PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

You have the power to change the world as a Local Guide with your food purchases

Every time we get street food, fast food, take out, to go, take away or whatever you call it locally your decisions have the power to save or kill our planet.

Some wonderful initiatives like Clean Up The World by @ErmesT and Greening our World by @IlankovanT are making big changes for our planet. You and I can help there, but we can also make little changes every day that add up to big changes.

When you're choosing a place to eat, avoid those that use non recyclable/reusable products like plastic and styrofoam. The better informed places will have switched to recycled cardboard and paper or sustainably farmed bamboo biodegradable products. When you get your food and make your photos then your review mention in the review that they use #biodegradeable #recycleable or #recycled products so other people can search using these tags to find places that conform to what society expects.

Generally in Australia I'm pleased that for the most part our food vendors use recycled, recyclable or biodegradable products. Some places don't have the message though. This is where your power comes in mention when they do in your review and when they don't so other people can make informed choices. I was very sad to be handed by meal in a styrofoam box from a chicken shop. I told them in the store that they needed to rethink their business and I told everyone else in my review.

Chicken and Chips in StyrofoamChicken and Chips in Styrofoam

I'm always on the lookout for vendors using good materials like those found in the pictures below:

Sliders served on a biodegradable bamboo traySliders served on a biodegradable bamboo tray

In-n-Out all paper packagingIn-n-Out all paper packaging

Food served on washable reusable plastic trays (not all plastic is evil)Food served on washable reusable plastic trays (not all plastic is evil)

Donuts served in recycled paper tray that is itself recyclableDonuts served in recycled paper tray that is itself recyclable

In conclusion - your choices matter. Change the world a little bit at a time. Many of us live in countries where it is the norm to toss your litter on the ground (thankfully Australia isn't one of them) and in these countries it is even more important to use biodegradable materials. Change the world by changing your product choices and vendors and being responsible with your litter. Don't throw it on the ground. Put it in a waste bin.

32 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: You have the power to change the world as a Local Guide with your food purchases

Hey @PaulPavlinovich,

Wow, I just love this initiative! Thank you for sharing this with us and the photos! I always try and buy as many biodegradable options myself, but as we know, not all businesses are always aware of this. 

I think it is an awesome idea to add this to reviews, let's hope this would urge others to do so, as well. 😊

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Re: You have the power to change the world as a Local Guide with your food purchases

Hi @PaulPavlinovich

Thank you for raising this that actually is a Worldwide problem. 

It's true that we all have to be aware of the risk that we are facing, but also National government should start planning some measures to reduce it. Recently, for example, I discovered that in Turkey they started a project in order to pay tickets in the metro by using plastic bottles. This on a long-term will teach people to reduce waste and create a positive circle that can be imitated also by other countries. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

You are a mind reader @PaulPavlinovich 🙂

As you may remember, my question to Jen Fitzpatrick at CL18 was about environmental attention in Google Maps.

It is too early now to go in deep with this (I am in a self-brainstorm right now) but I am looking for a way to rate the businesses based on the environmental attention, using our experience for highlighting this on Google Maps.

I am fortunate enough, living in a village, to have the opportunity to access food from the farms. In Italy we call it "food at 0 km, that means no packaging at all (you have to go with your own bags), no fuel for transportation to the distribution companies, better price, due to the short distribution chain. The Italian law is now promoting the reduction of packaging, but there is a long way to achieve the goals.

Of course, being consumers, with our choices we can influence the market. Being Local Guides, we can use the powerful tool of review

Level 10

Hi @PaulPavlinovich
It's true, in our small we also have this power!
Here in Italy the culture of take-away food is not widespread, perhaps only for the big cities.
However, if you order pizza at home you get it in recyclable cardboard boxes, when I order at the Chinese restaurant I also get recyclable aluminum tubs.

Even the village festivals are equipped with ecological dishes and cutlery!

Fortunately, we have a very active ecological policy and campaign, but then, it is up to the individual citizen to separate the waste and not leave the waste around the city! 

However, I will pay even more attention in reviews to this aspect!

Have a good day,
David

Connect Moderator

@AlexaAC indeed I hope so too - perhaps if enough people do, the tags might even become questions in Maps

@Sorbe that is a really cool idea to pay for transit tickets with plastic bottles - it gives the throw-away a value making it more likely people will pick them up

@ErmesT we have similar options in Australia - I live in a town so I can access similar to you, those in urban areas have farmers markets where while there is transportation there is no middle man

Connect Moderator

That is fantastic that recycling is deeply embedded into your culture @davidhyno - heartening news I wish every culture was as advanced. I suppose we should expect advances from Romans, you've been at this society thing for a while :).

Hi @PaulPavlinovich,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

From my point of view, every effort counts, whether picking up the litter from the ground or seeking change in the environmental policy of your local area.

In my opinion, not only biodegradable but also reusable products should be promoted. Metal straws, utensil that can be folded, bamboo products and so on can make a huge difference.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Connect Moderator

This is an excellent post and a great tip to point out, @PaulPavlinovich - this is another element in which we can make a difference through our contributions. While many may think the packaging may throw off the beauty of the food they're trying to feature in the photo, it actually is a great idea to highlight places that have made the change to better, recyclable materials or biodegradable materials. 

I've been happy to see many places here at home make the switch, especially at farmer markets that I've frequented. I will make a conscious effort to include those details and hashtags in my reviews going forward to inform others. In the cases of places where it is the norm to litter, I hope that one person or a couple of Guides taking the steps to save our planet can cause others to rethink their choices and decisions and create better habits of properly disposing their trash as well. 

BTW, those donuts..😍

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Googler

Hi @PaulPavlinovich. What a great thing to keep in mind! 

Fun fact: Most of Google's dining ware is compostable! Some cups are even made with plant materials. How? I don't know! 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.