ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Exploring the Territory of 1st World War - The Battle of the Solstice

"in a war, nobody wins - we are all losers"

With this thought in my mind, last Sunday we (Antonella - my wife - and me) went to explore the territory of the "battle of the solstice", in the Montello area, very close to where I live.

For the centenary of the 1st World War, many improvements have been done, and you can visit many places that were involved in this terrible moment of Europe's life.

The battle of the solstice starts in June 15, 1918, and ended in June 23, and in some way marked one important point: the beginning of the end of the war.

Many small towns, in the area involved in the conflict, added to their names, after the war, the words "della battaglia" that means "of the battle", a perpetual remembrance of that terrible moment. Feel free to follow the Piave river in the maps, to discover it. In many areas there are monuments and museums, or just part of the territory, that can be visited and explored. We can call it "tourism", but for many of us, living in here, this is just "memory to save".

With this post I don't want to celebrate the war, my aim is to create a "room for the memory", inviting all the LG of Europe to come in here with their own contribution, keeping in mind that :"in a war, nobody wins - we are all losers"

This photo has been taken at the entrance of the "British Cemetery", in Giavera del Montello. The Cemetery will be the subject of my next post

Giavera Del Montello - Monuments of the 1st World War - The British CemeteryGiavera Del Montello - Monuments of the 1st World War - The British Cemetery

Giavera del Montello, TV, Italia
46 comments
Connect Moderator

exploring the territory of 1st World War - The battle of the solstice - British Cemetery

"in a war, nobody wins - we are all losers"

The English cemetery in which are buried the British soldiers who died during the Battle of the solstice, is a place for meditation.

More than 500 British Soldiers, are resting in here. https://goo.gl/maps/dPWMnsEjdAS2

The beauty and the peace of this place are a kind of "noisy silence", a silent scream against the war.

Giavera del Montello - British CemeteryGiavera del Montello - British Cemetery

Here are all the photos. You will also find all the Coat of arms of all the British Military Corps involved in the  battle.

Level 8

Re: exploring the territory of 1st World War - The battle of the solstice

Hi @ErmesT Great post. I am very interested in this topic. I'm following where this terrible event has gone. You are right we must not forget about it. After the end of World War I, my country entered Czechoslovakia. It was October 28, 1918. When I come back from vacation, expect my contribution.

Connect Moderator

Thanks @Myrathor. Many soldiers from your country was also involved in the "battle of the solstice".

I will wait for the contribution when you can.

Have a nice and relaxing week 🙂

Level 8

Yes, A lot of Czech soldiers fought on the Italian Front.

Level 8

Re: exploring the territory of 1st World War - The battle of the solstice - British Cemetery

That was very nice @ErmesT . This is my interest topic too. I am fortunate to live at a place where more than 10 airports of CBI (China Burma India) Theater of WW II times still exist in ruins. I had posted some pix on panoramio earlier. Will try to share it here too. These airports were built on the eastern frontier of India in 1940s to send supplies and armed support to China and Burma. I live at Durgapur (23°33'47.94"N 87°17'37.89"E) West Bengal, India.

Connect Moderator

Re: exploring the territory of 1st World War - The battle of the solstice - British Cemetery

Level 10

Level 8

Thanks @ErmesT for sharing.

There never was a good war, or a bad peace. Benjamin Franklin

Level 8

@sanjeews wrote:

That was very nice @ErmesT . This is my interest topic too. I am fortunate to live at a place where more than 10 airports of CBI (China Burma India) Theater of WW II times still exist in ruins. I had posted some pix on panoramio earlier. Will try to share it here too. These airports were built on the eastern frontier of India in 1940s to send supplies and armed support to China and Burma. I live at Durgapur (23°33'47.94"N 87°17'37.89"E) West Bengal, India.

Hi @sanjeews,

That would be awesome if you can share some photos on Connect as well.

Please also share links to the locations of Google Maps.