davidagnino's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

"Can't connect" error in Google Maps

Somehow Maps is useless with local guides today. Get the "Can't connect" message and this means can't use the search bar for anything, can't type addresses and of course can't review or upload photos. If I use an account that is not a local guide none of the errors occur and I can use Maps normally. 

31 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Solution

Re: "Can't connect" error in Google Maps

Thanks for the details @bhalleazy.

I have forwarded the details that you've provided for further investigation.

Since it is the end of the weekend, it may take some time to determine what is going on and a resolution for the issue. In the meantime, if you notice any changes, please let us know. Thanks! 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Level 10

Hi @davidagnino

I use quite a lot Google Maps but I have not faced such problem anytime. I suppose, may be some local issue of your gazette or network. I am tagging your post to Moderator Mr. @ErmesT to check your issue.

Warm Welcome to Local Guide Connect family.

It seems this is your first post.

You can post your reviews, edits, photos, comments and stay focused on forum guidelines. 

Before actual posting, Pl. go through LG Connect Programme Rules, The Five Core Values of Connect, Help etc.(see TABs at the bottom of page).

Never share your or anybody's personal information in L G Connect.

Please note, this global community is for Individuals only and any kind of advertising or self promotion is banned here

Also introduce yourself to LG Connect @Aug.2018, for better understanding to interact with the community.

You may use search engine to check the topics already discussed earlier.

Happy exploring, mapping and writing.

Vijay Desai.

Level 9

Hey @davidagnino:

Can you let us know what kind of device you're using? Android, iOS or computer? 

I recommend that you clear the cache for Google maps and try again. If you're in a mobile device, you should ensure you have the latest version of Google maps installed.

Try that and let us know if you're still having a problem.  🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 5

Thanks. I am using samsung galaxy s9+ and did clear cache from Maps, Android Auto and google before and did not improve. I did it again just now and same problem. Here this screenshot shows the problem. As I said before the map works perfectly fine with another google account (not a local guide) in the same phone.  

Searching for a steakhouse gives no results even though the map already shows a steakhouse in the screen already.Searching for a steakhouse gives no results even though the map already shows a steakhouse in the screen already.

Level 9

Thanks for the screenshot and information @davidagnino. This is indeed interesting. I have multiple accounts like you on my Android device and having had any issues  with Maps or Android Auto. But let's figure out what's going on.

I don't think this will make a difference, but can you also "Clear Data" (or it may be called "Clear Storage" on some devices) as well for these apps GS9+? This is just to make sure that everything was done. It may require you to log in again to these apps.

But a few more questions to try to troubleshoot the issue.

How long have you been experiencing this issue?  

Are you able to replicate this on another device? Or perhaps on a computer? It will help determine if you're having issues with the Local Guides account across all devices. 

Are there any issues when you try to make contributions on Maps with your GS9+ for the Local Guides account?

What version of Maps and Android are you using?

Thanks 🙂

Level 4

I'm having the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S9 plus. It all started after an update I did via Android on my phone I noticed. Somebody help me!

Level 9

Hi @bhalleazy,

Can you clarify is it an update of Android or update of Google maps that you did? 

Please also let me know what version of Google maps is installed as well. @davidagnino, you too please. Thanks. 

Level 4

@Shirley thank you for responding! Friday morning I woke up to an ANDROID update available that I did. After that, I noticed it when I got into my car to go to work. Anytime you search for a business, as I always do to stop for breakfast and check the time frame to that location, it says the business isn't found, or can't connect when you just touch the place on the map. I've put a picture of an example where I touched the McDonald's up the street from my house Screenshot_20180819-121815_Maps.jpg

Please let me know. If I made a guess, I'd say that the ANDROID update possibly did something in my Google Maps settings. 

Level 4

Here is another example.  Screenshot_20180819-123519_Maps.jpg

This happens when I clicked on that address to try to find a route.  

Connect Moderator

My 2 cents: I have had this 'Can't connect' error a couple of times in the past, but only very briefly and restarting the Maps app solved it.

I am using Android on  Moto G5 Plus

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply