kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Where to eat suya in Lagos, Nigeria

Caption: A photo of a man cooking suya, meat skewers, in boiling oil over a barbecue at Glover Court Suya in Lagos, Nigeria. (Local Guide Mahbub Baset)Caption: A photo of a man cooking suya, meat skewers, in boiling oil over a barbecue at Glover Court Suya in Lagos, Nigeria. (Local Guide Mahbub Baset)

One of the most popular foods in Nigeria, and West Africa in general, is suya—spicy meat skewers similar to kebabs. It’s traditionally made with thinly sliced meat, like beef, ram, chicken, or innards, which is then coated in spices and barbecued on skewers. Suya originated with the Hausa people in Northern Nigeria, but has become popular throughout the country with different regions claiming their own special recipe.

In Lagos, you can try many different versions of suya and there are many opinions on which place is the best. Here’s where Local Guides recommend going to try this tasty dish.

Glover Court Suya

“Great place for Suya. Their chicken Suya is really good. Clearly one of the best places for Suya in Lagos.” -Local Guide Sowemimo Olubukola James

Bukka Hut

“They have the best ram suya in lagos. 😁😁😁 well marinated and grilled over naked flames and smoke. It has a sitting area where u can chill and eat and even order drinks as well.” -Local Guide bethia idoko

University of Suya

“For those who eat "suya" i.e roasted beef or chicken, this is one place you should try. Literarily, you will be served by Professors of the art of making and selling suya…” -Local Guide Abraham Idokoko Abraham

Suya Spot in Mende

“The best suya joint on the Mainland. They have been here over 30 years.” -Local Guide Warren Oluwasanya

What’s one dish you would recommend tourists try in your city? Tell us in the comments below!

13 comments
Level 10

Re: Where to eat suya in Lagos, Nigeria

Nice post @kmajewski. Thanks for sharing with us. Yeah there is definitely a more popular dish I would recommend everyone to try when they visit Nigeria, it is the Nigerian Jollof :). There are also more recommendations here:

Recommend A Must Taste Food For Local Guides To Try When They Visit Your City 

Level 8

you can try out masa (rice cake) in northern part of Nigeria check how it been done here

Level 4

University of Suya at Alade, Allen 

Level 8

Seeing the post I can not cope with the temptation. If I visit Nigeria I don't want to miss Suya ❤️ @kmajewski

Hi @kmajewski,

I definitely agree with @SShuvo the dish looks very tasty. @kmajewski I wonder, is it very spicy? Can I make them at home? I would love to visit Nigeria, and maybe one of the places you mentioned, so I want to be prepared 🙂 

By the way, I think that @Aruni would like the dish as well, she is into spicy things 🙂 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!
Level 10

Hi @MoniV it is a very spicy meal as it is eaten with dry grounded pepper. Am not really sure you can make them at home because I haven't come across anyone before who has tried that an became successful with it :D. Maybe you can try making one for a start let's see how it goes. You are also welcome to Nigeria, whenever you plan to visit, let us know, I and the Nigerian local guides community are here to guide you with a lot to do and of course eat too 🙂

Level 9

Nice dish @kmajewski suya in Lagos thank you for sharing with us...

Hi @HelloSamsonR,

Thank you for the invitation 🙂 when I decide to visit Nigeria I will get in touch with you guys.

And I will try making the dish at home and will share if it's been successful. I wanted to try it at home, because my husband really loves spicy food.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!
Level 6

Sate enak...😁🙋

purnama j