NalinK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

merge duplicate locations

I have seen duplicate locations in google maps. ( mostly local business places. which simply created by different users without checking) is there any way  to combine/merge together without loosing the insights or other valuable data ? 

thanks

29 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: merge duplicate locations

Hi @NalinK,

Click "Suggest an edit" on place information then switch "Place is permanently closed or has never existed" to "YES". You will see "Duplicate" to report it.

backy0175 from Kyoto, Japan

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

Hi @NalinK,

Click "Suggest an edit" on place information then switch "Place is permanently closed or has never existed" to "YES". You will see "Duplicate" to report it.

backy0175 from Kyoto, Japan
Level 10

First go to Google Maps

1. Select the property

2. Click on "Suggest an edit"

3. Click yes on "Place is permanently closed or has never existed" option.

4.Select the "Duplicate" option then submit

Level 8

thanks @WaweruM & @backy0175L will give a try 🙂

hope this will not loose insights or other valuable data ?

Level 8

@backy0175L wrote:

Hi @NalinK,

It's goddamn complicated, first of all.

secondly, the correction is almost never done or takes forever.

Google should imitate Foursquare in this matter and develop an instant merge functionality.

Level 10

It might take up to 24hrs for it to go live

Level 6

@PierreJ wrote:

It's goddamn complicated, first of all.

secondly, the correction is almost never done or takes forever.

Google should imitate Foursquare in this matter and develop an instant merge functionality.

I do not find it complicated. It's a couple of clicks.  Additionally, for me, at least, the corrections were made in 24 hours. I even posted a picture of a restaurant and MY picture was shown by the time I'd walked back home. So SOME changes are done quickly.

I disagree with the merge idea. As has been discussed, Google uses more than just Guides input to populate Google Maps. If, for example, the restaurant SHAH's is now a Costas, trying to merge the places could result in other non-guide data feeds sending out of date info to the map. It's a better idea to just remove the old place totally and create a new one. I have 'closed' several places in my local area and ALL were changed with a day or two. It is neither complex not difficult. IMHO.

Level 9

This is an important suggestion , because if we delete or report a problem as duplicate the place will be deleted so the reviews and photos will go , It is always better to have it merged sometimes the place may be known in 2 or more names , Since Mapmaker is closed the option to have Abbreviation , Local name is not here . So merge can some times solve the problem.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 10

Mesmo já tendo obtido a resposta que queria, vou deixar minha opinião aqui e dizer como ajo.

Isso tem acontecido com frequência em muitos lugares que tenho editado.

O que tenho feito é enviar o local como "DUPLICADO" Ao Google e eles tem retirado a duplicidade em quase todos os casos.

Level 8

Dear all,

I would like to share this unofficial Best Practice Guideline on How to Remove Duplicate Listings that you may find interesting.

It mostly echo’s what was said in this thread already, but is slightly more detailed, with additional background information.

Jeroen