cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Winter Baths in Japan! [ A video expose ]

[ This is my own personal video from my youtube account.under thesoulofjapan. ]

Japan is known for its amazing cuisines, temples, and shrines.   In addition, there is the hot spring, and especially in winter, when  beauty is frozen in the tundra.     In this video you'll hear a musical accompaniment with the video of a bath I took in the cold.  For me, this is how I experience living in Japan and more.

Niigata Prefecture, Japan
10 comments
Google Moderator

Re: Winter Baths in Japan! [ A video expose ]

Hey @Anonymous,

This must have been a great experience. I have never tried a hot bath which is outside and the snow has covered the area.

I did try a Roman bath once which is like a very big jacuzzi with bubbling hot water. It is nice to take it after a long day out in the cold. It was quite relaxing!

Is there a sauna in the place from the video? Have you tried it?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MoniDi  Thank you for your comment.    There was no sauna here , but the water was at around 43 Degrees C, so it was a nice balance between hot and cold.   I bought a beer outside and stuck it in the snow.  Totally unwound.  I think a lot of foreign guests forgo this experience because of time constraints on their travel agenda.  Hopefully many more tourist will seek out the slow life here. 

Google Moderator

Hey @Anonymous,

I know what you mean. Even I try to see and do everything when I visit a new place and forget to relax and enjoy the moment.

With the busy life in the cities people should think of their favorite way to relax and free their minds. A hot bath in the middle of the snow might be one way to do so.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for introducing Winter Onsen with your video! I can imagine how great it will be to relax there.

I have seen this kind of hot baths in one TV series, which has been filmed in Akita. Have you been there also? 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MoniDi  It can get stressful out here in Tokyo, but luckily the transportation networks are efficient and anybody can get away on a nice weekend jaunt somewhere fairly easily and in a short amount of time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RadieN Thank you for your wonderful comments.   To answer your question, yes, I have visited many hot spring spas in Akita Prefecture which are absolutely timeless and beautiful.   I highly recommend visiting one when and if you visit Japan.

Former Google Contributor

Thank you for the advice @Anonymous, I will definitely visit at least one of the hot springs spa when I go to Japan.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 3

@Anonymous Woww! That's superb! I also an outdoor hot spring lover too!

My last onsen visit is in Summer last year at Nyuto onsen, Akita. 

Here is my post

Here is my video.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CilineR Lovely video and thank you for sharing!  Isn't it great getting out in the open and seeing the old countryside?