Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

You best airplane meal?

I'm not talking about airlines serving you a meal, because come on, which airline serves amazing food in economy class? In addition to that, with the abundance of low-cost or budget airlines, and everyone wanting to travel for cheap, many airlines now do not serve food for free. In fact, even the non-budget airlines in North America will not serve food for free if the flight is five hours or shorter! Five hours is a really long time to go with no food or snacks. And if you're unlucky, your flight may have been delayed and now more than five hours have passed! This is usually the case with me since...I'm always someone how a flight that is delayed! Water, juice, and soda can only do so much. The paid meals or snacks also often do not look very appetizing. I have actually been on some flights where they told other customers the airline has ran out of certain types of food! So...what to do?

1. Purchase food in the airport.

On my most recent adventure, I was in Toronto, waiting for a flight to return home. Shortly after arriving at the airport, I was informed that the entire airport was shut down, no flights were going in an out from the airport at this point. This is also a longer flight, five hours to get back to Vancouver, and now it'll be even longer since we don't know when we're leaving. I had decided to purchase some pad Thai from the airport. 

Pad Thai in a cute container boxPad Thai in a cute container box

It may not look like it was very much, but it was very densely packed! I finished most of this and was very glad that I had gotten some food because my flight was delayed by almost two hours. And the reason? Rain apparently... 

2. Bring/Purchase food before you get to the airport

On this same trip, when I was going to the airport, I actually went to one of my favourite Chinese style BBQ restaurants in Vancouver to order take away. Again, this was a five hour flight from Vancouver to Toronto and no food is served. Air Canada isn't considered a budget airline but only water, juice, and soda is complementary. Here's my food

Chinese style BBQChinese style BBQ

There are three kinds of meat there, from left to right, BBQ duck, soya chicken and BBQ pork (sometimes we call this char siu). It is sitting on some rice that has sweet soya sauce. Usually, if the sweet soya sauce is done right, eating just sauce and rice is amazing too. I think the people sitting in front or behind me got very jealous of the food because it does smell delicious. But I was flying in the afternoon and during dinner time...so I definitely needed some food! And again, my flight was delayed, so the journey was longer than I had planned for, so it was great to have some food with me!

I used to do something similar too when I flew with the budget airlines in Europe, like Easyjet or Ryanair. Though most often, I would buy something like a meal from Sainsburys or Boots within the airport, that way I would also have a drink too, since neither of these airlines served water or any sort of beverages. Most security and airlines will also let you bring on some food as well, even if it was beyond your allowed luggage for carry-on. And for me, when I fly to the US from Canada, I have also purchased the BBQ foods on the flight too but since I cross customs and immigration in Canada, I do declare that I have meat with me and have never had a problem. 

So what about you? What is your best meal on an airplane? Has anyone had the luxury of trying business or first class meals on flights? 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
12 comments
Level 9

Re: You best airplane meal?

very nice post @Shirley

yeah i have try luxury business class meals but no photos 🙂 but i will next time

i share this photo from Turkish airline 🙂 but also no food just fished then remembered to take the photo

Turkish airline launch.jpg

i try to choose the meal when i buy the plane ticket ,

if its economic i prefer not to eat at plane , waiting  to arrive or eat something from airport before traveling 

@MahabubMunna guess the movie 😉

Connect Moderator

Me encantó tu post @Shirley, no tuve oportunidad de viajar en clase ejecutiva y degustar la comida en vuelos de más de 5 horas, en los vuelos de hasta 3 horas la comida de clase ejecutiva no es relevante un par de sándwich y alguna bebida.

Y en vuelos largos prefiero comer muy poco a lo sumo el postre y un té. En general duermo 😴. Mi señora se enoja jejeje porque no charlo, de esa manera no me da hambre. 

Prefiero almorzar o cenar alguna cosa liviana en el aeropuerto.

Pensé que en los vuelos de América del norte no te dejaban subir con comida, buen dato, gracias.

Saludos Farid

👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Level 10

As my taste best meal in Emirats air . Arabic and indian both are so tasty and delicious 

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

I always take some of my own snacks on board because you just don't ever know what the food will be like @Shirley or even if there is any. Sadly these days this means buying after you clear security at airport prices because most of the time you can't take things like that through.

My best meal ever went along with a free upgrade. Last time I flew out of New Zealand back to Australia for work Emirates gave me a freebie into business class. As part of that flight the flight attendant brought a small hotplate to my pod and cooked up chilli prawns. That was a bonus on top of a bonus. Best flight ever. 

Regards Paul

Level 9

@OSAMA: Oh I definitely love food from Turkish airlines. I recall that I had ordered a seafood meal and the person sitting next to me was very jealous when he saw what I was eating! It's a shame they don't fly to the west coast of Canada! Otherwise I'd fly them more often!!

Ohh!! I sleep on flights too @FaridTDF! But I'll be ready to eat too haha. Dessert though! Like from the airline? Or do you have a favourite dessert that you'll bring on??

@MahabubMunna: Emirates also doesn't fly to Western Canada, actually not sure if they fly to Canada at all! But I've had friends who have told me the food is very tasty as well. Hope I get to try one day!!

@PaulPavlinovich: What's your favourite snack to bring on board with you?? And that upgrade on Emirates sound amazing!! I guess I can't be too surprised given the difference in the price!!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 10

Yah Emirates fly in canada but 2-3 city . My aunA live in montril they use Emirates as i know @Shirley. But emiEmira and qataQ airways middle eEas based so maxumax musMus majority country fly . I think next when you fly Indonesia try to take transit dubai and use emiEmira

Mahabub Hasan
Level 9

Hey @OSAMA are you travelling to USA ? The Summit 2018 ?!!!!

Level 9

That's an interesting idea @MahabubMunna, but it would be a really long journey for me to fly east wards to get to Indonesia through Dubai or Doha. For me, connecting in Hong Kong or China is much quicker (and cheaper!). 

Level 9

@Shirley hope both airlines  make flights soon

Turkish Airlines and Emirates 🙂

no bro @RonneBD i am not selected this year  ,  hope next year will go together 😉