Potsdamomente's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Why I love doors and how I take photos of them

I have found lots and lots of doors in my hometown Potsdam, that I could marvel on for hours. The more doors I find, the more I find myself looking for small details that could hint at what lies behind a door.

Do you also think that doors are fascinating? I want to share a few experiences with taking photos of doors.

1. Stand right in front of the door

The angle you are taking a photo from always as a huge impact on you image. I found that it's best to face the door so that it looks like a rectangle and rather two-dimensional. Bear in mind that you want to show the door as in its while beauty. The viewer of our photo can perceive the door at ist best advantage, when it is closed and shot from a frontal point of view.

Stand in front of the door.Stand in front of the door.

2. Avoid parking cars and other obstructions

See the car in the lower right corner of the photo below? I waited for so long to find this particular door without cars blocking the view! But the time I needed to get my camera out, a car found its way to the parking space in front of it, so I had to be very quick. A photo of a door with mundane cars parked in front of just wont to, it doesn't look like a proper doortrait. So if you get the chance, try to avoid cars in front of your door. Sometines it helps to wait a few moments or to visit the door at a later time. It can also make a difference from where you are taking your photo. With a wide-angle-lens you can get much nearer and maybe avoid obstructions, blocking the view.A car threeatens to obstruct the view, be quick!A car threeatens to obstruct the view, be quick!

3. Give the door a frame

A door is just a door, when it has no context. The space around it can provide contrast and make it more interesting. Think of it as a frame, that will only enhance the colors, the details and the structure of your image. Sometime not only the facade, but also trees are plants will provide an interesting frame. Take a few steps back and think about the details that could make the door look more symmetrical or work as a frame for your door.The fassade, the bikes and the piers create a frame for the doorThe fassade, the bikes and the piers create a frame for the door

4. Edit your photo

Just to be clear, you don't have to do a lot of editing. But some small adjustments make your photo look so much better, espacially if it is rectified. I love to use the Upright function in Lightroom for this, its mostly just one click. Sometimes I like to highten the contast and make the door stand out a bit more by adding more light in the center or by increasing the saturation of a certain color (like with the blue in the image below).You don't have to put much effort in it but it will make a notable difference.Before and after some small adjustments in LightroomBefore and after some small adjustments in Lightroom

I hope this was helpful. I'm sure there is a lot more to say about this topic, so I'm looking forward to you comments! 🙂

Hey, I'm Nadine and a love to get out and take photos. I'm a bit obsessed with taking photos of Potsdam (Germany), so if you ever plan to take photos in Potsdam, head over to my blog to get the tips about what to see and where to go 😄
Potsdam, Deutschland
56 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Why I love doors and how I take photos of them

Hi @Potsdamomente,

Welcome to Connect!

Thanks for sharing this interesting post. I enjoyed reading it. Is this your favorite hobby?

As this is your first post, I just wanted to let you know that Connect is a place to get to know other Local Guides, share your stories, provide feature requests, organize meet-ups, share your feedback and many more.

To share a bit about yourself and get to know other fellows in Connect you can visit our monthly Introduce Yourself  section.

Hope you have fun here and see you around! : )

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Betreff: Why I love doors and how I take photos of them

ich finde den beitrag sehr gut,die fotos sind auch nicht schlecht,weiter so

lg ingo

Level 9

Sure,it is useful post !

Thank you for sharing such interesting tips,perfect  photos @Potsdamomente.

I like to make photos the door too,because the door always intetesting detail in the house,every owner the house has the different door .In every countries the colour of the door is not the same-In Greece -blue colour,In Marocco-orange colour for example.

Best wishes,

Inga

Hi @helga19, this is a very interesting fact that each country has its color for doors. The is the traditional color that doors in your country have?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Hello @TsekoV

In my country the colour of the door in private house is white,black or natural colour of the wood.

Thank you for sharing @helga19. This is very interesting and I am quite curious to see some photos if you are willing to upload any. : - )

Level 8

Hello @Potsdamomente. Interesting post from you. In Dublin City centre you will see many doors like this, they are called Georgian doors and are old and historic to the 4 King Georges that once ruled Ireland. Many have been restored in recent years to their former gloryGeorgian Doors, DublinGeorgian Doors, Dublin

Thanks for sharing @Eire27. I am curious do the Georgian doors have specific colors like on the photo that you uploaded? Do you find some meaning behind the color of a door in Ireland? Maybe the 4th King Georges had a favorite one?

Level 2

Hi @Potsdamomente, welcome to Connect and I enjoyed your post! Thank you for sharing the photos of your passion for photographing doors in your city along with the great tips!