ravindus's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Yes it's the best..!!! "Duwili Ella" waterfall hike and Cave camping

Duwili Ella hike and cave camping is every camper's dream hike in Sri Lanka. Hiking through the trails in Knuckles rain forest, crossing the beautiful creeks and streams takes you to a different world that you feel like don’t want to leave.

FB_IMG_1558033947947.jpg

There are two main trails to for Duvili Ella hike. One Start From a Village Called Atanwala(7°30'53.5"N 80°45'30.1"E) and other start from a village called Rabukoluwa. Atanwala is close to famous Natural habitat Pitawala Pathana. Rabukoluwa(7°31'08.0"N 80°47'42.4"E) is close to Pallegema town. Both trails meets each other in the middle of the jungle and becomes one trail.

FB_IMG_1558033833764.jpg

The journey itself is a amazing experience. You have to cross many beautiful creeks and Streams along the way. And there several of other little but beautiful waterfalls you would meet on the sides of the trail. Dumbara Ella is the biggest and most beautiful waterfall among those. It has some unique beauty you can’t find in anywhere else in Sri Lanka. One could keep looking at the flow less curtain of Dumbara Ella forever I guess. If you are going on a two night trip this would be the best stop for your first night.

Dumbara EllaDumbara EllaFB_IMG_1558033790230.jpg

There are a few places and a little cave you could camp near the waterfall. But the best place is on the top of the flat rock surface about 50 m away right in from of the waterfall. It is safe(about 2.5 m high from the water level) and gives you the best view of the waterfall right from the tent.

You could easily  find wood for a camp fire and cooking from around. Water from the fall is totally good for drinking. I bet it is more cleaner than bottled water.

Tent on a rockTent on a rock

Hike gets little tougher after the Dumbara Ella. But it also get more exiting. After few hours you could reach the lower level water fall below Duwili Ella. It’s a place with beautiful view. Then you have to start to go up along the river to reach Duwili Ella base.

Duwili Ella baseDuwili Ella base

From the base you could see your ultimate destination… The Cave behind the water curtain of silky Duwili Ella. The cave is towards the top of the waterfall. Therefore you have to make a climb to reach there. It is bit steep but safe. And it would take only about 5 minutes. Once you reach the cave it’s a unfathomable feeling you get. It’s a very safe place to camp and gives you an amazing view through the waterfall.

Looking at the horizonLooking at the horizonCave manCave man

FB_IMG_1558034104610.jpg

You could get water for drinking and cooking straight from the waterfall. And you could also have a little bath directly from the waterfall if you are brave enough. But should be extremely careful. One miss foot is enough to loose your balance and fall off from the top. Finding wood for a camp fire is bit of a work up there but could manage without climbing down.

Through the sliky curtainsThrough the sliky curtains

FB_IMG_1558033916143.jpg

There are a lot I want to say about how beautiful this place and the journey to reach there. But I can’t find the right words or enough words to explain it. So my recommendation is just to go and see it for your self, feel it for yourself, be a part of nature for few days….  Hope you would find heaven on earth…!!!

Capture credits of photos to my dear camping buddies  Malith, Vikum and Myself

Duwili Ella and Duwili Ella gal guhawa, Sri Lanka
14 comments
Level 8

Re: Yes it's the best..!!! "Duwili Ella" waterfall hike and Cave camping

Hi @ravindus 

Nice pictures of interesting place.

Regards from Slovakia.

Karol

Karol Tomasch
Level 8

Thanks  @KarolT , yes it's a very beautiful and unique environmental system out there.. 🙏

Level 10

@ravindus  What a nice post! I love the way you told your story. You are helping to take the beauty of Sri Lanka to the world. 

Level 8

@AnuradhaP , Many thanks for the compliments. 🙂 

I will create more post from my adventures around the country. Tag any nature lover or anyone who would be interested in hiking and camping. Thanks again for your encouragement. 

Cheers..!!! 

Level 7

Really nice pics and the place also@ravindus, thank you.

Please keep posting more.

Best wishes.

Level 8

@shantanu-kaizen , Thanks for the encouragement. Sure I will post more and tag you... 

Cheers...!!!

Level 9

@ravindus I really missed the opportunity to join you with this trip. Your story is nice and explaining. I want to get the experience one day. 

Kasun Silva                              

Guiding Star 2021   | Underwater mapping | Street View mapping
Level 8

@kasunaaa , Sure we can. Let's go on another adventure once this volatile situation comes to a holt. I have a plan to map the trails. 

Cheers...!!!

Level 3

AMAZING JOURNEY..........really love in with it's greenery....