ValérieE's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Which language for a review of a place abroad?

Hi the Local Guide Community,

I am French, but I live in the UK. I post my reviews in French only (I give my French point of views to French people) but I am not sure the owners of the different places can understand and it is not very useful for locals...

That is why I was wondering... is it better to write them in my native language or in English?

What are the pros and cons? what are your habits as a foreigner or a tourist visiting another country?

Thank you for your view!

26 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Which language for a review of a place abroad?

But I won't be able to understand your reviews if I don't speak Italian...

I agree Valérie, but I think that in future all the reviews will be automatically translated in the reader's language by google, so, if the people write with a good grammar in their native language the translation should be a good one. The system is already used by other services like TripAdvisor and if I'm not wrong also booking.com.

People in future will have to choose from the automatically translated version of the reviews or the original versions.

For this reason I'm writing my reviews in Italian also if I'm abroad. I cannot describes all the experiences in a good english because I should need a vocabulary every time I'm describing my opinion/sensations...If not my review would be very impersonal.

View solution in original post

Level 10

dear @ValérieE you can give English or French better use English . also use both in a review 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 4

You mean, in the same review?

Level 10

@ValérieE yes if you want 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

Hi @ValérieE,

I will say just write in the language you feel comfortable with.

Reader can use Google Translate if needed.

Former Google Contributor

Thanks @ValérieE this is a great question and being effectively bilingual (or staying in a place where your second language is the main language locally) meant that it can get confusing at times when deciding the best language to write reviews. There is an existing discussion here that you would be interested in! 

I personally use the language I am most comfortable with (i.e. English) as it is a universal language and even if the locals do not understand it, tourists/ visitors would find it useful! Oh, and I agree with @YK1001 on translation as well.

Level 4

Thank you YanniY

But I can't access to the discussion, they say: 'You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.'

I know that English is the main language on internet in general. But I don't really know how to explain my problem with that.

For example, I am French, I live in the UK and usually (ok, sometimes) I don't like the same thing that English like! I mean, according to your culture, background... you can't judge a place in the same way. Unfortunately, to each is own!

My problem is how to know if the person is more like me, if I can trust the review according to what I like! It is very subjective but it would be interesting to keep in mind that as a Local Guide. That's why I write my review in French because I want to be read by French people - our point of view is more likely to be the same! 

Does it make sense? Has Google already planned to do something about taking into account this issue?

Thank you again!

Level 10

From my point of view it is better to write the review in your native language. There are a lot of instruments, first of them Google Translate, that help people to understand what you wrote. Moreover if you write with a bad english, like in my case, maybe it is less useful than a good review in a goof French that could be easily understoon through Google translate. 

I think in future google will improve the service with an automatic translation of reviews in the reders languages.

Level 4

Thank you very much for your straightforward answer. So for the others who are NOT an English native speaker, why do you write your comment in English? I am not the only one to take care of the local people and tourists who don't speak English, am I?

Level 10

Interesting question.

Actually i use Italian for all reviews of Italian places, and English everywhere in the world.

But could be better to start translate my Italian reviews, you got the right point.