HelloSamsonR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Why Are Websites Stealing My Information On The Google Maps

@TraciC Please can you tell me why my contributions are being used by different websites?. The contributions I make is only for the google maps, why are my Information being used by third party companies without my permissions?

48 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: Why Are Websites Stealing My Information On The Google Maps

@SamsonR wrote:

@TraciC Have a look at this links https://aroundguides.com/ChIJ0f93UpdxTBARK5enWN-3tHo http://placesmap.net/NG/esso-junction-12229/

That is what I am actually reffering too. I hope you help me understand why that website is using contributions I make to google maps on their website

Hi @HelloSamsonR,

as I can remember, developers who rely on data from Google maps api should mention the source of data which is visible on the first website (Google), and he mention your name as credit so it's ok as fair use.

don't forget that you agreed that your contributions are public and accessible via APIs & service of Google. In some cases they use them without credit and that its copyright infringement so you should report them. Google allow Photographers to put their watermarks in condition to not exceed 20% of the photo especially for photospheres.

you should read this too https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/News-Updates/How-to-Upload-Great-Photos-to-Google-Maps/ba-p/98...

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HelloSamsonR Contributions you make on maps is not your property ☺ Google own that and Google alow everyone​ to use maps embedded on their website ☺ or links on maps... I can't forbid anybody to use navigation on maps just because I was draw roads, also many websites taking information from maps and use like their own 😉

Level 7

I am not sure if it can answer your question, but Google has a guideline here.

https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html

Level 10

@Anonymous wrote:

@HelloSamsonR Contributions you make on maps is not your property ☺ Google own that and Google alow everyone​ to use maps embedded on their website ☺ or links on maps... I can't forbid anybody to use navigation on maps just because I was draw roads, also many websites taking information from maps and use like their own 😉

I Agree.

P.S. How cool is your animated D?!?!?!?!

Level 10

@Anonymous Google owns the map fine. But I make the contributions which am happy to do so. Seeing websites using your information wrongly is a big worry. I think we should have a policy very soon on that. I make the contributions on google maps, not on other websites.

Level 10

@LucioV I do not agree yet, I need to know more reasons why?

Level 7

By the way I was also thinking about that; it would be nice at least to have our photos registered under creative commons license (if google maps app do that automatically). Just an idea. 

Level 5

Cảm ơn bạn

Rất vui được làm quen.
Cordially greet
Level 10

@ZekariasT I agree with you. That is what I think. Imagine thousands of websites publishing my names and photos with reviews and I never knew about that. I am contributing only to google maps and not different types of websites I have no idea about.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know all of that @HelloSamsonR, but in a fact you are providing info on Google Maps and many people actually doing their business with those info + some other resources.

You as a volunteer you do not have any rights on those info you provide on Maps...

@SamsonR wrote:

@Anonymous Google owns the map fine. But I make the contributions which am happy to do so. Seeing websites using your information wrongly is a big worry. I think we should have a policy very soon on that. I make the contributions on google maps, not on other websites.