kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Where to see art by Andy Warhol

Andy Warhol was an American artist and leader in the pop art movement who was known for his silkscreens and the wild antics that went on in his studio, The Factory. His work addressed celebrity culture and advertising, and many of his creations are among the most expensive pieces of art ever sold.

Warhol would have turned 90 today, so in honor of his birthday, here are six great places to see his masterpieces around the globe according to your fellow Local Guides.

1. Andy Warhol Museum of Modern Art (Medzilaborce, Slovakia)

According to the museum's website, Andy Warhol's brother and local artists founded this colorful museum in the small town of Mezilaborce, Slovakia.

Caption: A photo of the interior of the Andy Warhol Museum of Modern Art in Medzilaborce, Slovakia showing many colorful prints by Andy Warhol against a wallpaper of Cambell’s soup cans. (Local Guide Michaela Nižňanská)Caption: A photo of the interior of the Andy Warhol Museum of Modern Art in Medzilaborce, Slovakia showing many colorful prints by Andy Warhol against a wallpaper of Cambell’s soup cans. (Local Guide Michaela Nižňanská)

Local Guides say:

“Interesting place in the city, where parents of Andy Warhol were born.” - Local Guide Jiri Rydl

2. The Andy Warhol Museum (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)

Located in Warhol's hometown, this museum is the largest in North America dedicated to a single artist. Its 17 galleries showcase thousands of works of art by Warhol.

Caption: A photo of The Andy Warhol Museum featuring a large photo of Andy Warhol sitting on a couch hung on a silver brick wall with a similar-looking couch to the one in the photo in front of it. (Local Guide Emily Webb)Caption: A photo of The Andy Warhol Museum featuring a large photo of Andy Warhol sitting on a couch hung on a silver brick wall with a similar-looking couch to the one in the photo in front of it. (Local Guide Emily Webb)

Local Guides say:

“Excellent exhibition of Warhol’s work. The modern design of this museum is really something to behold. The museum has 7 levels and each level represent each decade of Warhol’s amazing accomplishments and artwork.” - Local Guide Allen

3. The Museum of Modern Art (New York City, New York)

One of the largest museums in the world, MoMA's massive collection includes quite a few Warhols. Check the museum's website to see what's currently on view.

Caption: A photo of Andy Warhol’s painting “Campbell's Soup Cans,” an art piece that is made up of 32 paintings of different types of red and white Campbell soup cans, on display at MoMa in New York City. (Local Guide Alberto Gagna)Caption: A photo of Andy Warhol’s painting “Campbell's Soup Cans,” an art piece that is made up of 32 paintings of different types of red and white Campbell soup cans, on display at MoMa in New York City. (Local Guide Alberto Gagna)

Local Guides say:

“Amazing museum to see great artists such as Andy Warhol, Picasso, Monet among others.” - Local Guide Beatriz Rodrigues

4. San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (San Francisco, California)

SF MoMA's collection of over 33,000 works includes more than two dozen Warhols. Check their website to see what's currently on display.

Caption: A photo of four Andy Warhol works at SF MoMA: “Robert Mapplethorpe,” “Mao,” “Dolly Parton,” “Andy Warhol Nine Marilyns [Reversal series].” (Local Guide Wes Swank)Caption: A photo of four Andy Warhol works at SF MoMA: “Robert Mapplethorpe,” “Mao,” “Dolly Parton,” “Andy Warhol Nine Marilyns [Reversal series].” (Local Guide Wes Swank)

Local Guides say:

“A great collection in a great building. I particularly loved the old 1963 Andy Warhol silk screens.” - Local Guide Gordon Reece

5. Municipal Museum of Contemporary Art (Gent, Belgium)

Abbreviated S.M.A.K, this Belgian museum's permanent collection features some impressive Warhols, including "Marilyn Monroe," alongside other contemporary masters.

Caption: A photo of Andy Warhol’s “Marilyn Monroe,” a series of ten prints featuring the same headshot of Marilyn Monroe each rendered in different colors, hanging in Belgium’s Municipal Museum of Contemporary Art. (Local Guide Colin Tonge)Caption: A photo of Andy Warhol’s “Marilyn Monroe,” a series of ten prints featuring the same headshot of Marilyn Monroe each rendered in different colors, hanging in Belgium’s Municipal Museum of Contemporary Art. (Local Guide Colin Tonge)

Local Guides say:

“Cool museum with nice exhibits. Spacy rooms gives the art pieces the respect they deserves, and the viewer possibilities to really appreciate the dimensional values of the works and comprehend the ideas behind them.” - Local Guide Ragnar Granfeldt

6. Moderna Museet (Stockholm, Sweden)

This gem in Stockholm houses Warhol works like a purple "Ten-Foot Flowers,” "Electric Chair,” and “Dance Diagram.”

Caption: A photo of Andy Warhol’s “Dance Diagram,” a black and white print of dance steps, hanging at Stockholm’s Moderna Museet. (Local Guide Andrea De Angelis)Caption: A photo of Andy Warhol’s “Dance Diagram,” a black and white print of dance steps, hanging at Stockholm’s Moderna Museet. (Local Guide Andrea De Angelis)

Local Guides say:

“Beautiful museum, a must see. The permanent exhibitions are free. You can see many works of Marcel Duchamp, Fernand Léger, Picasso, Andy Warhol.” - Local Guide Christophe Mertz

Do you love to visit art museums? Tell us your favorite one to go to in the comments below!

8 comments
Level 10

Re: Where to see art by Andy Warhol

Nice and informative post @kmajewski. Learned something new. Thank you for sharing this with us. Some links are not opening. 

Connect Moderator

@kmajewski, to be honest:

I‘m handicapped in understanding art. I didn’t learn how interesting and nice art could be. 

When visiting a museum of art, I feel like a dyslexia visiting a library...

The point is, that I didn’t understood this, before I visited in Munich the:

Alte Pinakothek
https://goo.gl/maps/oNkmtAPVtZS2

(Must visit in Munich!!!)

Now I do at least know that I have this handicap, but for humans (so for me for sure) it is often difficult to understand and accept they have a deficit...

I prefer other kind of museums than art, but not because are for sure better, but I have the „skill“ to understand some of them.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

Didn't realize there are so many Andy Wharol museums around the world @kmajewski

My favorite museums of all time (in no particular order):

1. Uffizi Gallery -  Piazzale degli Uffizi, 6, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy

2, Asian Art Museum -  200 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA 94102

3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art  - 1000 5th Ave, New York, NY 10028

4, Shanghai Museum - 201 Renmin Avenue, People's SquareShanghai, 200003

5. Louvre  Museum - Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris, France

6. The British Museum - Great Russell St, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 3DG, UK

7. Rijksmuseum - Museumstraat 1, 1071 XX Amsterdam, Netherlands

8. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum - 1071 5th Ave, New York, NY 10128

9. The Museum of Modern Art - 11 W 53rd St, New York, NY 10019

@ErmesT @FaridTDF, with all your worldly travels, what are yours?

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Hola @KarenVChin, gracias por el tag, en general cuando estoy en una ciudad nueva los museos históricos y de arte moderno son mi debilidad, me gusta visitarlos para ver tanto el arte de los autores modernos como los contemporaneos, no por que conozca o tenga una sensibilidad especial al contemplar la obra solo porque me gustan... 

Algunos de los museos que me gustaron son el Museo de Bellas artes de Buenos Aires.

CA08AADD-7198-46BE-9DE3-C3CEAE2A22A6.jpeg

1670D349-206F-4C5F-A679-DB30305DA8BA.jpeg

C2291E25-2836-4D0C-A8E1-171EDAFD2512.jpeg

Otro al que concurría mucho de adolescente es el museo de arte de Tucumán

u otro como el museo de Antioquia en Colómbia con obras de Botero y otros

83DA49A3-BA61-411F-A95F-23A342355A00.jpeg

1635D168-954A-43AD-96B9-344F9925472F.jpeg

y por supuesto mi querido museo Fueguino de Arte en Río Grande del,cual soy muy asiduo,cuando cambian las exposiciones...

A450B862-D847-42F1-80D5-AFE8A0B9CFC2.jpeg

FC15136F-4FEE-4F69-A9CF-D3F999BF08FE.jpeg

C0835325-FA59-4515-B688-C18DD471A457.jpeg

y tantos otros otros que no alcanzaría el post para nombrarlos a todos...

Saludos Farid

🤚👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Level 10

Nice photos @FaridTDF

Level 9

wow @kmajewski I love this topic. It is very informative and interesting.  Many many thanks for sharing with us @FaridTDF @KarenVChin.

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 10

I love contemporary and pop art 🙂

The last weekend I had the opportunity to visit a great place, in Milan, Fondazione Prada; you should visit it when you are around.

Here is my review: https://goo.gl/maps/tSnFW2eZRVz

And some images from the collection (you can find many on my contributions)

Connect Moderator

4295C91F-5104-4761-8C94-0139CD05E57B.jpeg

Why should I go to Zadar in 🇭🇷 Croatia and think about @kmajewski ???

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r