

Moving right along... what I have observed is that LGs use a Selfie Unipod.  I have seen some really cool selfies taken with it.  

You also might want to carry a light tripod and use the timer on your Camera.  Of course carrying a tripod can be hindering when traveling but it is an option.  It is also not recommended in crowded tourists areas.  

Another possible option is to use a nearby fence or object to rest your camera and focus from and time your shot.

When I am up and about photographing, I often get asked by people to take their group shot.  They hand me their cameras 📷 or mobile phones 📲 one by one because each wishes to have the group picture on their own device.

Other times, when I see them I may offer to help them and they gladly accept.

You have to be careful and use your instincts as to when it is okay to ask or accept, though, of course.

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards,

~ Virginia Benedict 🕊

AKA VBenedict

Level 8

Re: "I and palm tree" - are you taking pictures yourself in the background of the sights?

@VBenedict, I'm fine thanks.

Excellent photo in your message!
Thank you for the detailed response. I tried to use a Selfie Unipod. Nothing good happens. Most often I ask someone to make my photo. I'll have to try to use the fence. It's also interesting to try the photography function that is in Google's Assistant. But I do not use the phone for pictures so often.

Level 8

@Victoria_v  if I can come up with better ideas I will let you know 🐣

In the meantime, when asking people to take your pic, ask them to shoot 5 shots slightly different angles one after the other so that you end up with some choices.

Most people are still in the mindset of taking one shot.

Level 8

@VBenedict , thank you, I will wait for new ideas. 🙂
Yes, most part of people make one photo. But there are those who even advise how to get up, so that the light would fall better and take a few photos. Usually I do not ask to take more pictures, only if people themselves are guessing to do it.