RamB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Why do people make mistakes with their location marking?

Hi Folks,

We have been seeing and experiencing many many times, that people often make mistakes with location map marking to Google maps. As it leads to a major problem with their customers approaching or reaching to their service location?

What best changes or features we guys can think to advise or suggest to Google Local in order to help them to mark their location on Google maps easily.

Ram

Ludhiana, Punjab, India
3 comments
Level 10

Re: Why do people make mistakes with their location marking?

Hey @RamB, its a serious problem. You can organize local guides meets-up in your area where you can advice them too. Also you can mail them that they are doing wrong. If you found any reviews terribly unsuitable and disgusting then you can flag them. Also you can apply 'suggest an edit' to the wrong places.

Level 8

Hello everyone, 

Now I'm fairly new here, so it's probably been suggested before, but Lg's sometimes seem to just throw their location pins at the map, a kind of anywhere near will do. 

Is there not a standard that pins should be placed at the front of an establishment, even with large places, there is generally a front main entrance?

Could some level 5's be authorized to lock down pins once they have been verified as ultimately correct, so that they cannot be moved without manual intervention afterwards.

Just an idea but aligning pins up on the map, especially on a street does make a map easier to read.

Keep up the good work and thanks for reading.

Cheers

Keith

Level 10

Hello @keithb33, your issue is right. Level 5 guides also does not have authority to lock down the pin. It may be because the surrounding is changing by time. The entrance can be shifted from current point to another channel by owner, any office in a place can leave that place and another may come etc. I mean to say that the shifts and changes can happen anytime. In my city also, government is demolishing the building in the periphery of roads in order to broaden it. That is why locking may not be good always. Another thing is its a community based program. If there is someone to add features on the map then there is anther to search these features. The responsibility of each is to contribute and improve the map. Also, those who are not placing pins at exact point may have reached to level 5 since its a point system and its easy to earn them. So no one can't entirely rely on level 5 guides. That is why in my view problems will continue to happen. But we should not give up to correct them.  Meanwhile here will be problems  but in long term we will have best map results.