Andréas_S_Eriksson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

When in Norway

I live in Sweden. Neighbouring country to Norway. Although the countries are much the same in many ways the landscape are so dramatically different in Norway than in Sweden. In Sweden there are quite large areas that are plains. Perfect for farming.

In Norway there are no plain spaces. Or so it seems when traveling on high and winding roads. There are a lots of mountains. High mountains and many of them are 800 meters high or higher. When driving on these roads one should know that road accidents in Norway occur, but they are not the most violent because people drive rather slow and carefully. Top speed allowed are just 80 km/h (just under 50 mph). Some of the roads winds back and forth on the hill sides. Like the famous Trollstigen.
Photo: Chell HillPhoto: Chell Hill

After driving up one of those horrible roads It is nice to have a break for coffee. Like at this place; 985 meter above sea level in the mountains over Håra.
Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonPhoto: Andréas S. Eriksson

Just 30 minutes later on the same road the darkness was upon us and the sun set in a beautiful scenery. This picture is taken from the Knut Vesthassel memorial. The man who in 1956-1960 extended the road from that point and all the way down to the town of Sauda. The memorial itself was not on Google Maps so I added it. 😉

Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonPhoto: Andréas S. ErikssonThe Knut Vesthassel memorial. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonThe Knut Vesthassel memorial. Photo: Andréas S. Eriksson

On the way down from the mountains and in to Sauda town one passes som rather oddly shaped buildings. This is the Allmannajuvet Zink Mines. The mine itself are closed since the late 1860´s and after that this place fell out of people's memories. In 2010 the town of Sauda announced a competition for architects to remake this area in to something that would tell the story of the mine and the people that worked there. Swiss architect Peter Zumthor was awarded the task of designing all of the area. In my opinion it was the best thing I have seen in a long time.
 A map over the area. In zink. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonA map over the area. In zink. Photo: Andréas S. Eriksson

The cafe and information center. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonThe cafe and information center. Photo: Andréas S. Eriksson

Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonPhoto: Andréas S. ErikssonThe inside o the cafe. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonThe inside o the cafe. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonPhoto: Andréas S. ErikssonPhoto: Andréas S. Eriksson

This day ended by us getting to the small town of Odda. The port of Odda are actually on the Atlantic ocean although it is situated many miles inland. This is the Norwegian fjords. Long and narrow passages from the cost and stretching inlands. The passages may only be 120-150 meter wide but they can run down to depths of 300 meters.

The port in Odda. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonThe port in Odda. Photo: Andréas S. Eriksson

When visiting Norway one thing you must nit miss is to visit one or some of the stave churches. Built all in wood in the 1150-1220 they are the signs of the nordic countries turning to christian beliefs. Today there are 28 of them left and the biggest of them are Heddal Stave church. If you goes here be prepared to meet a lot of people here. The church are open for tourists but you have to buy a ticket for that but with that ticket you could get a private guided tour of the church by one of the guides outside the church.
Heddal Stave church. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonHeddal Stave church. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonThe surroundings of Heddal Stave church. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonThe surroundings of Heddal Stave church. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonThe altar in Heddal Stave church. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonThe altar in Heddal Stave church. Photo: Andréas S. ErikssonPhoto: Andréas S. ErikssonPhoto: Andréas S. Eriksson

This is just a few things you can see and do when in Norway. I myself have already started looking for new places to visit in Norway and I am going back there as soon as possible.

Andréas S. Eriksson
Norway
6 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: When in Norway

Thanks for sharing @Andréas_S_Eriksson that would be an awesome ride on a motorbike 🙂

Level 9

Many thanks @PaulPavlinovich.
My younger brother did travel in Norway by motorbike some years ago. It is a good country for that. All the nordic countries have the right for everyone to stay one night in any location as long as it does not interfere with security and at least 150 meters from residential houses. This right are called Allemansrätten (Every man's right, roughly translated). This makes it very easy to set up camp when ever ones feels like it. There is a gas station almost in every little village and on most of these stations you can buy basic groceries.

Andréas S. Eriksson
Connect Moderator

That is really cool @Andréas_S_Eriksson in Australia camping is more restricted with most towns now allowing any kind of camping within their town except in marked campgrounds. Outside of towns as long as you're not interfering with a land owner you can do just about anything you want.

Level 8

Thanks for sharing the interesting post and the lovely pictures. My cousin who had travelled to Norway some years ago had only wonderful things to talk about it. I find the 'camp anywhere' concept interesting!:)

Cheers!

Google Vendor

What a great post @Andréas_S_Eriksson! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. How many days long was the trip? Was it easy to find facilities like gas stations, grocery shops or restaurants?

It is the first time I am looking at a church constructed with wood. The architecture and the interior of the church impressed me a lot.

The Trollstigen reminded me of Transfăgărășan in Romania. Here is a photo from there:

Caption: The Transfăgărășan mountain road, Carpathian Mountains of Romania (Local Guide Šimon Langer).Caption: The Transfăgărășan mountain road, Carpathian Mountains of Romania (Local Guide Šimon Langer).

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Very nice pictures @Andréas_S_Eriksson 

I in fact missed your post several month ago.

Never have visited this part of Norway. I did live in North Norway for 1 1/2 year, but in the South I only know Oslo Drammen and Lillehammer....

But maybe soon comes the time to go there again.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r