SATHISH's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Why is my edit status Pending or Not Applied? the right one ??

The world is a big and dynamic place — as it evolves, our goal is to keep the information on Google Maps as fresh and accurate as possible.

In order to do that, Local Guides submit edits to ensure their communities are accurately represented. Sometimes, an edit you have submitted may appear as 

Many of you have asked why your edit is shown that way, so we wanted to share more information with you how edits are reviewed and why they may appear as such.

Every edit submitted to Google Maps passes through automated systems that analyze different factors, such as the information submitted, the location of the edit, your mapping activity, and other factors to make sure everything we are adding to the map is accurate and follows

If we are not sure the edit is accurate, it may be listed as Denied. If your edit status is listed as Pending, it means we need to take a closer look at the information, which can take some time to verify through our staff and other Local Guides

India
12 comments
Level 9

Re: Why is my edit status Pending or Not Applied? the right one ??

Hi @GusMoreira,

I’m on an island adding multiple new businesses to Google Maps, while some are approved in minutes, 60-70% are “not approved”. 

Any suggestions? 

573D5FD8-1805-4A99-854F-902047EB1429.png

Its very frustrating to go into a business, get all their info; phone numbers, hours, website, etc. Submit it all for it to be “not approved”, I have now lost all the info and can’t resubmit. 

Any way that “trusted LGs” with a Master contributor badge can bypass Google’s automated system and trust we are submitting an accurate business. Most of the time we are inside the store with the owner and that’s going to be the most accurate information Google Maps will ever receive. 

Thanks

Alex

Level 6

I've been having this same problem.  Adding new places in my city, Cincinnati, Ohio, that are not listed on Google Maps yet.

I tend to just visit these businesses very early like in their first few days of opening, so I'm used to being the person that adds them in Google Maps, Yelp, Foursquare, etc.   However, in Google Maps many of these place creations are getting "not applied" without a way to report to Google that the automated system is incorrect.  Very frustrating experience when you want to add other info like photos or reviews.  I don't have these issues when adding metadata on Yelp.

Level 10

I absolutely agree with you Ted. Whenever a new place comes to open, I tend to flock to that new place, take some grand new photos and help the business kick off. This is when usually there are plenty of flowers around (a lot of Asian cultures gift flowers in congratulation of their shop opening) so I take angles of places that don't have all the flowers everywhere.

But since recently, I have been very discouraged as probably over half of my edits no longer go through like they used to. These automated rejections should be able to be contested. Of course you can find the main reasons as per the original post here, but if you would like some assistance you can request for help.

Level 6

Hello Briggs,

Is this the original post you're referring to?

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Why-is-my-edit-status-Pending-or-Not-Applie...

I see a link to the general guidelines but didn't see anything about viewing the reason a particular edit was not applied.  Is it possible to get that info somewhere?  I've poked around the iOS app quite a bit but am not seeing it. 

Best,

Taylor

Level 10

Correct Ted. While those guidelines are extremely general, plainly verifiable information even seems to be rejected by human reviewers as well, and unfortunately we won't receive any information as to why an edit was rejected. "There are billions of reasons why we reject your edit" is not a reason. There is no method unless a Googler can actually explain it to us, and even so that information is classified.

Connect Moderator

Hi @tedmiston,

Google receives tens of thousands of edits each day, it's not possible to give personalize responses for each.

In the past there was a tool named Google Map Maker which was intended for advanced mappers to make complex edits.  At first the reviewers did respond to and coach mappers, but over time even that advanced tool had so many visiting it that it was found that less than 1% of people returned to read the advice, thus making the efforts effectively fruitless.

Consider also that Google will never be precise about exactly how denials work, as that would give a roadmap to the spammers.

The advanced mappers can help you to learn why certain types of edits are not permitted and how others must be made should you post the details of edits with which you are having issues.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Re: Edit status Pending or Not Applied?

This a great source of frustration and leading to poor quality of data in Google maps. let me explain more, I live Kabinburi, Thailand about two hours east of Bangkok, in my local area I had over 50 edits that could not be verified some of which are locations that don't exist and have no detailed location data in them, other are trivial addition of phone numbers and the like, I understand the review process but in my situation many do not make it live. for example there are meant to be 3 temples in the rice field opposite which don't exist.   At the same time the system lets me add new locations easily, I suspect there are not many or any Local guides in my area so I cant get a local review. I would have thought local guides of a certain level should be able to edit these trivial location details.    

with kind regards

Colin

Level 9

Re: Edit status Pending or Not Applied?

@colinchaffers, I have the same problem. It’s easy to add places that don’t exist. It’s almost like the verifying algorithm doesn’t work for new locations but is extra selective when making changes. I find a lot of businesses without a website and phone number which are then not applied. I’m curious to know what they use to approve a phone number for a local bakery, how do they determine it’s the wrong number? When I’m standing in the bakery with the owner updating their info. I can’t even make a category change some times. 

I agree with what you said that LGs of a certain level should be allowed to make some edits without too much scrutiny. Like phone numbers, websites, hours, etc. 

Level 9

I had same problem for edit is pending .. I was edit for timing of one lab..even i took picture and upload on edit page... but still last 2-3 months status is pending..