ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Wieliczka salt mine - memories of European Meetup '18 - Kraków

You cannot say that you have visited Kraków, if you missed to visit Wieliczka salt mine.

The oldest part of the mine was excavated from the 13th century when, according to their website, the first rock of salt was discovered. The salt excavation terminated on 1964, when on level V the Allergy Treatment Health Resort “Kinga” opens. It was the first clinic for Salt Therapy. The Underground Museum of Saltwork opened on 1966, and was continuously improved, up to the actual status. On 1978 the mine is entered on UNESCO’s First World List of Natural and Cultural Heritage.

Caption: a miner illuminates the cave  -  historical representation of the work in the mine - Photo: Local Guide @ermestCaption: a miner illuminates the cave - historical representation of the work in the mine - Photo: Local Guide @ErmesT

My first visit to the mine was several years ago, so I was very happy when @TorM told me that the mine was part of the meet-up activity. The mine is huge, with 287 Km of galleries (well, the tourist route is just 3 km) and 327 meters in deep.

So, when entering in the mine, be ready to go down, down, down for 350 steps, to reach the level of - 135 meters, where the tourist tour starts.

One of the first important chamber that you reach is Janowice Chamber (XVII century), with the sculptures placed in 1967, representing Princess Kinga and the discover of the first rock of salt

Caption: Wieliczka Salt Mine - Janowice Chamber -  Before 1662 - Photo by Local Guide @ermestCaption: Wieliczka Salt Mine - Janowice Chamber - Before 1662 - Photo by Local Guide @ErmesT

The visit last two hours, passing from narrow galleries to huge cavern. All around, statues are showing how the work in a mine was

Caption - Stairs - galleries - cavern, on Wieliczka mine - Photos: Local guide @ermestCaption - Stairs - galleries - cavern, on Wieliczka mine - Photos: Local guide @ErmesT

Slowly, you reach one of the most impressive Churches that I have ever seen. Entirely excavated in the salt inside a huge cavern of salt, The Chapel of St. Kinga is incredible. Sculptures and bas-relief - carved from the salt, crossed by the light.

You will find a representation of the last supper, a nativity, and a huge amount of statue, including the one of pope Jean Paul II, that in the church was used to celebrate the mass

Caption - Sculptures on The Chapel of St. Kinga - Photos: Local guide @ermestCaption - Sculptures on The Chapel of St. Kinga - Photos: Local guide @ErmesT

There is much more to see, and the photoalbum is here for you.

So, this is a small part of what you missed at European Meet Up 2018/ Poland

And of course, you missed the opportunity for meeting  @TorM@JanVanHaver@helga19@NatalkaR@AntonellaGr@LudwigGermany@davide7O@barrazacarlos@ikaramon

This year the European Meet-up is in Ghent (2nd European Meet-up (Ghent, Belgium), hosted by @JanVanHaver

See you there

Caption: Wieliczka village - Local Guides at lunch - Photos: Local Guide @ermestCaption: Wieliczka village - Local Guides at lunch - Photos: Local Guide @ErmesT

Miniera di sale di Wieliczka, Daniłowicza, Wieliczka, Polonia
26 comments
Level 9

Re: Wieliczka salt mine - memories of European Meetup '18 - Kraków

Thank you very much @ErmesT for mention me in your post.

It is a great pleasure to see our photos again and remember this my first expierence  in Meet-Up.

Best wishes,

Inga

Connect Moderator

Google Moderator

Hi @ErmesT,

Great post!

I've never been inside a salt mine (or any mine for that matter), and it was quite interesting to see the tunnels and scenes representing salt mining. The sculptures and bas-reliefs are amazing!

Thank you for sharing this curious part of the First European meet-up. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

The place is amazing @DeniGu

I visited Salzburg mine too. It is a funny place, but in Wieliczka you really feel the spirit of the mine. Dark and deep, with a lot of history and culture. The sculptures, with the light passing through, are impressive. I really suggest a visit

Level 10

Hi @ErmesT!

Great post and I really love the salt mines! 

You reminded me when I visited this salt mine in Hallein (Austria) almost four years ago where you can have a wonderful experience with the whole family thanks to the descent with a little train, a boat trip and a descent on the old wooden chutes used by miners!
Here is a small funny video with me and my daughter: go go go ! 

I see some old friends in your photos so I take it easy to say goodbye @helga19, @NatalkaR, @AntonellaGr, and @davide7O!

Have a great day,

David

Google Moderator

I trust your judgement, and I'll add this place to my list, @ErmesT🙂

Thank you again!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thank you @davidhyno, yes, I remember the mine, very funny.

Wieliczka is not so funny, but is very interesting, and you have to walk a lot 🙂

Level 10

dear @ErmesT! thanks for good memories!!!!! it was amazing trip! I'm happy that we did it. of course, I'll try to come to Belgium for seeing you and other amazing people@TorM@JanVanHaver@INGA1@NatalkaR@AntonellaGr@LudwigGermany@davide7O@barrazacarlos@ikaramon 

Connect Moderator

Yessss @NatalkaR

Can't wait to meet you again.We are getting a good trend of International meeting, isn't it?