YerlanB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Will I loose photos' views if a place closes?

Hi @PaulKang,

That help document is talking about Points - while here is about Photos Views.

Level 10

Oops! Sorry about that.

I can say that I kept the views for my Unknown place photos. They stayed static of course and didn't increase. One would have had to scroll through my contributions and click a photo(s) to increase views.

Paul Kang
Greater Nashville, Tennessee
Level 10
Solution

Re: Will I lose photos' views if a place closes?

In my experience this is what I can deduce. The example for this would be QUIC.

• Views still accumulate just like any other photo, even when the place is closed. Although no one is now searching for the closed listing, actively indexed or is easily visible on Google Maps, the rate of increase dwindles to pretty much zero.
  • If a place is marked Permanently Closed, those views do stay, and are still attached to the listing. They still contribute to your overall total and the listing remains for quite a period of time.
  • However if a place is marked as either Spam or Never Existed, the photo is detached as the listing nominally disappears, and you'll see that the photo is either pointing to an Unknown Place (Desktop Maps) or a certain map marker position, which will be instead View Place (Mobile Maps). I have seen many instances where photos of a 'View Place' are substantially high and for some reason doesn't register to the total views of a map (you can add photos to a map marker position), however I have not tested that enough to make any informed deductions.
Level 10
Level 10

good points by @Briggs

I myself have an "Unknown Location" photo that has a few hundred thousand views! I was surprised. I am not sure how that came about but usually it is only waiting for the place edit to be approved. 

@YK1001 is correct the help article is refering to the main points system. As views are not contributing to levels, it is more vague/flexible. 

I think overall the system doesn't try to load users with too much detail and data as it will get also confusing. But for us pixel-peepers and view-counters, it is quite intriguing to know if our views are being accumulated. Personally I hope I am not losing any views, but I just keep adding new photos. My weekly new-view fluctuation is so big that I can't tell whether it is due to old photos being removed.

@YerlanB hope the discussion is helping you. How is your progress so far?

Follow Instagram & Twitter @jhender. SG updates at #singaporelocalguides. YouTube Fun with Maps
Level 8

Hi @JulienH,

May be it will be easier to monitor the views count of the 360 photos.  We can use StreetView app to have a closer look.

(But behaviour for 360 photos might be different.)

I have a virtual tour that is attached to a Cafe.  For unknown reasons, that Cafe POI keep disappearing.  Then I just checked the SV app, those 360 photos are attached to a larger district now.  And they still count towards my Approved 360 photos.  I will keep an eye on them to see if their view counter are increasing or not.

ps.  I fully understand your difficulties.  You weekly views increment is more than my total views easily.  It is Mission Impossible for you to know if one or two photos counts or not.

Level 10

@YK1001 yeah 360 photos are quite different. I consider them a separate class because Maps app show a separate front view container for the 360. effectively means they are more heavily promoted and get higher visibility. = more views, but also more work to take 360 photos of course. 

Also, not all locations lend themselves suitable to 360, so it's not so common. 

Follow Instagram & Twitter @jhender. SG updates at #singaporelocalguides. YouTube Fun with Maps
Level 10

@JulienH @YK1001 @Briggs It is good to hear that photos's views will remain at Permanently Closed POI.

I try not to post photos to Duplicates, suspicious places and don't create fake POIs. 

So I guess we solved this particular issue. Thanks everybody!

Level 5

@PaulKang wrote:

@JulienH, you lose your points if the listing becomes permanently closed OR deleted from the map.

https://support.google.com/local-guides/answer/6225851?hl=en

"Based on our current points and benefits structure, contributions made to points of interest or businesses that are on Google Maps do not expire. Contributions made to businesses that have permanently closed and have been removed from Google Maps will not count toward your Local Guides level."

You also lose points if the listing becomes merged with another (usually by Google) and your photos become tied to an Unknown place (title in your Contributions).

I hope that helps. 

Često se bodovi gube i u slučaju promjene imena, jer se najčešće postojeće ime Prijavi kao permanently closed.

Level 5

Not if you save to Google photos  drive or cloud