mapmaker1559's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Why is this one edit I'm trying to make failing?

In Google Maps, there's this memorial bridge I'm trying to add a placemark for, but both times I did it, once on the desktop and once on android, it just simply marked the edit as "Not Applied".  It didn't even go for review.  Why is this?  Is this a bug?

3 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: Why is this one edit I'm trying to make failing?

@mapmaker1559 

There are three main routes for the verification process to take:

1) Complete verification by Google Bot
2) Verification by crowdsourced "Check the Facts"
3) Manual review by a Googler

When the verdict of your edit is almost instantly, the verification process was completed by a computer.
Routes 2 and 3 results in a temporarily pending edit. This can take weeks and in some cases even months.

In case of your example, your edit was Not Applied based on a computer algorithm that verified your edit.

View solution in original post

Level 9

Hello @mapmaker1559,

In google maps, place creation needs to be verified by regional local guides or automated system. If your edit is in pending state, means your edit will be reviewed some authorised person or system.

But there are few reasons to mark an edit as "Not Applied". First, the information you provided might not accurate or enough to verify your edit. Secondly, somehow your provided information may contains any bad data. Thirdly, probably you violated some place creation rules intentionally or unintentionally.

For more details reading you may follow these links:

1. Why is my edit status Pending or Not Applied

2. NOT Applied Place creation (see the solution)

Level 7

Hi @ShahnewazAhmed.  Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.  However, I don't think you understand what I meant.  The problem is that it's not even entering the "Pending" phase.  It just gets instantly denied.  I find this odd considering that, most of the time, whenever I add a missing place to the map, it gets published instantly without review.  So do you know why would this one get denied instantly without review?

Level 8
Solution

@mapmaker1559 

There are three main routes for the verification process to take:

1) Complete verification by Google Bot
2) Verification by crowdsourced "Check the Facts"
3) Manual review by a Googler

When the verdict of your edit is almost instantly, the verification process was completed by a computer.
Routes 2 and 3 results in a temporarily pending edit. This can take weeks and in some cases even months.

In case of your example, your edit was Not Applied based on a computer algorithm that verified your edit.