brittym's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

You can participate in New York City's New Year's Eve celebration from anywhere in the world!

It's hard to believe it's almost 2019! I've always loved New Year's Eve. It's a magical confluence of past-present-future. We reflect on the past and celebrate the present while teeming with hope for the future. I've celebrated in Florida, West Virginia, and New York. Sometimes, I choose to stay in bed, and other times, I paint the town red. 💃🏼

Caption: Various hand-written wishes on colorful squares of confetti are pinned to a wall in Times Square.Caption: Various hand-written wishes on colorful squares of confetti are pinned to a wall in Times Square.

Just before boarding my latest flight to Tampa, Fla., I hurried through Midtown Manhattan to write my wishes for the New Year on confetti that will fall over the crowd of an estimated 1 million as the clock strikes midnight. The Times Square Alliance has created a special pop-up that lasts through Dec. 28th online and through Dec. 29th in-person. A small wishing well that can be easily missed in the massive crowd is stationed at Times Square Plaza between 46th and 47th streets. There are two workers with a basket full of tissue paper confetti, a few fine-tip sharpies, and a very short line (hard to believe considering over 330,000 people will pass through Times Square this month alone!). They'll let you write as many wishes as you want on the tissue paper before it floats through the cold air atop one of the largest New Years celebrations in the world.

Of course, if you're not planning on hurriedly walking through Midtown before December 29th, there's always the no-fuss online route. You'll have to submit your wish by Dec. 28th online or it will be used to ring in 2020. 

Caption: A handwritten note on a pink confetti square says "Be well Baby Elia," and a handwritten note on a blue confetti square says "Balance, Creativity, Mornings."Caption: A handwritten note on a pink confetti square says "Be well Baby Elia," and a handwritten note on a blue confetti square says "Balance, Creativity, Mornings."

This year, I wished for the health of my boyfriend's niece, a seven-month-old baby girl named Elia who has spent so much of her short life in the hospital. As for me, I wished for balance, creativity, and mornings in 2019. General balance in life is so important, from a balanced diet to a balanced day. Creativity is fundamental to who I am, but living in such a creative city, I'd love to rekindle my long-lost painting and acting hobbies, dance more, and explore the city's art. And finally, in 2019, I'd like to wake up earlier, whether that means a leisurely walk to work in the morning because I have the time to do so, extra time to style my thick hair just right, or even squeezing in a morning yoga class before the day begins. 

Caption: Confetti cut into squares and circles is shown with handwritten wishes for the New Year from inside of the pop-up wishing well in Times Square.Caption: Confetti cut into squares and circles is shown with handwritten wishes for the New Year from inside of the pop-up wishing well in Times Square.

I wish all of you on Connect health, happiness, and whatever your heart desires in 2019! I'm looking forward to our daily exchange of stories and photos from all corners of the world in the New Year. 

Caption: I'm standing in the middle of Times Square as people hurry past. Behind me is the New Years ball that drops below the numbers 2018, soon to be replaced by the 2019 display.Caption: I'm standing in the middle of Times Square as people hurry past. Behind me is the New Years ball that drops below the numbers 2018, soon to be replaced by the 2019 display.

5 comments
Level 9

Re: You can participate in New York City's New Year's Eve celebration from anywhere in the world!

Level 9

Re: You can participate in New York City's New Year's Eve celebration from anywhere in the world!

What a wonderful post @brittym

Nice,festive and joyful content.

It is pleasant to know about this tradition on New Year Eve.

It is really good tradition to write wishes and promises for new year.

In my country we have not such tradition to write the wishes on the paper.

We wishes  each other health ,love and happiness over the phones or postcards or e-mail.

It is a tradition for me to meet New Year in a new place or a new country.

I met New Year in Vienna,in Ramsau am Dachstein(Austria),now I am going to meet New Year in Bulgaria.

Dear  @brittym  my best wishes for the New Year -Joy,Health,Love,Happiness,Prosperity,Success!

May the coming year bring you contentment,good luck and be full of moments of warmth,love,kindness.

Chees,

Inga

Level 9

Hello @brittym,

Thank you for this detailed and informative post. I liked all the colourful Christmas wish notes and also liked your innocent smile. Your post helped me to learn more about Christmas.

Level 7

@brittym marvelous post you created !

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like you photo it is cute