lizdrinksthecoffee's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Why "I don't know" shouldn't be an answer.

I see a ton questions answered with "I don't know" or "not sure". It's not fair to the people that actually contribute to Local Guides or the people asking questions. If you honestly don't know the answer, don't answer the question, simply because you want points. It's lame of you. Thanks for reading.

6 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Why "I don't know" shouldn't be an answer.

Hi @lizdrinksthecoffee. A Warm Welcome to Connect, the Official Community of Google Local Guides

I'm 100% in agreement with you. 

Of course sometimes it can happens. I mean, there is a bar where I was used to go for breakfast, and I have no idea about what they do at night. But I know they have good coffee and good food for lunch. But basically you are right, we must give answers about places that we know 

As this is your first post in here, i take the opportunity to give you some information:

• Need Help: The help area give you a lot of solutions if you need to "know how to ...."
    • Explore the Forum menu, to see what the various sections are about. You will find many interesting parts regarding, for example, meet-up, or photographic technique.
    • Give to the post a descriptive title

As an extra tips, i would suggest you to Search the community before posting as the same subject can be already being discussed.

Welcome again, I hope to see you soon 🙂

Ermes

Connect Moderator

@lizdrinksthecoffee I think it's dependent on the user to be honest. Unfortunately there definitely may be cases of abuse in this aspect, which I would hope maybe there is some sort of algorithm that can detect those who select the "I don't know" responses only or mostly, but like @ErmesT said, there are cases where many of us may answer with that selection truthfully. 

I guess another option would be for those to swipe to the next question instead of selecting an answer. Hmm.

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 7

Ermest, what a wonderful reply!  Very thoughtful to point not only him but other how to write better reviews. Well done!  Annette

Connect Moderator

Thanks @AnnetteM

A small tip to you: if you want to mention somebody use the @symbol, for the mentioned person to be notified. 

Well, this is the deepest essence of being Local Guides.

Local means: to have a direct knowledge of the places. Guides means : to help others with useful information.

So we have to add information of places that we knows. 

Keeping this in mind, we can be sure to have a good guideline about what to do and what not to do 

Ermes 

Level 9

@lizdrinksthecoffee I completely agree and I also strongly feel, that the Question part should be used to ask questions and not use in place of a review or a word or two.  For example I'm sick of the questions like:

spark plugs

Is that a question?  What are they specifically asking?  I don't feel those questions merit an answer.

New WriterNew SolutionistGood FriendSuper Popular| 9 Badges so far! | My Connect Profile | My Contributions
Level 9

I think there has to be a button that automatically comes up

@lizdrinksthecoffee wrote:

I see a ton questions answered with "I don't know" or "not sure". It's not fair to the people that actually contribute to Local Guides or the people asking questions. If you honestly don't know the answer, don't answer the question, simply because you want points. It's lame of you. Thanks for reading.

when a question is posted wherein people answering them can click to say 'don't know' or 'inappropriate' etc.

That way, the answer is logged and people abusing the system are taken care and genuine replies filter through. This is short of a moderator laboriously looking through all the questions and answers, which would be a painful task.