NadyaPN's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Where to eat in Kreuzberg, Berlin

Caption: A photo of the inside of Markthalle Neun, an indoor bazaar in Kreuzberg, Berlin. There are big windows on the roof and yellow lights hanging over various food stands. (Local Guide @NadyaPN)Caption: A photo of the inside of Markthalle Neun, an indoor bazaar in Kreuzberg, Berlin. There are big windows on the roof and yellow lights hanging over various food stands. (Local Guide @NadyaPN)

If you’re looking for cultural diversity and gastronomic adventures, Kreuzberg is the place to be. It’s a contemporary, hip area of Berlin, Germany, which is famous for its artistic atmosphere and an abundance of food and drink options.

Kreuzberg is the southern neighbor of Mitte—the central borough of Berlin. This makes it easily reachable from most parts of the city.

I recently visited a friend in Berlin and she was kind enough to show me around Kreuzberg. There were many different restaurants there—Middle Eastern, South American, African, and more. As this was my fourth visit, I had already had many German Wurst sausages, so this time I wanted to try something else.

Here are three great places to enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner in Berlin, based on my experience.

1. Breakfast at Markthalle Neun 

Caption: A photo of baked breads and pastries on display at a breakfast stall in Markthalle Neun, Berlin. There are croissants, brioches, muffins, slices of pizza, and more. (Local Guide @NadyaPN)Caption: A photo of baked breads and pastries on display at a breakfast stall in Markthalle Neun, Berlin. There are croissants, brioches, muffins, slices of pizza, and more. (Local Guide @NadyaPN)

The first place I want to recommend to fellow Local Guides is Markthalle Neun. This is a super cozy daytime bazaar, which offers a good variety of breakfast and brunch options, as well as fresh produce and handcrafted items.

I went there to have breakfast before a long day of shopping and sightseeing. The Christmas spirit was taking over the place, which was already decorated with beautiful lights, and there was a pine aroma in the air.

2. Lunch at Sheers Schnitzel

Caption: A photo of a paper plate with a schnitzel, fries, a slice of lemon, and parsley on a red table. (Local Guide @NadyaPN)Caption: A photo of a paper plate with a schnitzel, fries, a slice of lemon, and parsley on a red table. (Local Guide @NadyaPN)

On my second day, we went to Clash, a cool rock bar promoting equality and tolerance. Afterward, my friend and I had a quick bite at Sheers Schnitzel—a fast casual restaurant, serving authentic schnitzels. If you wonder what a schnitzel is, it’s a breaded thinly sliced pork filet. The classic version, popular in Austria and Germany, comes with potato salad or fries.

I’d definitely recommend Sheers Schnitzel to everyone who’s looking for a nice, inexpensive meal. A schnitzel with fries and green salad cost as little as five euro.

3. Dinner at Kimchi Princess

Caption: A photo of a Korean barbecue hot plate with raw minced meat, white and green onion, and glass noodles ready to be cooked. (Local Guide @NadyaPN)Caption: A photo of a Korean barbecue hot plate with raw minced meat, white and green onion, and glass noodles ready to be cooked. (Local Guide @NadyaPN)

On my last night in Berlin, I wanted to try something I’d never tried before. My friend suggested an amazing Korean restaurant called Kimchi Princess. We had Korean barbeque, which was cooked right in front of us.

Even though we were seated almost immediately, the place seemed quite popular, so you might have to wait a bit for a table. The only drawback was the ventilation system, which wasn’t efficient enough, and the smoke stuck to our clothes for a while. However, considering the great time we had, this was a small price to pay.

The food scene in Berlin is very diverse, and there are always new places to explore. Have you tried a new restaurant recently? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Berlin, Germany
31 comments

Re: Where to eat in Kreuzberg, Berlin

What a great range of culinary culture you have managed to cover, @NadyaPN!

That reminds me that it is important to to go an unknown and let you taste bud to lead your path. : ]

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator.
Thank you!
Google Moderator

Hey @NadyaPN,

It's a good thing that I already had my lunch before reading your post. Everything looks so delicious. 

I really enjoyed Kreuzberg's vibe when I visited it last year. It is such a colorful neighborhood. My friend and I went there to get a traditional Italian pizza. I had the buffalo mozzarella and prosciutto pizza but it was enormous so I only ate one third of it.

However, what impressed me the most was the Thai food in Thaipark which is cooked right in front of you. I was surprised to see that many people in the park who wanted to try the different dishes. There were savory and sweet options. I chose Thai chicken with vegetables which only cost five euros. 🙂

Here are some photos from the park which I was able to take right before we sat on a blanket and had our delicious lunch.

Caption: A photo showing the Thai food market in the park (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo showing the Thai food market in the park (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: Different Thai food options and a lady cooking the next meal (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: Different Thai food options and a lady cooking the next meal (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Thank you for introducing the culture of diversity @NadyaPN

Speaking of German facilities, I have an impression of being Robustness and clean. 

I am the one who loves cheap dishes!😆 I am interested in Sheers Schnitzel. I have already added it to the list😋 And surprisingly, Asian dishes such as Korea and Thailand are popular? It is different from the image when I visited Europe 25 years ago😮

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

@YasumiKikuchi I'm glad you liked the schnitzel place, you won't regret paying a visit. 🙂

About Berlin and Asian food: You'll be amazed by the diversity the city has to offer. You can find literally everything there. The first time I visited was in 2014 and it hasn't changed much since then, however, I am pretty sure you won't recognize it 25 years later. 

Do let me know if you need any travel tips, I'll be happy to help.

@MoniDi I was not aware of this Thaipark 😞 I'm definitely putting it on my list for the next time I visit Berlin.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Thank you @NadyaPN 
The European tradition is protected for a long time like a stone building. When I revisit Europe, I will ask for your help😄

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Connect Moderator

Hello @NadyaPN ,

SUPER that you did like "my" capital ! I remember a post from last summer, where you wrote that you are not such a big fan of the city, so now you are in the way to change your mind?!?! 😉

Berlin has such an impressive development behind and in front. It is really a town worth to spend lifetime!

Very nice that you showed the diversity via food. I did eat here in November: https://goo.gl/maps/F4nfoP2mzBK2 . Curry 36 has a great Currysausage. But for sure there is always the best Kebap Döner in Germany available.....

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r

@TorM I'm definitely about to change my mind. I totally love the food options. I think that next time I should visit in the warmer months of the year and this could help me enjoy it more. 🙂 

@YasumiKikuchi sure thing, ask ahead!

Hi @NadyaPN,

While reading your post I could just feel nothing but hungry. : )

Knowing that there are such places to enjoy Berlin, one wouldn't be scared of hunger. Honestly speaking I would like to try out all of those places.

I am going to share a photo of a burger and the place that saved my life in Beijing while I was in need of Western food. My favorite restaurant for such food in Beijing is called La Bamba. It is a Mexican restaurant and one can enjoy all of those delicious delicacies one can find there. What was also special for that place is that you can find beer from many places of the world and all students were given special cards that you can buy cheaper beer and food.

Caption: A photo of a burger with chicken meat, french fries and ketchup. (Local Guide @TsekoV)Caption: A photo of a burger with chicken meat, french fries and ketchup. (Local Guide @TsekoV)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Hey @NadyaPN I fully agree with @MoniDi about reading your post after lunch!;) Schnitzel sounds interesting, I wonder if you tried it with any sauce.  That's a nice pic of it though and also of the indoor bazaar:) Thanks for sharing the detailed review, looking for more.

Cheers!