dpnantz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

When will Google Fix the Problem of Saved Stars Disappearing?

All of my saved/starred locations disappear on Google maps after a year or so and as an avid traveler this is a huge, huge problem for being able to make recommendation to other travelers or plan trips. I’ve noticed that TripAdvisor is already creating a “memories” option to save locations because so many people are experiencing this problem with Google maps. It seems like a fairly easy fix but has been a reoccurring problem for Google for 5-7 years. Could you please pass the word along and try to resolve this? 

Raleigh, NC, United States
3 comments
Level 5
Level 5

Re: When will Google Fix the Problem of Saved Stars Disappearing?

So true!!! It happens after you've saved ~500 locations, which, for an avid traveler, is small potatoes.  This has been an issue for WAY too long Google!!!  Please solve this!

Level 7

All, I have found a fix to the missing stars problem. It has saved me a great deal of pain and frustration! First off, No need to panic, all of your “missing” stars are still saved. The fix will take a while, but you will get everything back. 

** Keep in mind, I am using Google Maps beta, so it is the most up to date Google Maps version

Instructions: Basically Google maps cannot show more than 500 stars and when you go over this limit, your old stars will be replaced by your newly marked stars on the map. (But, to repeat, your old stars will still be saved in the background). 

What you need to do is:

1) Have a plan to organize your map markers (stars) into a collection — either by state or country or whatever your preference. 

2) Go to your current list of stars. Click on the location/star, click “Save” and unstarring them. 

3) After you unstar your first location, click “Save” again but then click “New list”. 

4) Title your new list however you want “Florida,” “Iceland,” “Great Restaurants,” etc. 

5) You can now save at least 500 place under this list. As you unstar locations, your old ones will reappear. 

** This look me days to do, but as an avid traveler I had thousands of stars and now I have everything organized into dozens of lists by state and country. 

Best, 

Derrick

Level 7

@dpnantz

Thanks for your suggestion. It is involved, and very time consuming, and unfortunately, IMO the results are not satisfactory. The new "pin" markers are not drawn reliably - not visible at all zoom levels. When they're working properly, the Saved (Starred places) markers work better.

Like others here and on the massive thread about this on Google's Product Forums (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/Vlm6DJ1mVoo), I have a lot of stars (over 1200), and am experiencing this problem too. 

Google - please fix this for us! We travel a lot, we use most of the features of Maps, and it is wonderful, but this is really a problem when you need to rely on it and it is not reliable.

Screenshot 2018-08-17 14.54.29.pngScreenshot 2018-08-17 14.53.52.png