Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Your favourite soup noodles?

A lot of different cultures and cuisines have some kind of variation of noodles in soup! I am based in Canada and I have had most of these dishes in North America. Some may question how authentic it is, but many of these shops are owned and managed by owners who are serving traditional recipes. 

As summer is leaving us soon (sadface), and fall will be upon us, a bowl of soup noodles is perfect!

Here are a few of my favourites.

Vietnamese pho (beef noodles): The broth is beef based and it can be served with a ton of different types of beef, including beef balls, raw beef, cooked beef, brisket and tripe (if you're adventurous). You can then add some bean sprouts, basil leaves, jalapeno peppers, hoi sin sauce (sweet sauce), chili sauce and topped with a squeeze of lime as well. This particular bowl is from Pho Galaxy in Chilliwack, BC. I was out in this area for white water rafting and we needed something warm in our tummies afterwards.

Pho with beef balls and raw beef slices.Pho with beef balls and raw beef slices.

Japanese ramen with chicken broth: This broth is made with chicken and usually boiled for quite some time to have the rich chicken flavour. The noodles are thin in this case but can be served with a thicker noodle as well, depending on the style of ramen. This particular one adds some pork slices and just look at that perfectly done egg as well. The chicken broth makes it less heavy compared to a pork broth. This bowl is from Marutama in Vancouver, Canada.

Chicken broth ramen with a seasoned egg.Chicken broth ramen with a seasoned egg.

Japanese ramen with a pork soup base: For this particular version, the soup is a tonkotsu soup base, which using pork bones boiled over a long time to create a rich creamy flavour. This is why the soup is no longer clear but instead a creamy colour instead.  The toppings for this particular style is served on the side at this particular restaurant. My understanding is that this is the Hokkaido style. There are pork slices (which almost melts in your mouth) with some black fungus. This is from Hokkaido Ramen Santouka in Vancouver, Canada. My understanding is that there are many shops around the world!

Shio (salt) flavour tonkotsu ramenShio (salt) flavour tonkotsu ramen

Japanese Udon: This type of noodles is a bit thicker and round and usually served with a really simple broth along with some meat and perhaps an egg. The broth can be hot or cold, perhaps it depends on what the temperature is like there! This particular one is from Marukame Udon in Waikiki, USA. I loved the egg here too. The restaurant is kind of like a cafeteria, where you walk in and order what you want and add in anything else, such as tempera or musubi as well. But here's the bowl of udon.

Udon with some beef and egg.Udon with some beef and egg.

Taiwanese beef noodles: This is another great eat, especially on a cold rainy day. The soup is beef based but usually made with a number of spices and herbs to give it an intense flavour. The beef is also braised and very soft and full of flavour. This one is from Lao Shan Dong Homemade Noodle House.

Taiwanese beef noodlesTaiwanese beef noodles

Indonesian Soto Ayam: Chicken noodle soup. This particular one, I actually enjoyed in Surabaya, Indonesia during my visit last year. @BudionoS and @FahmiAdimara took my friend and I there just before we arrived at the airport. There is a mix of rice and noodles in this one and we added crushed prawn crackers to the noodles. I had been travelling for some days and was a bit sick and this was the perfect comfort food before a flight.

Soto ayam - chicken noodles and rich soupSoto ayam - chicken noodles and rich soup

So what about your cuisine or culture? Is there a traditional dish with noodles and soup? What is your favourite? ?

As for me, I don't have a favourite. I enjoy all of these! Just depends on my mood and the weather perhaps! But even on a hot day, I'd enjoy a bowl of noodles with soup!

I apologize if I made you hungry in the process!!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
23 comments
Level 4

Re: Your favourite soup noodles?

I like Ramen, because taste like Pho in VietNam 

Connect Moderator

hi @Shirley, I love to see your post about noodles. I love to eat noodles and meatball, here we call it "Mi Ayam Bakso". Unfortunately I do not have a picture. perhaps, you may try Bakmi once you visited Yogyakarta's restaurant. 

Indonesia Local Guides
Google Moderator

Hello @Shirley,

Thank you for sharing and I think noodle soup is one of the best comfort food and there is a lot of varieties of it. One of my favorites is the Japanese ramen.

Caption: A Photo of  a bowl of Ramen with some side dishes.Caption: A Photo of a bowl of Ramen with some side dishes.This is one of my favorite ramen that I tried at Ichiran Ramen, located in Shinjuku. I went back at least twice to this place because I can't get over how tasty it is. 

In this bowl of the delightful dish, contains pork meat, green onions and a little bit of chili. It looks simple, but you can always order some side dishes to create your own perfect bowl of ramen. 

The one thing that makes this dish special is the broth. From what it took them at least 24 hours to prepare the broth, that's why it tastes very thick and rich. 

So when in Japan, this is one of the must try!  

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

@Shirley I love noodles. I tried different type but I always love spicy noodles. I'm sharing some photos here 🙂

I was thinking how to check my noodles photos in my google album and when I type toodles in the search, it listed all the noodles photos awesome tool 🙂

In Sri LankaIn Sri LankaIn MaldivesIn MaldivesIn Sri LankaIn Sri LankaIn Sri LankaIn Sri Lanka

Level 9

Wow nice dishes @Shirley, whenever I come to Canada I would love to taste all this cuisines, it looks appealing to the eyes.

Former Google Contributor

Many that I have tried - and lots that I haven't! This will be my first fall season living in a cooler climate and I know I'm looking forward to enjoying all kinds of soups. It's the fall fashion that I can't figure out 😉Thanks for sharing, @Shirley!

Level 9

@trieu2212: Yes, ramen and pho both have soups that are made for a long time!!

@NunungAfuah: you know I'm definitely looking forward to more food in Indonesia!!!

@AngieYC: Ooooo Ichiran Ramen has many shops around the world and I recognize it!! I tried it when I was in Hong Kong!! You also had to sit in your own spot with dividers between your neighbours! I also see that you're going to be in Singapore in October, I will be too! Maybe we should see if we overlap and we can go find some laksa?? 😄

@IlankovanT: Totally love that feature of Google photos as well! Hahaha. The noodles with the egg looks awesome!! Makes me feel like it would be appropriate for breakfast as well! Thanks for sharing the photos!

@Austinelewex: I think you'll enjoy the food options in Canada, especially in Vancouver since it is very diverse in cultures.

@brittym: When it gets a bit chillier for you, I got some ramen suggestions for NYC 😄 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Former Google Contributor

@Shirley Yes, please (to the cooler weather and the recs!). It was 90ºF today! Yowza! 😅☀️

Google Moderator

Hello @Shirley,

Yes, they do have a lot of their restaurants all over Japan. I don't know how it is in Hongkong, but in Japan, you get into the restaurant and you order it from a vending machine, which is pretty fun! 

Caption: A Photo of me ordering from the vending machine.Caption: A Photo of me ordering from the vending machine.I will be in Singapore in the second week of October. Of course, it will be great to have some laksa together and can't wait to try some of @JulienH recommendations. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!