awesomecreation's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

New Perk from Google for Local guides!

Hey, I'm sure that some of you have seen this, but Google just gave out a new perk. I saw it my email box today. Here is the info:

A Smithsonian Earth Perk for Local Guides
Explore the wonders of nature and wildlife from the comfort of your couch. Redeem this perk for a free nine-month subscription of Smithsonian Earth, the Smithsonian Channel's streaming service. Redeem by July 31, 2018.
How to redeem
Click the button below to create your Smithsonian Earth account
Select the monthly subscription
Enter your credit card information
Apply your offer code under "Promo Code" at checkout
Hit "Purchase" to start your extended free trial
Questions? Get them answered here
Your card will automatically be charged once your free trial is over. You can cancel your subscription at any time.

So basically, it's 9 months of free access to the wonderful smithsonian library. You just have to remember to cancel before the 9 months are up so you don't get charged. I was given the code above to use. For some perks, I've had to search, so you guys might want to look and see if you can find info on it. Please let me know if it works for you guys!

15 comments
Level 9

When is a perk not a perk...

...when you need to provide your credit card number. This is beyond insulting from Google. I'm happy to contribute, but spare me the advertisements. Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 3.30.18 PM.png

Level 9

Re: New Perk from Google for Local guides!

Hey @awesomecreation

I didn't got any mail from Google regarding this perk.

Also please.dont share the unique referral code given to you as it can be used only once and it's exclusively for you.

Regards,

Shravan😃

Level 8

Ahhh, I was not aware that the promo code was unique. Thanks for letting me know!

Level 4

Recieved similar email with my own unique code. Went to website, signed up, applied code. Went to check on actual renewal date under account details: still 30 days like everyone else. Not going to pay $4/month for wildlife youtube videos and being baited with a fake code is insulting. TL;DR: Code doesn't actually work...don't waste your time.

-Jack

Former Google Contributor

Hello @JackMaycock80, sorry for the confusion, but the system will automatically apply the additional time for the trial once the 30 days is over.

Please see: Google Local Guides FAQ

- Why does the site say the free trial is only 30 days?

When you redeem your Local Guides offer code, you will get the extended free trial period offered in your perk email.

Hope you enjoy the perk!

Former Google Contributor

Hello @DanielWB I merged your post here New Perk from Google for Local guides! since it's the same topic about the Smithsonian Earth Perk. 

We understand that it is not comfortable to give a credit card information. Please be assured that you won't be charged during the free trial period offered in your perk email. 

Level 4

How do I go about deleting this post? Still not signing up, but if they've fixed the issue, then I don't want to discourage others.

Level 7

Thanks for the info.

I was about to sign up but didn't bother since anybody can sign up for the free 30 days so didn't sound like any perk to me.

Had to read the fine-print to even notice it was for additional 8 months instead of 30 LOL

Level 5

Smithsonian Earth perk for Local Guides

The recent "perk" Smithsonian Earth perk for Local Guides. This requires credit card information, I do not have any credit cards, bank cards or even a bank account. Yet for a "free" perk is requires a credit card that will be charged for the service, I contacted Smithsonian and asked them of any other way to receive the perk. The answer was no.
If Google is going to give these perks we have to pay for, why even bother calling it free or complimentary? Google should send us a premade token or activation code rather than a promo code for guides such as myself that do not use credit/bank card or banks at all.