AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

Why this photographer is fascinated by the beauty of doors

Caption: A photo of a white building with a bright pink door and two pink window boxes with greenery inside of them. (Courtesy of Bella Foxwell)Caption: A photo of a white building with a bright pink door and two pink window boxes with greenery inside of them. (Courtesy of Bella Foxwell)

Bella Foxwell is a London-based photographer who has been fascinated by the beauty of doors for as long as she can remember. “Whether it's because of their ‘new opportunity’ symbolism or because of their striking aesthetic appeal, I've been stopping in my tracks on streets around the country for years now,” she told us. “It's a strange obsession, but one it seems lots of other people share.”

Toward the end of 2015, she started The Doors of London, a photography project in which she shares the colorful doors she comes across in her city. “Doors was an easy subject choice because there's no shortage of them in London, and they look different all year round, as the seasons change,” she said. “Ultimately, I hope that the striking colors, glimpses into the history of this city, and the changing seasons reflected in the flora and fauna that frames the doors, brightens up someone’s day like it does mine.”

We recently caught up with her to learn more about her passion for photographing doors and her best tips for other photography enthusiasts.

Caption: A photo of a building with a purple door and large purple painted bay window surrounded by different colored flowers. (Courtesy of Bella Foxwell)Caption: A photo of a building with a purple door and large purple painted bay window surrounded by different colored flowers. (Courtesy of Bella Foxwell)

How and when did you first become interested in photography?

I've always been something of an amateur photographer, but it wasn't until I started my first job fresh out of university and discovered Instagram that I started taking it more seriously. Though when I say seriously, I am in no way professional! It’s taken years and lots of practice to develop my “style” (if you can call it that!).

Can you tell me about your process? How do you find great places to photograph?

It requires searching through Instagram (the geo-location tag is my best friend!) cross-referencing with Google Maps, and then heading out to different areas in London to wander around and find suitable doors. Some days there's lots to photograph, other days there's nothing. The best days are those when I stumble upon a new door I haven’t been actively looking for. That’s a rarity, but it’s exciting when it happens!

What makes a great door photo?

An interesting door is always one that is framed in some way, whether by window boxes, trees, or flowering plants. And color! The bolder the better.

Caption: A photo of the exterior of Minnow, a restaurant in London, covered in pink and red flowers with two tables and four chairs outside of it. (Local Guide Bella Foxwell)Caption: A photo of the exterior of Minnow, a restaurant in London, covered in pink and red flowers with two tables and four chairs outside of it. (Local Guide Bella Foxwell)

What advice do you have for people who hope to improve their photography skills?

Don't be afraid of being rubbish for a while. My early "doors" photographs were badly lit and off-centered. Progress was slow, but the more I practiced, the more I defined my photography and editing style (which is minimal by the way). It's boring but true: you've just got to practice, practice, practice.

What do you wish more people knew about photography?

That you don't have to have the best kit or know everything there is to know about photography. I use my phone for almost all of my photographs, and it's just taken practice to understand how to use light and the right angles to my advantage.

Do you have any tips for finding your niche as a photographer?

Think about what interests you. You want your niche to be able to fit easily into your everyday life, so that you can get out and photograph it regularly to hone your craft. For me, taking photographs of doors is something I can do wandering around the area in which I live, and it also encourages me to get out and explore areas I've never visited before.

What’s one thing you love taking (and sharing!) photos of? Tell us in the comments below!

65 comments
Level 8

Re: Why this photographer is fascinated by the beauty of doors

This is a great post. 

Really inspiring.

Nachiket Methre
Level 8

Very helpful and inspiring topic for me 

Level 9

Beautiful pictures my favourite picture is Bella foxwell @AriMar thank you for sharing with us .  

Level 10

Lovely!

Patrícia
https://www.instagram.com/patricia.praca.almeida/
Connect Moderator

@AriMar ,

Love the fact here is another great photographer who uses her phone for her profession.  Curious to know what kind of phone Bella uses to take these striking Door photos?

As for me, taking a good food photo before I eat (and I make everyone wait, not to touch their food, until I take my food photos) with my iPhone 8 Plus. And, of course, using only natural lighting as part of my Local Guides review and for my social accounts! 

Tagging @SoniaK  to read your post about Bella to give her ideas and inspiration.  

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

This reminded me how I started photography decades ago.

Sam Rosales
Level 6

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Good that she found her passion

Level 7

I love ur work keep it up

Abbas592
Level 8

London is a perfect place to catch really fancy doors.

Stay tuned!