EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

♿Worldwide Accessibility Walk [WAW] 2018

Hello LGs, we are glad to announce a Worldwide Accessibility meetup in commemoration of the annual International Day of Persons with Disability. This is a United Nations observance which is held 3rd December annually. Local Guides all over the world are encouraged to organize a dedicated meet up from 1st to 8th December 2018, in support of our differently able citizens.

Caption: Nigeria Local Guides with Googlers Traci, Christine and Tiffany in Abuja, Nigeria after an accessibility meetupCaption: Nigeria Local Guides with Googlers Traci, Christine and Tiffany in Abuja, Nigeria after an accessibility meetup

TOGETHER WE CAN

Following idea exchanges at Connect Live 2018, we saw the need for collective efforts to make the world accessible for everyone. In order to make more impact, we felt it would be awesome to have all the 59 countries and all Local Guides communities (in seven continents) organize a special meet up like this one. During this meetup more accessibility information would be added to Maps thus making the world more inclusive.It is also an opportunity to enlighten businesses  and organizations of the need to  adopt accessibility.

Caption: Nigerian Local Guides bump their fists together after a meetup in LagosCaption: Nigerian Local Guides bump their fists together after a meetup in Lagos

HOW TO PARTICIPATE

1. Submit a meetup for the period 1st - 8th December. The format should read :: Accessible + Your City  (E.g.  Accessible San Francisco ). 
  2.  Approval: Let us know when your meet-up is approved,in order to enlist it.
  3. Share the meetup information on Twitter, Facebook, Insta gram and Google+ to attract participants from your community
  4. Awareness: Explain to the participants what is expected at the accessibility meetup. Tell them the need for inclusiveness and invite them to become advocates.

Kindly notify us as soon as your event is approved to enable us add it to the list of communities. We hope to see everyone join us to make the world more inclusive for the able and differently able.

DID YOU KNOW?

• The year 2030 is the target to make the world accessibility compliant? The 2030 Agenda pledges to “leave no one behind”
  • More than one billion people live with some form of disability.
  • 80% of all people with disabilities live in a developing country
  • 160 countries have signed the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilitie

Caotion: Four coloured boxes showing signs of four major disabilitiesCaotion: Four coloured boxes showing signs of four major disabilities

NOT SURE WHAT TO DO

Some people may not know what to look out for, so here is what do. Take your normal photos of buildings, restaurants, foods and nature. Then look out for accessibility sign, wheelchair ramps, elevators escalators, public address systems, Braille on doors/buttons and other features. Include this information as part of your review with photos. QED. See some past meetups here.

Photos will be collated here - Worldwide Accessibility Walk AlbumAfter the Meetup, hosts are encouraged to fill the feedback form for analysis. At the end of December, we would see the cities that are truly accessible. LGs let's WAW the world!

If you do have any questions or comment feel free to post in the reply box below. Be an Accessibility Hero! Let’s leave no one behind.

'Emeka

Hashtag:  #AccessibleLG  #WAW #localguides 

See Map List of Approved Meetups

Africa ✔- Nigeria 

Asia ✔ India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan

Australia✔ - Sydney 

Europe ✔ - Netherlands

North America ✔ - USA 

South America✔ - Argentina , Brazil

Antarctica ⛛

P.S 

ALLIANCE for ACCESSIBILITY

Here is a good news. This meet-up is just the beginning. Our monthly accessibility walk (NAW) , inspired by @TraciC, has metamorphosed from Nigeria into a global project and with the help of the community we now have One Accessibility Project! The project which would commence from January is aimed at getting all communities across the globe to host Accessibility Meetup every month until end of 2019! Local Guides are expected to add wheelchair, auditory and or visual reviews on Google Maps.  Most importantly mark buildings with accessible trails!

More details coming.

Owerri, Nigeria
46 comments
Level 9

Re: Worldwide Accessibility Walk

Mark my name @EmekaUlor, I'm in!!
I'm really happy to host one in December 🙂 Thanks for making this awesome campaign. I will submit my meetup this weekend 🙂

Connect Moderator

Re: ♿Worldwide Accessibility Walk [WAW]

Hello @EmekaUlor 

I m also ready to host Accessibility Meetup and walk in Karachi in December. 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 10

I want to cooperate with @EmekaUlor on this matter.
There is no perfectly healthy person. Especially when we get old. Either way we will face it. I think that I am an activity that is helping myself.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing @EmekaUlor

This is one of the big themes for us. Let's pull together!

Level 8

AMAZING @EmekaHouse, I'll be submitting my meetup very soon and will host a meetup b/w those dates 

Thanks for sharing the information

Google Moderator

Thank you for sharing @EmekaUlor and thank you for being such a good person!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hey @EmekaUlor, great idea and great cause! I have just submitted my meet up for this WAW. Can't wait!

Level 9

@EmekaUlor count San Francisco as in!  Will put it together after the weekend!  😁

?Kimberly on Social ? Google Maps  ? Instagram ? Facebook ? Twitter ?️YouTube ?San Francisco Local Guides

Connect Moderator

WAW!

Guys this is why I cherish this community!

@YasumiKikuchi @KimberlyAnnG  @Ivi_Ge @Jesi @AIMAN_SAEED @HiroyukiTakisawa @IlankovanT @KashifMisidia thank you guys for taking action already...lets WAW our communities and the world

Together, let's guide better

💚

Emeka