AniaKiser's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Who would like to live in an art gallery? Street art heaven in Gdansk- Zaspa, Poland.

Artists: Rafał Roskowiński, Jacek ZdybelArtists: Rafał Roskowiński, Jacek Zdybel

There are places in the world that hardly anyone has heard of. There are amazing museums with priceless artifacts, jungles with unusual animals ... But when you are crazy enough about something, you find interesting "surprise places" and want to share them with others.

This time, the place that prompted me to write this article is the Gdańsk district of Zaspa in Poland. The place is amazing as it is literally an open air art gallery. The Zaspa district covers an area of ​​3.21 km² and has a population of almost 30,000 citizens. You can find here over sixty huge murals, that decorate apartment blocks and as I was talking to people there, they are really happy to live in such an unusual art gallery.

Despite the limited travel possibilities, this year I managed to go to the other end of my country and visit Gdańsk-Zaspa, together with its monumental gallery of street art. Most of the buildings have walls painted with beautiful murals. The subject matter is extremely varied, as is the style of the artists or the date of their creation. We can find here completely abstract works, important in terms of patriotism or commemorating historical events. The first paintings were created in 1997 by the Gdańsk School of Mural, other murals have been painted by artists from around the world as part of the Monumental Art Festival. I spent three hours there and I couldn't see all the murals, but thanks to that I will want to go there again. I encourage every street art lover to set aside time to discover this extraordinary district full of art when in Poland. A great idea is to visit the Murals Gdansk Zaspa and ask for a guided tour or check the map and explore this open-air gallery on your own.The map provides many useful info-about the artist, title and when the painting was created. This place is amazing for sure. I guarantee that this travel memory will stay with you for many years.

Map showing the location of each mural in Gdansk-ZaspaMap showing the location of each mural in Gdansk-Zaspa

Do you know similar places in the world with as many murals as here?

Maybe you have already visited Gdańsk? I would appreciate if you leave a comment below 🙂

For more street art photos check my "Street Art Heaven" posts here on Connect and also you can visit my Instagram profile @streetart.heaven

Former president of Poland- Lech Walesa and pope John Paul II, artist: Rafał RoskowińskiFormer president of Poland- Lech Walesa and pope John Paul II, artist: Rafał RoskowińskiArtist: Piotr BondarczykArtist: Piotr BondarczykArtist: ZosenArtist: Zosen

Artist: M-cityArtist: M-city

Artist: MonstfurArtist: Monstfur

Artist: ProzakArtist: Prozak

Artists: Rafał Roskowiński and Wojciech WoźniakArtists: Rafał Roskowiński and Wojciech Woźniak

Artist: Alejandro Sanchez VigilArtist: Alejandro Sanchez VigilArtist: RunArtist: Run

Artist: Rafał RoskowińskiArtist: Rafał RoskowińskiArtist: Same84Artist: Same84

Artist: EktaArtist: Ekta

Artists: Gdansk School of MuralArtists: Gdansk School of Mural

Artists: Gdansk School of MuralArtists: Gdansk School of MuralArtists: Licuado and AlfaflaArtists: Licuado and Alfafla

Gdańsk, Poland
49 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Who would like to live in an art gallery? Street art heaven in Gdansk- Zaspa, Poland.

Hi @AniaKiser I've released this from the spam quarantine. Editing shortly after posting should be avoided.

Love the photos of this enormous street art collection.

Paul

Level 9

Re: Who would like to live in an art gallery? Street art heaven in Gdansk- Zaspa, Poland.

Thank you so much @PaulPavlinovich! 😊 I'm glad you like it! I've got at least materials for three more street art posts at the moment, I'll let you know when is ready, hopefully not at 5.45am 😂

Level 9

Wow @AniaKiser this is beautiful art on building ! In my city (Vevey) there are 2 building in Memory of Charlie Chaplin like this

Vevey-Suisse-Charlie-Chaplin-Fresque-Charlie-Chaplin17.jpg

Source : https://citecreation.fr/en/realisation/chaplin-towers-monumental-mural-design-vevey

Check and follow me as Local Guide on Google Maps
I'm a Local Guide because I love #help #share #discover #travel

I'm from Lausanne, Switzerland and live in Vevey, Switzerland
Other content here : Application video 2020 | My Connect Live 2019 experience| christophesubilia.com | Instagram

#frenchlocalguides
Level 9

They are amazing 😍 @christophesubilia Thank you very much for sharing 😁

Level 10

@AniaKiser Great post. Your collection of street art is impressive!

I haven't asked before are you a painter yourself?

My collection is small, though dear to me (I am not an artist, nothing similar). But now those old pieces are not so actual here. New period in history gives birth to new waves in art.

Street art became a kind of weapon in Belarus, a method of protests.

Can you imagine that the mural in the usual city yard is drawn and painted over again and again almost each day. 

There are real fights for each such mural when people gather together not to allow police and communal services to paint it over. But anyways it appears painted over again and again. And like Phoenix comes to life again at the same place.

Level 10

Wonderful! I expected nothing less from the queen of street arts @AniaKiser. These views are very beautiful ❤️. Thanks for sharing them and lightening up Connect a bit 

Isaac
Level 9

HI @OlgaKlimchik No, I'm not an artist unfortunately. I'm just a Street art hunter 😉 I know you're fighting for your freedom now in Belarus. I hope you will win this battle. The art is a great, peaceful weapon! Well said about the Phoenix 👏

Level 9

@Mayford Thank you a lot! 😁 I'm happy I notice more and more street art in Poland every day. These murals make cities more colorful and interesting in my opinion. 🙂 Another thing is that following the street art paths I discover new places and that is an adventure! 

Level 10

@AniaKiser I don't fight. I am watching from the side and really not sure that any result will be great already. Wars rarely bring happiness.

But I have seen usual murals from the other side. They can say so much!