Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Who is deleting photos from Google Maps

@NinCo appreciate your concern.

Level 10

Thanks @Pea for this detailed answer as It will help me upload even better and more relevant photographs next time

Level 7

@F-Rathore @NinCo @ProfArunCM @Devilgorgor @Felicity_Perth doing good job guys

Shobit dawer
Level 2

The main problem at Maps is that most of the things are done without human being involved. So photos are deleted within predefined algorithm. Most of the users are also uploading automated photo submissions, and autowriting predefined sets of comments with variations, so after all no quality, just quantity,  and nobody will enjoy in the photos or descriptions of the places.

Level 10

@Monte I think most the 200k+ LG here will bristled at your comment about things are automated!!

I don't think Google's photos policy is as automated as you think. I have a bit of experience in machine vision and the gulf reality / hope is rather big.

@Monte wrote:

The main problem at Maps is that most of the things are done without human being involved. So photos are deleted within predefined algorithm. Most of the users are also uploading automated photo submissions, and autowriting predefined sets of comments with variations, so after all no quality, just quantity,  and nobody will enjoy in the photos or descriptions of the places.

Level 8

Absolutely agree! That automated feature should be made available to guides that have proven the quality of their photos. 

#BeKnownForWhatYouCreate
Level 2

@PierceD wrote:

@PierceD wrote:

I will also add that, sometimes, if you delete your photos from "Photos," they get deleted from Google Maps. But not all the time. Because technology...

This thread has figured it out, though the answers are buried in a lot of backtalk.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/photos/-gMUXqeiEao;context-place=starred

SUMMARY

Technical Explanation:

"geo.osm said:

...And the problem is the following.
Normally (using the browser) adding a photo to a Maps POI will create a subalbum in the album "Photos from posts". So this photo would protected if you delete the copy in Google Photos.
Using the Android Maps app (have no iOS) this doesnt happen. No subalbum in "Photos from posts" will created. Its just a album in the root.

I think for new user this looks pretty complicated. Personally after several years working with Photos, Views, Picasa etc, and using all the combinations between them, and after hundreds of changes from Google in the meantime, I really do not want to learn any more and try to understand how albums are working, something which is not clear even to Program Managers.

Thats why in this case the photo is also removed from the Maps POI.
You can check this in your album archive.
For my understanding this is a bug.
It is not a bug, this is normal, everything is working different on desktop, and android. The best example are constellations in Google Business, or whatever is called now, and then Viewing engine for photospheres.

If you do a post in the Maps forum let me know the URL to thread, so I can escalate it there to the CM's..."

WORKAROUND:

1) When taking photos to be added to Google Maps, take them from your camera app, not within Google Maps app.

2) Then upload the photos from your device, not from Google Photos.

3) Then, when you delete them from Google Photos, they will stay on Google Maps.

Basically, you are keeping everything as separate as possible.

This will be necessary as long as Google does not resolve their subalbum bug.

I do agree, the best way, but not so comfortable, thank you @PierceD

Level 5

@Monte wrote:

@PierceD wrote:

@PierceD wrote:

I will also add that, sometimes, if you delete your photos from "Photos," they get deleted from Google Maps. But not all the time. Because technology...

This thread has figured it out, though the answers are buried in a lot of backtalk.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/photos/-gMUXqeiEao;context-place=starred

SUMMARY

Technical Explanation:

"geo.osm said:

Normally (using the browser) adding a photo to a Maps POI will create a subalbum in the album "Photos from posts". So this photo would protected if you delete the copy in Google Photos.
Using the Android Maps app (have no iOS) this doesnt happen. No subalbum in "Photos from posts" will created. Its just a album in the root.

I think for new user this looks pretty complicated. Personally after several years working with Photos, Views, Picasa etc, and using all the combinations between them, and after hundreds of changes from Google in the meantime, I really do not want to learn any more and try to understand how albums are working, something which is not clear even to Program Managers.

It is not a bug, this is normal, everything is working different on desktop, and android. The best example are constellations in Google Business, or whatever is called now, and then Viewing engine for photospheres.

If you do a post in the Maps forum let me know the URL to thread, so I can escalate it there to the CM's..."

WORKAROUND:

1) When taking photos to be added to Google Maps, take them from your camera app, not within Google Maps app.

3) Then, when you delete them from Google Photos, they will stay on Google Maps.

I am not Expert, but this looks more than complicated. And to whom it is possible to believe?

Level 8

K@Dontcry43

Thank you for your additional information.  I agree that Photo Album might be confusing for new users.  However, this clarification is offtopic related to my question since  I explicitly pointed out that I recovered the deleted photos by using my Album Archive. 

I should note that the initial question served to clarify and help us improve our interactions on Google maps. The solution is chosen and the discussion should be closed as far as I'm concerned as the person who asked the question. 

I hope a Moderator can look into this and help me close further comments. I have no clue if this functionality exists on "Connect" or if I could send feedback and hope it gets implemented. 

@Dontcry43 I do appreciate your significant experience with Google Apps yet the fact that you have stopped following updates might be a bad idea when performing Local Guides role. Google is putting great resources for excellent customer experience, including experience on the go, on Google Maps. 

In this aspect your advice about ignoring Google Photos app is inaccurate.  I don't have issues uploading photos from Google Photos App to Maps in the first place.  Google Photos has new features that are a great facilitator of processing photos on the go.  I keep records from best examples here "Go Local Online Benefits"   if you wish to check. 

Best regards,

N.

@Dontcry43 wrote:

@Monte wrote:

@PierceD wrote:

@PierceD wrote:

SUMMARY

Technical Explanation:

"geo.osm said:

WORKAROUND:

I am not Expert, but this looks more than complicated. And to whom it is possible to believe?

#BeKnownForWhatYouCreate
Former Google Contributor

Hello @NinCo,

I've blocked new replies for this thread. If you have any additional requests, don't hesitate to tag one of us moderators. 

Hope this helps!