ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Wieliczka salt mine - memories of European Meetup '18 - Kraków

Thank you for your photos, @Ivi_Ge

Visiting a mine is indeed a special experience It is a strange feeling to enter in the deep part of the earth. What do they extract in there? 

Google Moderator

You are right @ErmesT. This is an unique experience.

I think that the Japanese miners dug through the earth originally looking for gold. This mine  is located in the forests of Akita prefecture. The mine is a constant chill, so if you plan to go there make sure to bring your jacket—even on a summer day. After a 30 or 40 minute walking course, you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

And then you enter the gift shop. The store displays and sells gorgeous gems and precious stones that are from the area. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Ivi_Ge 

Fun fact: In the main square of Wieliczka we had a very strange surprise: a reconstruction, made of wheat, of St. Mary's Basilica, the main church of Kraków.

The reconstruction was made by the inhabitants of Campocavallo di Osimo, a small Italian village not so far from the area of the earthquake

Caption: a reconstruction, made of wheat, of St. Mary's Basilica - Local Guide @ermestCaption: a reconstruction, made of wheat, of St. Mary's Basilica - Local Guide @ErmesT

Caption: a detail of the plate of the reconstruction, made of wheat, of St. Mary's Basilica - Local Guide @ermestCaption: a detail of the plate of the reconstruction, made of wheat, of St. Mary's Basilica - Local Guide @ErmesT

Google Moderator

Thank you for sharing this fun fact @ErmesT

The reconstruction of the church looks great and very strange because of the wheat. This is amazing what people can do!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

How not to agree @Ivi_Ge 

For me it was a very special moments, to find a joint between Le Marche (Italy, earthquake area) and Krakow, the city of the meet-up, because I am frequently visiting Central Italy for our activity related to the earthquake

Google Moderator

I am sure that this was a very special moment for you @ErmesT! And I am happy that you have had a chance to find the connection between Le Marche and Krakow. 

Level 8

This salt mine shows much more desire and capability to show the local history than the one in Soledar, Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine. To be honest, ours needs tons of improvements and changes in the infrastructure, services, and exhibition design. The length of the "history" can't be considered a crucial factor for that. The mine in Krakow looks like a decent example of a successful touristic approach. Thanks for a good opportunity to compare, @ErmesT