KarenVChin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Wine Tasting Adventure in California

Iron Horse Vineyards, Sebastopol, CA. Photo Collage Credit: @KarenVChinIron Horse Vineyards, Sebastopol, CA. Photo Collage Credit: @KarenVChin

After Connect Live 2018 was over in San Francisco, what is a Local Guide suppose to do? Well, of course, take a day trip to California Wine Country to drink wine, in particular, drive up to Sonoma County from San Francisco!

Where is Iron Horse Vineyards?  Image Credit: Google MapsWhere is Iron Horse Vineyards? Image Credit: Google Maps@ermest, an Italy Local Guide and one of the Local Guides Connect Moderators, was very curious how California sparkling wines compared to what is grown in his backyard of Treviso --  Prosecco, Italian sparkling wine. As a San Francisco Bay Area Local Guide, I knew of a winery that would fit his wine criteria - Iron Horse Vineyards. We drove up from the Bay Area to Iron Horse for our noon, October 23, 2018 wine tasting reservation.

Entrance to Iron Horse Vineyards. Photo Credit: @ErmestEntrance to Iron Horse Vineyards. Photo Credit: @ErmesT

Established in 1976

Iron Horse Vineyards is located in the city of Sebastopol in Sonoma County. It's in the Green Valley region of the Russian River Valley. Low-key. Laid back. Not overly crowded with visitors. Iron Horse is one of Sonoma County's most beautiful, small, independent, estate, family-owned wineries. They grow all of their own grapes that they use to make their limited-quantity estate-bottled wines.

Iron Horse Vineyards. Photo Credit: @KarenVChinIron Horse Vineyards. Photo Credit: @KarenVChin

Being Google Local Guides, of course, we had to come here and put Iron Horse on Google Maps. 

Photo Collage Credit: @KarenVChin & @ermestPhoto Collage Credit: @KarenVChin & @ErmesTIron Horse consists of 300 acres of gentle-rolling hills with spectacular views of Sonoma County to Mount St. Helena. Known for their prestige sparkling wines and estate-bottled Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, there are approximately 160 acres in vine, planted exclusively to Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. The founders and their family members, three generations, all live on the property.

Different scenic vistas at Iron Horse Vineyards. Photo Collage Credit: @ermestDifferent scenic vistas at Iron Horse Vineyards. Photo Collage Credit: @ErmesT

Iron Horse is charmingly rustic with incredible vistas. Ermes felt very much at home here, like being at one of his local Italian wineries. The weather was very nice for late October. Warm.

Funny, how being Local Guides, we take pictures of anything and everything.

I did not know @ErmesT caught me in the act of taking photos of the gorgeous Fall colors (pumpkins, pumpkins, and more pumpkins) and those breathtaking, picturesque gentle-rolling hills. I was in awe and impressed. I am used to seeing the Napa Valley wineries on very flat HWY 29.Photo Credit: @ermest & @KarenVChinPhoto Credit: @ErmesT & @KarenVChin

Heehee, I captured @ErmesT in action. He was taking his 360 photos with his Ricoh Theta V.

Caption: Local Guide @ermest in serious "Local Guide mode." Photo: @KarenVChinCaption: Local Guide @ErmesT in serious "Local Guide mode." Photo: @KarenVChin

360 Photo-Taking Tip: Noticed how @ErmesT hides behind objects so that he is not seen in his 360s for Google Maps.

Iron Horse Vineyards is a small, working winery. Photo Collage Credit: @KarenVChinIron Horse Vineyards is a small, working winery. Photo Collage Credit: @KarenVChin

Iron Horse charges $30/per wine flight tasting.  You have to call ahead to make a wine tasting reservation. Your tasting fee is waived or becomes free if you decide to purchase wine at the end of your tasting.

Iron Horse produces three kinds of wines from grapes that they grow on their estate: Sparkling Wines, Chardonnay, & Pinot Noir. Photo Credit: @KarenVChinIron Horse produces three kinds of wines from grapes that they grow on their estate: Sparkling Wines, Chardonnay, & Pinot Noir. Photo Credit: @KarenVChin

@ErmesT and I decided to try the Sparkling Wine and Pinot Noir (Red) Wine "Flights" (aka "samples")

Photo Collage Credit: @KarenVChinPhoto Collage Credit: @KarenVChin

What we didn't realize was we were going to be served 6 flights of Iron Horse's Sparkling Wines and 5 flights of their Pinot Noir.

Photo Credit: @KarenVChinPhoto Credit: @KarenVChin

Let me tell you, it was a very pleasant 2+ hours of sipping and chatting with the Iron Horse Wine Tasting staff and the other visitors that October Tuesday afternoon!

One of the benefits of wine tasting, meeting and making new friends while sipping. Photo Collage Credit: @ermest & @KarenVChinOne of the benefits of wine tasting, meeting and making new friends while sipping. Photo Collage Credit: @ErmesT & @KarenVChin

What put Iron Horse "on the map" is their sparkling wines which they follow the French way of growing and making.

Famous for their Sparkling Wines, Iron Horse Vineyards also makes custom, limited-edition wines to help worthy causes. Photo Credit: @KarenVChinFamous for their Sparkling Wines, Iron Horse Vineyards also makes custom, limited-edition wines to help worthy causes. Photo Credit: @KarenVChin

We started with a vintage 2015 Blanc de Blancs, called Ocean Reserve, in partnership with National Geographic. The winery contributes $4 for each bottle sold to establish Marine Protected Areas and reduce overfishing around the globe. There are only 1,000 cases of this particular California sparkling wine.Iron Horse Vineyard's Pinot Noir is a rising star in the California Pinot Noir World. Photo Credit: @KarenVChinIron Horse Vineyard's Pinot Noir is a rising star in the California Pinot Noir World. Photo Credit: @KarenVChin

Iron Horse is in the heart of Sonoma County's Green Valley region of Russian River Valley. The predominant soil-type is called “Goldridge”, a sandy loam that has excellent drainage and is perfectly balanced, making it the most coveted for growing Pinot Noir.  Here, we started first of the 5 Pinots, a 2013 Estate Pinot Noir. Iron Horse produced only 3,300 cases of this particular vintage.

A Successful Wine Tasting AdventureFun afternoon at Iron Horse Vineyards. Photo Credit: @KarenVChinFun afternoon at Iron Horse Vineyards. Photo Credit: @KarenVChin

We learned a lot about Sparkling Wines and Pinot Noirs. @ErmesT learned that even the sweetest sparkling wine served to us, the 2013 Iron Horse Russian Cuvée, was nowhere as sweet as what he is used to in a Prosecco.

Deciding whether Sparkling Wine is as good as Prosecco? Photo Credit: @KarenVChinDeciding whether Sparkling Wine is as good as Prosecco? Photo Credit: @KarenVChin

And sipping the 6 different Iron Horse Estate Sparkling Wines at their Tasting Bar overlooking the incredible views was a unique experience he will never forget. 

Hello Sparkling Wine! Photo Credit: @KarenVChinHello Sparkling Wine! Photo Credit: @KarenVChin

We both liked the first Iron Horse Estate Sparkling Wine, 2015 Ocean Reserve Blanc de Blancs, and the fourth Iron Horse Estate Pinot, 2015 Iron Horse Estate Home Block Pinot Noir, for both their smooth, complex fruity taste. What @ernest brought back to Italy  - 2015 Iron Horse Home Block Pinot Noir. Only 220 cases were made. Photo Credit: KarenVChinWhat @Ernest brought back to Italy - 2015 Iron Horse Home Block Pinot Noir. Only 220 cases were made. Photo Credit: KarenVChin

@ErmesT liked it so much he purchased Home Block to take back for his second annual Italian Wine Meetup on November 24 to try with his Local Guide meetup attendees.

Going Wine Tasting in California Summary

If you are wanting to visit a less commercialize, family-run winery in Northern California wine country, definitely make a wine tasting reservation at Iron Horse. The place is small, intimate, with very friendly, knowledgeable, attentive wine tasting staff.The Tasting Bar at Iron Horse Vineyards. Photo Credit: @KarenVChinThe Tasting Bar at Iron Horse Vineyards. Photo Credit: @KarenVChin

Not all wineries do this.

It is wonderful that Iron Horse makes three types of wines from only the grapes grown on their estate, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and their signature Sparkling Wines because if you are short in time you just need to visit just this one winery to try all three.

Bring friends so you can try all three types and some snacks. Iron Horse does not serve food, only water from a self-serve water dispenser or come after eating a meal.

Drinking all those wine samples does hit you if you have not eaten prior. You don’t want to drink and drive. @ErmesT and I did have to stay a little longer and drink water because we were both tipsy. We didn’t have a “designated driver,” a third friend who did not drink, with us. This was very easy to do with views like this to look at while sobering up.

The view from Iron Horse Vineyard's Wine Tasting Bar. Photo Credit: KarenVChinThe view from Iron Horse Vineyard's Wine Tasting Bar. Photo Credit: KarenVChin

Read more details about our wine tasting adventure at Iron Horse, check out our shared Google Photos 70+ photos & videos album.

Watch Our Wine Tasting Adventure in California Recap Video

Read our Iron Horse Vineyards Local Guides Reviews on Google Maps

Karen's Review: https://goo.gl/maps/ABJjFqBfkhp

Ermes’ Review:  https://goo.gl/maps/j1U7ekWe7uv

Learn more about Iron Horse Vineyards

www.ironhorsevineyards.com

Iron Horse Vineyards, Ross Station Road, Sebastopol, CA, USA
77 comments
Level 10

Re: Wine Tasting Adventure in California

@KarenVChin Wow, thanks for sharing this. I have not been to a vineyard before, so everything looks quite exciting to me. Tasting the wine at source must taste amazing I am sure. One of these days when i get an opportunity, I will go some place like this also. 

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing this wonderful post @KarenVChin

I hope to go wine tasting tour in SF next time! But I have no idea yet, so this is a good tip:-)

Thank you!

Level 9

Nice post about wine yard @KarenVChin cool pictures informatic post thank you for sharing with us...

Level 9

Thank you dear @KarenVChin for your excellent post,perfect video.

It is great!!!

It is interesting to read  your post about wine tasting adventure in California.

We tasted a  bottle of fine wine Iron Horse ,which @ErmesT brought from California. Iron Horse as good as Prosecco --it is my opinion!)

I like your post very much.

Best wishes

Inga

Connect Moderator

Wow, @KarenVChin - a successful wine tasting trip indeed! I've been to Robert Mondalvi's vineyard a couple of times, but Iron Horse seems like a great one as well as told by you and @ErmesT through this experience. I'm in love with the photos and how they drove the narrative. It sounds like a great price for the tasting and I love Ermes' technique when taking 360's haha. 

Wow, this definitely put me in the mood for a glass 😄 But I also love being in that area of California and taking in the wonderful weather that accompanies it. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Connect Moderator

Hahaha, @KarenVChin

hiding behind a barrel was my secret, now revealed to all the community ?

@SP31 It is so difficult to take a 360 with no people in there

Well, to reach quickly the point, yes, I was very curious about Californian Sparkling Wine, compared with Prosecco wine, that was the subject of our second international wine meet-up, this year hosted by @AntonellaGrRECAP-Ebbrezza-Wine-Meet-up-II/. and the answer is: there is no answer.

The two wines are not comparable:

• Iron Horses sparkling wine is a Chardonnay, transformed in sparkling wine using  Champenoise method (and for this reason is also called Californian Champagne) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkling_wine_production. The process for producing Champagne is very complicate, it require a second fermentation in the bottle, and a long time. Wine is aged for years, and in several place all the process of the second fermentation and the preparation for the final stage is made manually. The result is an important, well structured wine
  • Prosecco is sparkling wine, produced with Charmat method. The wine is reaching the market quickly, the taste is sweet. Drinking Prosecco is easy to drink, a perfect wine for a party. What makes Prosecco so special is the limited production area, and the soil.

Next year I would like to visit the cellar of a Californian winery, if possible. The experience that we had at wine meet-up was impressive, from this point of view. A bit less than a mile of galleries, with the bottles aligned on both side

Caption - Bottles of wine aging in a gallery - from Ebbrezza Meet-upCaption - Bottles of wine aging in a gallery - from Ebbrezza Meet-up

The bottles in the middle of the gallery are near the end of the second stage of the Champenois method. I am expecting to see the same in the Californian Wineries ?

The landscape was beautiful, the same kind of landscape that we have on Prosecco hills, so my feeling was immediately to be home (the only difference: Pumpkins everywhere)

Caption - Pumpkins with the vineyard on the background at Iron HorseCaption - Pumpkins with the vineyard on the background at Iron Horse

As you said, we also tasted red wine. Pinot Noir, an important wine, full body, very persistent. During the test I was expecting an higher content in alcohol, because in Italy this kind of Full Body wines are starting from 13% alcohol, up to 14.5%

Do not be surprised by our smiles. Tasting wine is something that need time, between a glass and the next one.

You have time for making friends, and for enjoying the nature

Caption - Making friends while tasting wineCaption - Making friends while tasting wine

Caption: the view from the winery - PanoramaCaption: the view from the winery - Panorama Caption: the view from the winery - BirdsCaption: the view from the winery - Birds

In our case we went for a late lunch with our new friends (maybe it was an early dinner), but this is another story, and I am sure that Karen would like to write a post about that restaurant ?

A smile is the only way to close this kind of post, a post about wine, friendship and glasses

Caption: smiles and reflections, glass on glassesCaption: smiles and reflections, glass on glasses

Connect Moderator

Thanks @StephenAbraham. Glad you enjoyed this.  There is something to be said that things taste better when you go to the source.  This place is truly breathtakingly beautiful.  Quiet. Peaceful.  Tranquil.  You get here through a one-lane country road. As soon as you enter the property, the road becomes gravel dirt. Also many of the wines @ErmesT and I sampled are not sold in stores because Iron Horse's case production can be very tiny.

The problem I have about visiting wineries is that there is so much to try that you are literally limited to visiting one or two, maybe three if you really push it. Plus when you get views like what you saw via our photos and video, it is very hard to get and rush to the next place.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

You're welcome @HiroyukiTakisawa, there are many wineries to visit in California - northern, southern, coastal, central. 

Also in San Francisco,  we have wine bars that you purchase "tasting flights" (samples). So you don't have to necessarily drive to a winery.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Thanks @NirmalTeja for your kind words. Happy that you enjoyed reading and seeing all my photos.  

The shared Google Photos album has even more things to look at!

Cheers,

Karen