TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

Why these two Googlers are dedicated to accessibility

Caption: Two photographs. Left: Cat with a stuffed bear she did not win, nor come close to winning, at Coney Island. Right: Rio standing in front of a railroad track at sunset. Rio is safe and not about to be run over by a train.Caption: Two photographs. Left: Cat with a stuffed bear she did not win, nor come close to winning, at Coney Island. Right: Rio standing in front of a railroad track at sunset. Rio is safe and not about to be run over by a train.

Today we're sharing an interview between two Googlers who’ve helped make it possible for people to share accessibility information on Google Maps. Local Guides, meet product managers @catwu and @RioAkasaka.

Cat: Rio, how did you get involved in this accessibility project?

Rio:You might be familiar with the 20 percent initiative at Google, which allows people like me to pursue projects that they’re passionate about for 20 percent of their workday. This is how I use my 20 percent time!

What motivated you to get involved?

Cat: I got a tiny glimpse of how inaccessible NYC is when I was on crutches and it made me much more aware of mothers maneuvering strollers, artists juggling large projects, people in wheelchairs, and others.

I saw a video with comedian Zach Anner that really quantified how inaccessible New York can be. He’s in a wheelchair, and it took him over 6 hours to get to a shop in Brooklyn that sells rainbow bagels. Getting around shouldn’t be this hard.

Rio: Have you tried it?

Cat: The rainbow bagel? Yes, mine had rainbow cream cheese and tasted like very dense funfetti cake! But no, I haven’t tried to take an accessible route to the shop.

What have you heard from people who use and add accessibility info on Google maps?

Rio: People email me to say they can’t get enough of adding accessibility information to places in their neighborhoods. What gets me excited is people who previously didn’t think this issue was important, but are now motivated to spend time on accessibility. The new Local Guides videos provide some powerful validation that this information is meaningful and useful.

Cat: What do you think Google can do better with accessibility information?

Rio: I think we’re just at the beginning of making the most of this data. Google Maps attempts to make sense of the real world, not just the software world. But the real world is messy, so making sense of it takes time and effort. I believe companies like Google shouldn’t be satisfied until they’ve solved much of the world’s accessibility information needs.

Cat, what motivates you to work on accessibility?

Cat: Honestly, people like you! Working at Google, it’s easy to sit back and think someone else will solve it. But seeing Googlers like you work with Local Guides and tackle this problem inspires me to do more.

Rio — you’re based in Boulder, which is a very active city. Are there any local initiatives focused on improving accessibility?

Rio: Before I even considered working on accessibility, I learned about this organization called Adaptive Sports. They make this great outdoor space accessible to everyone. Even if I feel like I’m doing something useful, they’re really making this world a better place.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
95 comments
Level 10

Re: Why these two Googlers are dedicated to accessibility

Salute them for take  a great   initiative for our society  a big number of people we don't think about them and do something there friendly 

images (1).png

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

Gracias @TraciC, por traernos está charla que es muy inspiradora y motivante, cuando el otro es más importante que el yo, el otro y no solo uno cuenta para solucionar problemas, pero creo que es como todo, la mayoría de las veces las grandes cosas salen de actos muy pequeños, como andar en muletas y experimentar las dificultades que eso ocasiona.

El poder ver como mejorar nuestro entorno para todos y cada uno de los que vivimos en el, es importante y que ellos hayan dedicado su 20% del tiempo en esto, es muy bueno, solo gracias por mostrarlo.

También está la  satisfacción interna de sentirte bien contigo mismo al ayudar al otro. 😃👍

Connect Moderator

Thanks @TraciC

For sharing with us. I think this is just the first step. My mom is disabled, and frequently she gets problems in finding a good way to reach a place. It is time to think about to add wheelchair as a way to travel in maps, to suggest the best way to cross the town.

Thanks to Cat and Rio for following this exciting project.

Ermes 

Level 9

Thank you @TraciC for sharing the interview, very inspiring!

Cat and Rio you are my superstars!

Connect Moderator

Just awesome initiative and Appropriate activity which is give us good direction to do somethings for the disabled people...  

Thanks @TraciC

Happy Guiding!!!!

Level 10

Cat and Rio you guys are dedicated heroes and such a inspiration for all of us. 

Thanks @TraciC for share this interview. 

Level 8

Hi LGuides family!

Thank you for share this interview.

Certainly: "...we’re just at the beginning of making the most of this data..."

One of my small contributions Bro @OSAMA.

Best regards from Brazil.

Level 9

AMAAAAZING 🏆🏅🏅🏅 

@TraciC can you mention them here so we can congrat and Celebrate Cat & Rio 👍🎖👍🎖👍🎖👍👌👌

Level 9

Thank you bro @Haruki 🙂

You are right we still at the beginning 😊