cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Winter in Japan

echigo1.jpg

Japanese cuisine is considered as one of the oldest in the globe while at the same time possessing an assorted and rich culinary history. You have to take note that the Japanese recipes tend to vary from one region to another. There is also a generous use of soy products, cereal grains, eggs, seafood, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds in most of the dishes. Due to the ample supply of seafood along with the impact of Buddhism, pork, chicken, lamb and beef are not commonly used on the dishes. What makes Japanese cuisine stand out is that they are extremely nutritious, healthy and capable of providing additional energy. You will enjoy a wide selection of stewed, steamed, deep-fried and grilled dishes to choose from.

HegisobaHegisoba

The popular Japanese dishes include donburi, congee, sashimi, sushi, Okinawa soba and taiyaki. As one of the well-known dishes, donburi is one of the main dishes that are served with delectable toppings, hot steamed rice and thick sauces. The popular toppings are seasoned beef, battered shrimp, breaded pork cutlets and broiled eels. Congee is a customary porridge in Japan that is made out of eggs and rice. It is basically a humble dish that is tasty and can be absorbed easily. This dish is mainly served as breakfast for children. Additionally, it can also be served as an starter and a great dish to start the day.

IMG_3327.JPG

Sashimi is served with a dipping sauce and fresh garnishes. The miniature slices of fresh meat and seafood is utilized when preparing sashimi. The popular varieties include the chicken breast sashimi, puffer fish sashimi, horse meat sashimi, deer meat sashimi and the skipjack tuna sashimi. This dish is best served during lunch.

Hot sobaHot soba

Sushi is considered as one of the signature Japanese dishes that are recognized all over the globe. It is a tasty dish made out of vinegared rice that is steamed and served with different toppings. Popular toppings include soft shell crab meats, barbequed salmon skin, spicy tuna and chopped scallops. Sushi is typically served on wooden plates that are geometric in shape and ideally eaten during brunch or dinner. The Okinawa soba is a spicy noodle dish made out of steamed pork and wheat flour. When it comes to desserts and sweets, the taiyaki is basically a cake made out of azuki beans and shaped into a form of a fish. Aside from the popular Japanese dishes, there are many more dishes that are worth trying. If you want a different flavor, it is best to try out the Japanese dishes.

Chilled Junmai sakeChilled Junmai sake

Cold lime soba ( Sudachi )Cold lime soba ( Sudachi )

Niigata Prefecture, Japan
61 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Winter in Japan

@Anonymous, great post. All your food photos look delicious.  What is your favorite Japanese dish if you could eat just one? Do you have a favorite Japanese restaurant in Japan to recommend? And what would be that restaurant's "must order" item to try?

Cheers,

Karen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KarenVChin

Thank you, and if I had to choose my favorite dish I would most certainly choose soba, or even better Kobe Beef.

Not together of course, but the beef in this part of Japan is sublime, tender, and juicy. 

Connect Moderator

Muy bueno tu post @Anonymous, me encanta, esto nos da una idea de la comida en Japón y su gran historia culinaria, gracias por compartir.

Estoy seguro que este Post le gustará mucho a @LuisRG

saludos Farid.

Level 7

It is a picture that all looks delicious. I will want to eat even Japanese people. Let 's make my today' s lunch soba.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enjoy!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Muchos Gracias!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Anonymous, great post! 

I guess Japanese cuisine is mostly famous with the sushi, but it is great that with this post you are showing us the variety. I'll look for these dishes in Japanese restaurants in my city, but of course it'd be the best to try them in Japan one day.

Thank you for sharing it! 

Cheers, 

Marin

Former Google Contributor

@Anonymous I didn't know congee is a thing in wintery Japan (or actually just in Japan)! And interesting to learn that it is mainly enjoyed by children and only as a breakfast meal. In Singapore where I live, congee can be served as an entire meal at any time of the day, for adults and children the same. 

I am not a food-venturer myself and am actually quite a safe eater. Any idea of what I can eat in Japan if I don't eat sashimi and most red meats (I know I am missing out a lot!)? - this has been my biggest concern when thinking about visiting Japan. 

@KarenVChin I would love to have an endless supply of unatama don for the rest of my life! NOMZ. 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 8

Hello @Anonymous Thank you so much for share this,

Seeing this post I just want to go to Japan. I'm trying to get to Japan as soon as possible and enjoy all of them. 🙂

I'm learning the Japanese language now.

Minna no NihongoMinna no Nihongo